British culture

It doesn't follow though, that immigrants are hated. A lot of people cited immigration as a problem, only because the UK is at bursting point and mass immigration without the infrastructure and funding(which went the opposite direction) has pushed our services to the limit. Nothing to do with hate.

Plus all those immigrants sending money home. That shouldn't be allowed.

Despite being loyal to the Scottish king, the Armstrongs were brutally treated when James I decided to end the lawlessness and 48 of their leaders were hanged without trial. The Bells were also classed as a lawless clan.

Has always been a blend of different cultures from around the globe thrown into a melting pot.

Wonder what our culture will be like in the future as a result of Brexit/the current resentment of 'foreigners' and will it be a better one in the eyes of those wanting things to be different?

British culture and the English language are amalgamations of foreign precursors , always have been.
I'd imagine the adopted culture we currently have, will be accepted as "British" despite having ancestry from afar.
The global connectivity of the internet will allow trends to circulate quickly irrespective of Britain being in or out the EU.
Sadly I think nationalism is on the rise through lack of education.

British culture and the English language are amalgamations of foreign precursors , always have been.
I'd imagine the adopted culture we currently have, will be accepted as "British" despite having ancestry from afar.
The global connectivity of the internet will allow trends to circulate quickly irrespective of Britain being in or out the EU.

Good post marra.

Yeah but it's not like he introduced Turkish customs to the UK.

I'm pretty sure if I look at an image of Victorian England I'd know which country it was in.

I might be wrong but I just don't think the culture was always this giant melting pot. We had very small influences few nations but it still looked and felt distinctly English or British.
Over the years Norway, Sweden and Denmark in Scandinavia the Viking. France, Holland and the Germanic people our own past and present royal family were of these foreign extraction.In recent years the Italian brought us fish and chip our national dish, ice cream and pizza and pasta and the fancy coffee you hipsters drink. We will not mention there early visit as Roman because what did they even do for us.The Chinese and Indians brought fantastic food or national drink and culture as well as the Caribbean food and music. The Christmas you are a about to enjoy was made popular by a German and most of the tradition were imported from there and Scandinavia

Over the years Norway, Sweden and Denmark in Scandinavia the Viking. France, Holland and the Germanic people our own past and present royal family were of these foreign extraction.In recent years the Italian brought us fish and chip our national dish, ice cream and pizza and pasta and the fancy coffee you hipsters drink. We will not mention there early visit as Roman because what did they even do for us.The Chinese and Indians brought fantastic food or national drink and culture as well as the Caribbean food and music. The Christmas you are a about to enjoy was made popular by a German and most of the tradition were imported from there and Scandinavia

Knows ^

Most of that was pretty recent, we were talking about hundreds of years ago if I'm not mistaken.

But fair points! Well said.

I think most of us have recentish ancestors from overseas. I have an Irish grandmother and one of my mates has a Polish grandfather. Eventually families just blend into the local culture and become themselves locals. Eventually their families start complaining about the bloody foreigners without a thought from where themselves had come from :lol:.

This is a fair post, however I think because the current waves of immigration are much larger and contain peoples from more distant cultures they are able to stay within their own communities and as such do not assimilate like our grandads and great grandads did.

This is a fair post, however I think because the current waves of immigration are much larger and contain peoples from more distant cultures they are able to stay within their own communities and as such do not assimilate like our grandads and great grandads did.
I agree the formation of ghettos makes integration a problem. Probably the same as the British in Spain.

Kids have more education now than they did in the 1930s when nationalism was rife.

The problem is exacerbated by scum media outlets who have always portrayed a section of society as the bogeyman or the enemy within.

Biggest difference is that expats in Spain primarily retirees or well off, so they're an economic plus rather than a burden. The Spanish still aren't that fond but accept them because of the economic benefit.
I think both groups of immigrants are useful as a whole and benefit their respective economies. The trouble is the volume of immigration in the UK means pressure is increased on our already stretched infrastructure like schools and doctors.

Allowing immigrants to have a competitive advantage in the jobs market also causes animosity e.g. living 20 to a house in London and being able to accept wages local families wouldn't be able to survive on, while having benefits paid for children overseas.

I think people need to acknowledge that there are problems that need sorting with immigration but it's something we need to grow our economy.

I think both groups of immigrants are useful as a whole and benefit their respective economies. The trouble is the volume of immigration in the UK means pressure is increased on our already stretched infrastructure like schools and doctors.

Allowing immigrants to have a competitive advantage in the jobs market also causes animosity e.g. living 20 to a house in London and being able to accept wages local families wouldn't be able to survive on, while having benefits paid for children overseas.

I think people need to acknowledge that there are problems that need sorting with immigration but it's something we need to grow our economy.

That's fair and I fully agree. If more people who lean left had this outlook I believe we'd have many more productive discussions about immigration on this forum. Immigration can be a net good when done right but right now we're getting it wrong.

Our culture has been a blend since we've been invaded hundreds of years ago.
Our language is made up of so many non-anglo-saxon words.
The Saxons themselves were invaders!
We have been Celtic, Roman, Saxon, pict, Scot, Viking, norsemen etc etc etc, we are and always have been a mix of invading forces, the only difference being that despite what the Right wing loons tell you, the current “invaders” are raping a lot less these days.

We have been Celtic, Roman, Saxon, pict, Scot, Viking, norsemen etc etc etc, we are and always have been a mix of invading forces, the only difference being that despite what the Right wing loons tell you, the current “invaders” are raping a lot less these days.

:) :) There should be no raping in the 21st century man.

The North East is probably the least melty bit of the pot like.

That’s not really true.

The 19th and 20th centuries saw the North East get pretty much built by Scottish, Irish, Italians, Germans, Yemenis and many more groups.

We are a region built by migration from afar. The pre-industrial population of the NE was tiny and in Sunderland, almost non-existant.

London's had various waves of immigrants for centuries who lived here and stayed here. The black population of London was possibly 5% 200 years ago, not to mention Jews, Huguenots etc

The black population of Britain during the 18th & 19th and early 2oth centuries was likely never more than 10,000. Almost all in London.

By 1948 it was 20,000. Since then its now surpassed 3 million (not including mixed race).

I'm a big immigration supporter and think positively of Labour and Blair's 1997 immigration legacy but I think people overhype the "blacks have been in huge numbers here for centuries"

They haven't, as I say it was never more than 10,000 (most likely) at any point prior the war. Immigration in the 18th & 19th centuries was almost exclusively dominated by the Irish.

Back