Broadband / Fibre installation fee

I've moved into a house which has an old master socket in. EE are quoting me £50 for an engineer to call and put a new master socket on so that I can get Fibre connected.

Am I able to just change the master socket myself rather than pay £50 for an BT engineer visit? Seems rather pointless paying someone to do it if it's going to cost that much when I'd be quite capable of changing it myself.

Not even sure why they are saying I need a new master socket if there's already an existing one?

I bought a BT one and did mine myself, but don’t think you’re supposed to

Last edited:
I bought a faceplate and did mine myself, but don’t think you’re supposed to

This is what I'm thinking, I can get a new master socket for less than £10 and it's pretty simple wiring as far as I remember. If I get a new master socket put on in the next few days then ring EE and ask why they have arranged an engineer visit do you think they'll cancel it?

This is what I'm thinking, I can get a new master socket for less than £10 and it's pretty simple wiring as far as I remember. If I get a new master socket put on in the next few days then ring EE and ask why they have arranged an engineer visit do you think they'll cancel it?

depends, how did they know a new master was needed? Could always play dumb and just say the new one was already in place.

just check and make sure you get the latest BT fibre socket if you do it (can’t remember what the latest one is)

depends, how did they know a new master was needed? Could always play dumb and just say the new one was already in place.

just check and make sure you get the latest BT fibre socket if you do it (can’t remember what the latest one is)

It said online when I did the check mate then they mentioned it when I phoned up to order.

From memory I think there is only 4 wires and the cables just push into the connectors.

I suppose it depends if any new external cabling is needed or if it's just the internal box.

As long as they have laid cable to your house all you need is a krone tool and a BT master socket. Amazon is your friend (for both)

I've moved into a house which has an old master socket in. EE are quoting me £50 for an engineer to call and put a new master socket on so that I can get Fibre connected.

Am I able to just change the master socket myself rather than pay £50 for an BT engineer visit? Seems rather pointless paying someone to do it if it's going to cost that much when I'd be quite capable of changing it myself.

Not even sure why they are saying I need a new master socket if there's already an existing one?

They have saved you, do NOT go with EE for your fibre.

I would recommend Zen. They run rings around the likes of EE.

You'll have much less hassle with them, you'll get a much better service, static IP and tip top support. Much better router as well.

They have saved you, do NOT go with EE for your fibre.

I would recommend Zen. They run rings around the likes of EE.

You'll have much less hassle with them, you'll get a much better service, static IP and tip-top support. Much better router as well.

Thanks for that pal. They look pretty shit-hot when it comes to customer satisfaction and stable connections.
I've been with Sky since they bought out Be, but I've been meaning to give them the elbow for a while.

Thanks for that pal. They look pretty shit-hot when it comes to customer satisfaction and stable connections.
I've been with Sky since they bought out Be, but I've been meaning to give them the elbow for a while.

You won't go far wrong with Zen mate, proper ISP!

Out of interest, what area are you in? Just cos loads of providers are jumping on the government's promise to get full fibre (to the home - not using old copper phone lines) so this may be on the cards before you sign up to another provider!

You won't go far wrong with Zen mate, proper ISP!

Out of interest, what area are you in? Just cos loads of providers are jumping on the government's promise to get full fibre (to the home - not using old copper phone lines) so this may be on the cards before you sign up to another provider!
SR1. Just had a check and I can get their Superfast but not Ultrafast yet. TBH Superfast is easily enough for what we use it for.

Last edited:
I've recently moved house and had sky broadband ordered since the 19th July, they have cancelled it twice and blamed Openreach. Getting fed up with Sky but has anyone experienced this problem before? Previous owners had Sky broadband in so not sure what the issue could be. May be sky of course but nearly a month without WIFI is horrendous

I've recently moved house and had sky broadband ordered since the 19th July, they have cancelled it twice and blamed Openreach. Getting fed up with Sky but has anyone experienced this problem before? Previous owners had Sky broadband in so not sure what the issue could be. May be sky of course but nearly a month without WIFI is horrendous

Another blessing, forget sky and go with a proper ISP mate.

Go with Zen, or if you don't fancy them, get a good cachback deal with BT.

Moved my master socket recently. You're not supposed to but the charges are daft and it's a piece of piss.

Might be a bit different if you have an older socket, ours was installed a few months ago and looks slightly different to the version in the video, but it was pretty much the same as this.

Wiring it involves two wires, don't even need any special tools.

Last edited:

Back