British culture

Didn't christian just kindof co-opt all of the already in place pagan festivals?

But your right in the sense that it doesn't come from here and neither did the romans. That was a big cultural influence!!

Aye definitely.

I think we’re just so exposed to other cultures now, or rather simplified, neatly packaged and marketed versions of other cultures, that we’ve become obsessed in being able to define what British culture is in the same way.

We have been Celtic, Roman, Saxon, pict, Scot, Viking, norsemen etc etc etc, we are and always have been a mix of invading forces, the only difference being that despite what the Right wing loons tell you, the current “invaders” are raping a lot less these days.

What about pillaging?

Our culture is essentially a mish-mash of foreign influences as has been said but Engkland as a country and Britain as union of countries is firmly established in Christianity.

A unified England was engineered by the religious zealot, Alfred the Great who thought he was acting on a quest under God's command. There's a direct line that traces the beginnings of our common law to him. Alfred did that great British institution 'concession' pretty well too. He was wise enough on defeating the Danes to marry them into his family immediately.

His daughter, Æthelflæd (she was brilliant) also represented the great British institution of what would become 'compromise' and I think compromise is the one thing that sums up what we are the most. We have also been insulated by our island status, I suppose which gave us an advantage over the rest of Europe as well as protecting an English identity and common rights when we were ruled by the French..

It might involve a few battles first but eventually everyone gets round a table and sorts shit out and it shows. We still do concessions well - from Magna Carta onwards. Nowadays we elect governors who are neither too far to the right or too far to the left. We generally don't do dictatorships. We like fair play.

I like being English and British. I'm quite proud that this soup of compromise allowed us to bat so very much above our weight considering that we are the size of a postage stamp. Our culture featured heavily in that.

Are you sure? Seems very high. Where did they go? As it wasn't 5% in 1940s.

It's possible that it was a very brief high water mark, and there's an element of doubt on any figures because not all census data from the time recorded ethnicity or were all that accurate. In 1800 the population of London was approx 1m, so black people on or near that time were around 50k. Maybe that's on the high side but they were definitely in 5 fugures at the start of the century and there was an influx of 10 to 15 thousand when slaves started to the freed on landing on British soil, and then the slave trade was dismantled altogether. Also bear in mind what is/was classed as the black population, which would have included someone with one black parent or one black grandparent.

The subsequent reductions are a combination of black people moving out to colonial territories and their descendants being mixed to the point of invisibility.

Tbh I'm trying to remember where I read the 5% but it's undeniable that the black presence in London at that time has been airbrushed out of history

That’s not really true.

The 19th and 20th centuries saw the North East get pretty much built by Scottish, Irish, Italians, Germans, Yemenis and many more groups.

We are a region built by migration from afar. The pre-industrial population of the NE was tiny and in Sunderland, almost non-existant.

That's a good point. My dad was from Th0rnley and like a lot of the pit villages in County Durham had an agricultural population of around 50. After the mine opened that rose sharply to around 3000 and about half were Irish. The English and Irish were segregated by the main road through Thornley and it was dangerous to even cross over to the wrong side. Thornley was effectively two villages separated by a road. The mine obviously brought them together not just because of the working conditions but the disasters like the Thornley mine explosion in the 1840s. The Irish became instrumental in forming the Durham Miners Union and by the time my dad was married both witnesses had distinctive Irish surnames. In fact my great grandmother was Irish American as quite a few who went to America didn't settle and once they has saved enough money returned not to Ireland but County Durham which was a Little Ireland at the time.

It's possible that it was a very brief high water mark, and there's an element of doubt on any figures because not all census data from the time recorded ethnicity or were all that accurate. In 1800 the population of London was approx 1m, so black people on or near that time were around 50k. Maybe that's on the high side but they were definitely in 5 fugures at the start of the century and there was an influx of 10 to 15 thousand when slaves started to the freed on landing on British soil, and then the slave trade was dismantled altogether. Also bear in mind what is/was classed as the black population, which would have included someone with one black parent or one black grandparent.

