Broadband Speed

Both be on different bands on the wi fi, laptop probably on the 2.4 , slower speeds but more range and your phone on the 5, faster speeds but less range, just check in your device settings , network, that should tell you what's what.
Would that account for the big difference in speed?
Sky have guaranteed 32 mbps into house but to only get 8 is a bit shit.
Both be on different bands on the wi fi, laptop probably on the 2.4 , slower speeds but more range and your phone on the 5, faster speeds but less range, just check in your device settings , network, that should tell you what's what.

It's the same in this house WI fi is faster on the 5 band get 50mbs but only 20 on the 2.4, phones tend to use more up to date firmware which use the 5 band, but tablets etc on Android may have older firmware, plug your laptop into the router it'll show you the difference in speeds

It's the same in this house WI fi is faster on the 5 band get 50mbs but only 20 on the 2.4, phones tend to use more up to date firmware which use the 5 band, but tablets etc on Android may have older firmware, plug your laptop into the router it'll show you the difference in speeds
Aye it's no bother when i connect it with yellow cable but like i said 8mbps seems slow even for WiFi.

Aye it's no bother when i connect it with yellow cable but like i said 8mbps seems slow even for WiFi.
Like I said, check in your laptop settings and see what wi fi network setting it is on, sure it'll be on 2.4, your laptop may not pick up the 5 band, I had similar problems till I went in the router settings & split the bands.

is your phone definitely using the same wifi and not its own 4g? how are you testing? is it the same for testmy.net and speedtest.net?

Same WiFi and using Ookla for both.
Like I said, check in your laptop settings and see what wi fi network setting it is on, sure it'll be on 2.4, your laptop may not pick up the 5 band, I had similar problems till I went in the router settings & split the bands.

SSID: SKYRZBWC
Protocol: Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
Security type: WPA2-Personal
Network band: 5 GHz
Network channel: 36

Last edited:
Same WiFi and using Ookla for both.

SSID: SKYRZBWC
Protocol: Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
Security type: WPA2-Personal
Network band: 5 GHz
Network channel: 36
So your on the 5 band, should get decent speed, but has got range issues, see what it's like nearer the router, you could also try the 2.4 band if it's available if you want to use it at distance from your router?

So your on the 5 band, should get decent speed, but has got range issues, see what it's like nearer the router, you could also try the 2.4 band if it's available if you want to use it at distance from your router?

I just tried a speedtest and now get 32mbps but only half an hour ago i could only manage 8mbps, so it seems to be varying throughout the day,

I just tried a speedtest and now get 32mbps but only half an hour ago i could only manage 8mbps, so it seems to be varying throughout the day,
Has anyone been streaming video while you have been testing? You need to make sure everything is offline to get a true test. CPs don’t guarantee WiFi either unless you have one of the Complete WiFi products like BT offers- I think sky may have a similar product

Back