Bring out the BBQ

Looks good like. I made loads of mistakes with mine yet the second one was still decent. Will have another go in a couple of weeks. Cold fermenting the dough was a revelation mind, gives much more flexibility.
Yep I do a 2 day cold ferment. Upped my hydration from 60 to 65 for these ones too

Not a fan of BBQs for a number of reasons

1. Most people can’t cook properly on them so food is either under or more usually over cooked

2. too much food - people bring a pack of sausage,Burgers and steak - normal people never usually eat that much food

3. Instead of just eating it, people then want to talk about it for ever, about how you can’t beat a BBQ.

I’ve got a big green egg so it comes with an accessory for indirect heat. A nice spicy rub and a vertical roaster thingy, few wood chunks and it came out lovely. I’d have liked to have brined the chicken but only bought it at lunch time so didn’t have time.

Salmon cooked on a cedar plank is bloody lovely.

We stayed on an estate in Aberdeenshire a while back and the owner had one of those green eggs in every one of the properties on the estate. I was sceptical at first, primarily on account of being a vegetarian and not giving a shit about barbecues. First thing I noticed was that it doesn’t dry out the meat and keeps it nice and moist. Works a treat on halloumi too!

We now have one. They are brilliant!

This weeks bbq lineup...

Monday - salmon side cooked on a cedar plank (again!)
Tuesday - chicken thighs with flatbread. Not made flatbread before but looks easy enough to do while the chicken rests.
Wednesday - beef short ribs, cooked at 175c...had them on a live fire course yesterday and they were unbelievable! Only took 4-5 hours and dispelled my assumption that they needed to be cooked low and slow.

I have never identified any food item that could not be cooker better with a conventional oven and hob.

(Pizzas and pizza ovens are not BBQs so do not count)

Last edited:
This weeks bbq lineup...

Monday - salmon side cooked on a cedar plank (again!)
Tuesday - chicken thighs with flatbread. Not made flatbread before but looks easy enough to do while the chicken rests.
Wednesday - beef short ribs, cooked at 175c...had them on a live fire course yesterday and they were unbelievable! Only took 4-5 hours and dispelled my assumption that they needed to be cooked low and slow.
I make flatbreads with SR flour, salt and natural yogurt. Couldn’t be more simple and they’re lovely.

might spatchcock a chicken for tea and whack it on the traeger with flatbreads actually

I make flatbreads with SR flour, salt and natural yogurt. Couldn’t be more simple and they’re lovely.

might spatchcock a chicken for tea and whack it on the traeger with flatbreads actually
Aye, the recipe looks really simple, the only challenge will be getting the baking stone up to temp pretty quickly once the chicken is done.

Is the traeger the pellet grill thing? They seem to be getting more popular.
I have never identified any food item that could not be cooker better with a conventional oven and hob.

(Pizzas and pizza ovens are not BBQs so do not count)
I wouldn’t fancy hot smoking a massive piece of meat in a conventional oven.

I lazily bought some of Morrisons BBQ meats for Sunday as thought I was too busy to prepare. Just chicken wings and lamb koftas - utter shite!!! As bad as the shitty BBQs I had as a teen with mates of frozen burgers and Kraft slices on a disposable BBQ.

Would have been better off with just a couple of unmarinated chicken breasts.

Aye, the recipe looks really simple, the only challenge will be getting the baking stone up to temp pretty quickly once the chicken is done.

Is the traeger the pellet grill thing? They seem to be getting more popular.

I wouldn’t fancy hot smoking a massive piece of meat in a conventional oven.
Yep, really good for long slow bbq where you can forget about it for a few hours.

Good luck….I gave up on brisket after too many substandard attempts.

Was actually talking to DJ BBQ about it at a festival a few years back and he said UK beef wasn’t generally up to the job and was best to buy an American or Australian brisket….which I’ve yet to do.

Beef Cheeks smoked, then braised in a bit stock and beer or coffee are an absolute delight in a taco
Our local farm shop does Wagyu beef. So always get a bit of brisket there. That beef cheeks sound good.

Need to get a new barbecue, preferably a kettle one (in terms of storage). Is it worth trying a cheaper make or should I just go for a Weber?

Buy cheap, buy twice......, Weber is the answer 👍
Need to get a new barbecue, preferably a kettle one (in terms of storage). Is it worth trying a cheaper make or should I just go for a Weber?
My Nephew got an almost brand new Weber, & all the kit on ebay, worth a look.

Last edited:

Back