Bristol Rovers away ...

I’m an unsociable sod so I should really keep my big nose out as it probably won’t involve me either way but I’m a bit mystified why people have agreed on the Commercial rooms. It just looks a bland Weatherspoons.

The King Street brewhouse in contrast looks miles better with outside wooden tables and a bar devoted to sport. Might be a plus on what is forecast to be the hottest day of the year: sitting outside in the sun.

And if the pub is not to everyone's taste then there are twenty others in the same street.

Still like I said it’s none of my business. I’m off to the match.

to be honest whoever turns up will be there a maximum of 2 hours (12-2). i'm sure we all will have drank in worse pubs before. i'm there for 3 days so hoping to see at least 20 pubs, got some corkers on my hit list. any you can recommend for friday (all day) and saturday evening?

How’s everyone getting to the ground from there? Bus??

could potentially book a couple of 8 seaters if they are available. probably work out cheaper per person

to be honest whoever turns up will be there a maximum of 2 hours (12-2). i'm sure we all will have drank in worse pubs before. i'm there for 3 days so hoping to see at least 20 pubs, got some corkers on my hit list. any you can recommend for friday (all day) and saturday evening?

could potentially book a couple of 8 seaters if they are available. probably work out cheaper per person

Tractor and trailer down these parts loike.

Tricky one this, they will be scrapping like hell after a good result at Pompey. Our record isn’t anything to shout about down there either. A game required.

Last edited:
Looking at timings, I'm not going to get to Bristol till about 1.30pm so thinking of heading to the Inn on the Green, what is the parking like around there @Grumpy Old Man , do they have match day restrictions? Cheers

Looking at timings, I'm not going to get to Bristol till about 1.30pm so thinking of heading to the Inn on the Green, what is the parking like around there @Grumpy Old Man , do they have match day restrictions? Cheers

It's outside the rpz areas, so there are no restrictions in that sense. There'll be restrictions on Filton Road itself, as it's the A38, and a major radial road into the city. Side street parking in Bristol is always something of a lottery, as much of the housing is terraced, and has no off-street parking. You may have to drive round for a while to find a space.

Parking around the Inn on the Green will be almost non-existant most side roads are usually jam packed from the residents parking. Not sure on restrictions for residents only either. I believe the Inn on the Green will be home fans only too.

For people coming up from the town centre, I know the 73 bus goes from the city centre right past the ground but no doubt the buses will be delayed due to heavy traffic near the ground. it could take a good 30-40 mins on any bus to get from the centre to the Memorial stadium. Another alternative would be to get the bus up from the centre a little earlier and drop into the Sportsman pub. The walk from the Sportsman to the ground takes around 15 mins. Loads of space in the Sportsman too if I remember correctly with around 4 pool tables upstairs if thats your thing.

If some people fancy a pub crawl from the centre up to the stadium there a loads or bars/pubs all along gloucester road, its just the pubs near the ground which will be home fans only

Parking around the Inn on the Green will be almost non-existant most side roads are usually jam packed from the residents parking. Not sure on restrictions for residents only either. I believe the Inn on the Green will be home fans only too.

Thanks for info, is there any pubs further up A38 that would be better for parking, only scheduled to get in around 1.30pm due to other commitments I can't change. If not do they sell beer in the ground? Cheers in advance

For people coming up from the town centre, I know the 73 bus goes from the city centre right past the ground but no doubt the buses will be delayed due to heavy traffic near the ground. it could take a good 30-40 mins on any bus to get from the centre to the Memorial stadium. Another alternative would be to get the bus up from the centre a little earlier and drop into the Sportsman pub. The walk from the Sportsman to the ground takes around 15 mins. Loads of space in the Sportsman too if I remember correctly with around 4 pool tables upstairs if thats your thing.

If some people fancy a pub crawl from the centre up to the stadium there a loads or bars/pubs all along gloucester road, its just the pubs near the ground which will be home fans only
Sportsman is the only real option to get real numbers in one place near the ground. I'd love to go to the commercial rooms but seeing as I live by the ground there's no point going down to come back up. And yes, the buses will get worse as you get closer to kick off

Can you PM me that list please mate? I'm down Friday evening til Sunday evening so would love some recommendations.

Thanks for info, is there any pubs further up A38 that would be better for parking, only scheduled to get in around 1.30pm due to other commitments I can't change. If not do they sell beer in the ground? Cheers in advance

There are a couple of pubs on the A38. Coming from the Almondsbury interchange(Where M4/M5 mix) there is the Travellers Rest(Hungry Horse pub type) although it's rubbish but does cheap food and has parking. Next pub is the Air Balloon up into Filton, it comes with parking and does cheap food. After this there are no pubs until you get to the Inn on the Green which is 5-10 mins walk to the ground.

I just got the lowdown from a colleague on real ale pubs in the centre for those interested. King Street seems to be the best bet with pubs called The old Duke, Llandoger Trow(both pubs opposite each other), King Street Brew House, King William Ale House, Royal Navy Volunteer. To add to these pubs you also have Kongs Bar & Small Bar plus loads of restaurants.

Down on the Waterfront you have a load of bars/restaurants & I think 1 nightclub, this area is more suited to the younger generation. If you fancy something a bit more upmarket jump in a cab & head for the Clifton Triangle, loads of bars/nightclubs & restaurants.

I hope this helps the guys who are down for the weekend.

Last edited:
If you like your ale, google The Seven Stars, it’s not far from Temple Meads not far from the centre, loads of real ales, small, good tunes and a pool table, proper pub!

Back