British airways amex.

Don't use mine very often but I keep it as an emergency backup as it has a high credit limit and American Express customer service tend to be better when you are in trouble.

Generally looking at about 4,000 > 5,000 points each way (from memory) but they're usually not worth redeeming on the short flights like this imo

The trouble for myself is I have 75k points banked at the moment. Everytime I look to use the points and companion, the taxes seem to be insane for New York. In the end with a companion ticket and using X amount of points it's cheaper to get a flight with another airline from Manchester and just get a train down.

As such I seem to just use my points for domestic or city breaks.

Any advice though for non UK or European trips to make use of these points and ticket much appreciated. Mostly NYC is my go to

The trouble for myself is I have 75k points banked at the moment. Everytime I look to use the points and companion, the taxes seem to be insane for New York. In the end with a companion ticket and using X amount of points it's cheaper to get a flight with another airline from Manchester and just get a train down.

Any advice though for non UK or European trips to make use of these points and ticket much appreciated. Mostly NYC is my go to
About the same amount as me. I’ve always booked economy tickets then used my miles to upgrade, had a few upper class flights with virgin that way. Have a look at the points guy on Instagram. Apparently it’s sometimes better to use your miles through a partner airline to get more value so I’m going to try that for the summer getaway (so long as airlines still exist in the summer).

When you book using a companion voucher and points do you normally get charged immediately for the taxes etc or does it only charge when the flights are?
Booked in Sept for next Aug and still haven't been charged for the fees and taxes. Flights all confirmed and showing on the App still though

When you book using a companion voucher and points do you normally get charged immediately for the taxes etc or does it only charge when the flights are?
Booked in Sept for next Aug and still haven't been charged for the fees and taxes. Flights all confirmed and showing on the App still though
You should have been charged immediately. BA changed their Avios pricing a little while back, booked flights for a couple of family members to Luxemburg just before Covid and the tax was something like £1 each , so you might wanna check if they have charged you a small amount that you could've missed.

Have you not just used avios to pay the taxes mate?

I need to check my accounts, but I must have around 250k Avios and Amex reward points

taxes cheaper if you fly from Scotland or other European cities as already advised below. Depends where you’re located in the UK though as to whether that’s doable.

You should have been charged immediately. BA changed their Avios pricing a little while back, booked flights for a couple of family members to Luxemburg just before Covid and the tax was something like £1 each , so you might wanna check if they have charged you a small amount that you could've missed.

It appears as a pending charge on my AMEX, but it never cleared. Checked since and no definitely haven't been. Couldn't for the life of me understand why they wouldn't charge immediately but it's not gone through.
Booking clearly shows up on the account though and I can see the Avios points that were used etc.
Have you not just used avios to pay the taxes mate?

I need to check my accounts, but I must have around 250k Avios and Amex reward points

Didn't think you could pay the taxes with Avios points, but fairly certain that I haven't done that either. Not sure how you could check this either.

Last edited:
It appears as a pending charge on my AMEX, but it never cleared. Checked since and no definitely haven't been. Couldn't for the life of me understand why they wouldn't charge immediately but it's not gone through.
Booking clearly shows up on the account though and I can see the Avios points that were used etc.

Didn't think you could pay the taxes with Avios points, but fairly certain that I haven't done that either. Not sure how you could check this either.

You never could mate, but they changed the rules last year. Mind it’s a bit of a con tbh

You never could mate, but they changed the rules last year. Mind it’s a bit of a con tbh

Well, if they've somehow managed to do that for me on transatlatic long haul flights with the outward journey in Business class (4 of us) then I'm more than happy! For now, I'll just keep assuming at some point they're going to realise its not been charged and put it through.

Quick question, you can collect avois points shopping online and instore if you register the card with an app, if you pay with a BA Amex do you get double points on the purchases and the use of the amex?

Quick question, you can collect avois points shopping online and instore if you register the card with an app, if you pay with a BA Amex do you get double points on the purchases and the use of the amex?
Cant help with the question but the app (if you have the premium card) is giving 2 additional points for each £1 spent, expires on the 15th and you need to activate it.

Cant help with the question but the app (if you have the premium card) is giving 2 additional points for each £1 spent, expires on the 15th and you need to activate it.

I did that - it’s up to 4,000 points by mid June.

Bought a new car last night on my AMEX BA card - so with that offer I get around 25,000 points.

Should have a balance of over 100,000 now. And two companion vouchers to use.

Just need to be able to travel like.

I did that - it’s up to 4,000 points by mid June.

Bought a new car last night on my AMEX BA card - so with that offer I get around 25,000 points.

Should have a balance of over 100,000 now. And two companion vouchers to use.

Just need to be able to travel like.
Sorry just checked and it is June.

Where did you buy a car who took Amex? Nice little bonus there.

I have over 400,000 to use as I put all my business expenses on it, just need to be allowed to fly now.

Just applied for Amex Gold. Any tips?
first up I'm hoping you used a referral from somebody?

Only advice I can give is get the app and look at the offers, some random ones pop up that get you decent points/cashback. If you do much online shopping then always check if the site gives extra if you use the amex app as well.

Back