The subsequent reductions are a combination of black people moving out to colonial territories and their descendants being mixed to the point of invisibility.

Tbh I'm trying to remember where I read the 5% but it's undeniable that the black presence in London at that time has been airbrushed out of history

Interesting. I'll have a look at the history.

And?

Wanting to control immigration isn’t racist.

It is when it's a whites only policy that @ErichZann is advocating

He made the comment in response to another about people not wanting non-whites in the UK.

So why not pull erichzan up about not wanting non whites over here? Is it because it fits in with your world view?

This is a fair post, however I think because the current waves of immigration are much larger and contain peoples from more distant cultures they are able to stay within their own communities and as such do not assimilate like our grandads and great grandads did.

Time mate give it time....

Last edited:
It is when it's a whites only policy that @ErichZann is advocating

So why not pull erichzan up about not wanting non whites over here? Is it because it fits in with your world view?

I had to go back to the first page of the thread to have a clue what you’re on about and if you think he’s expressing that as his own view you’re not worth engaging with.

I had to go back to the first page of the thread to have a clue what you’re on about and if you think he’s expressing that as his own view you’re not worth engaging with.

How can I not interpret it that way? You must be a mind reader if you think otherwise.

Up to you if you 'engage' though. Not bothered either way. I rather you didn't tbh you seem a up your own arse racist anyway.

How can I not interpret it that way? You must be a mind reader if you think otherwise.

Up to you if you 'engage' though. Not bothered either way. I rather you didn't tbh you seem a up your own arse racist anyway.

It was fairly clear to anyone with a bit of common sense that he was suggesting some people that voted for Brexit on the basis of immigration may have a problem with non-whites, not that he advocated that policy himself.

Also, please feel free to post some examples of me being an “up my own arse racist.” I won’t hold my breath.

I don't advocate a whites only policy....I'm not even sure what is going on anymore tbh mate

You should have made that more clear then or come on before to clarify your poor post. Personally I feel brexit didnt happen just because some people don't like non whites. There are a multitude of reasons why the general populace got frustrated with the current status quo.

It was fairly clear to anyone with a bit of common sense that he was suggesting some people that voted for Brexit on the basis of immigration may have a problem with non-whites, not that he advocated that policy himself.

Also, please feel free to post some examples of me being an “up my own arse racist.” I won’t hold my breath.

Up your own arse- "I had to go back to the first page of the thread to have a clue what you’re on about and if you think he’s expressing that as his own view you’re not worth engaging with."

racist- have a look at your posting history or avatar. If it smells like shit, feels like shit, tastes like shit, invariably its shit.

Last edited:
Up your own arse- "I had to go back to the first page of the thread to have a clue what you’re on about and if you think he’s expressing that as his own view you’re not worth engaging with."

racist- have a look at your posting history or avatar. If it smells like shit, feels like shit, tastes like shit, invariably its shit.

I don’t need to look at it, I posted it after all.

You’re making the accusation, I expect you to back it up or retract it.

I don’t need to look at it, I posted it after all.

You’re making the accusation, I expect you to back it up or retract it.

Rather not. That would make me a liar.

Are you one of these pseudo right wing intellects like tommy or joey. Whereby you can convey your racistness without writing or saying anything that is black and white racist?

Rather not. That would make me a liar.

Are you one of these pseudo right wing intellects like tommy or joey. Whereby you can convey your racistness without writing or saying anything that is black and white racist?

No of course not. You wouldn’t want to look silly.

By the way, doubling down might be the all the rage these days but it doesn’t usually make the person doing it look good.

No of course not. You wouldn’t want to look silly.

By the way, doubling down might be the all the rage these days but it doesn’t usually make the person doing it look good.

I'd rather look silly and be true than thinking I look good and be a racist. Each to there own marra. Crack on.

Back