British Food For Ex-pats

You're gonna spend all your cash on cheese aren't you? :lol:

:) Cheese is lovely. @mux and @Son of Stan very kindly took me to a NE cheese farm when I was over last year. Loved it and cannot wait to be back there soon. They had some much nice cheeses. :cool:

And pork pies. Make sure they’re Melton Mowbray though Alex.

Already checked. They are available on there. :)

When you are away from your constitutional norms for a period of time, home comforts mean a lot.

Proper bread is a mainstay and other countries simply bread isn’t the same as what is available in every corner shop and supermarket.

It’s strange how this makes a difference on a very personal level.

Chocolate is another. Scandinavian milk chocolate is similar to UK milk chocolate. But I once was given a bar of American milk chocolate and it was very different. And I apologise to America based posters but it wasn't very nice.

Last edited:
I consider brioche to be bread anyways. If you can put a burger or hot dog in it, it is bread.

I found bread in supermarkets in America to be lifting. Could always find little bakerys like but the supermarket stuff was horrible

Expensive but I bet it does a good trade. There are British foods I miss when I have a weekend abroad so living abroad I would be nackered.
Like what? I can't think of anything at all and I've lived abroad more than once

Last edited:
you can buy most of that shit in Hong Kong anyway - but who really wants squash and mint sauce?

I take meat back here from the UK - beef joints, pork joints - anything - just plug it - 12 hours later , unpack and stick it in the freezer

Went to walmart earlier Original HP sauce $4.22 Branson pickle is $6.87 a small tin of Heinz tomato soup is $3.27 and a tin of Heinz Beans is $2.47.

I have used the online English food shop based here in DK for years but the lad who delivers the stuff you order told me last time that they aren't sure if they will be able to continue shop after Brexit kicks in. So I have had a snoop around and stumbled across this corner shop one. Looks glorious. And they deliver weekly and not just once a month like my current online English food shop. Plus this one looks to have much broader variety of brands as well.

If I order dry stuff I can get it delivered to my door for just thirteen quid. For up to thirty kilos ! They deliver chilled goods, too. Oh, Happy Days.

Am going to have a proper long snoop on there. Bet there will be some lovely cheeses.

Lidl is OK for beans and stuff mate, if you've a marksies that's always OK but expensive

Tesco also have a limited foreign food aisle with hp etc if its the same there.

Lad who owns a uk/us product shop here said the same re brexit, most of his custom is us lads so might be OK but I'll miss my worsester sauce crisps, double decker and wispas

My cousin saves hundreds of pounds by getting a flight from Geneva, to Liverpool, stock up at asda and go back.

Lidl is OK for beans and stuff mate, if you've a marksies that's always OK but expensive

Tesco also have a limited foreign food aisle with hp etc if its the same there.

Lad who owns a uk/us product shop here said the same re brexit, most of his custom is us lads so might be OK but I'll miss my worsester sauce crisps, double decker and wispas

We don't have any Tesco or Marksies here. And Danish supermarkets tend to sell what they know will sell and English food don't have a high rating there am afraid. Once in a blue moon Netto will have a bunch Red Leicester but they only have a few and only for a very short time. And when it comes to UK beer or ale you can get Newcastle Brown in most larger shops but little else unless there is a promotion thingie going on, which isn't a regular thing. Lidl's English & Irish Food Week twice a year would have had to do if my normal online food supplier calls it a day when Brexit kicks in. So am very happy to have found this corner shop website.

Maybe I could do my own lil' import/export thing. I could import lovely pork pies and cheeses and blue wrapped Wham bars in exchange of remoulade, Haribo Matador Mix, proper ryebread, bottles of Små Blå, pålægschokolade, æbleskiver pans and cheap tabs. :lol:

Last edited:
We don't have any Tesco or Marksies here. And Danish supermarkets tend to sell what they know will sell and English food don't have a high rating there am afraid. Once in a blue moon Netto will have a bunch Red Leicester but they only have a few and only for a very short time. And when it comes to UK beer or ale you can get Newcastle Brown in most larger shops but little else unless there is a promotion thingie going on, which isn't a regular thing. Lidl's English & Irish Food Week twice a year would have had to do if my normal online food supplier calls it a day when Brexit kicks in. So am very happy to have found this corner shop website.

Maybe I could do my own lil' import/export thing. I could import lovely pork pies and cheeses and blue wrapped Wham bars in exchange of remoulade, Haribo Matador Mix, proper ryebread, botttles of Små Blå, pålægschokolade, æbleskiver pans and cheap tabs. :lol:

Excellent idea. You’d need a UK counterpart to supply you with groceries and to sell the Danish bait to folks of the SMB.

Back