Brilliant Peasants

My vote goes to Wat Tyler.

- opposed the poll tax about 600 years before smelly leftist students.

- got better pay and working conditions for his marras.

- great name for an electrical wall decoration company.

Any other poor people worthy of a mention?

Octavia Hill

Grew up in poverty and spent her life helping those in poverty to better themselves and gain a better standard of living.
Campaigned against overbuilding in London suburbs, saved Hampstead Heath from being built on and was a founding member of the National Trust.

Octavia Hill

Grew up in poverty and spent her life helping those in poverty to better themselves and gain a better standard of living.
Campaigned against overbuilding in London suburbs, saved Hampstead Heath from being built on and was a founding member of the National Trust.
Good call, I’d never heard of her to be honest.

Abramovich is on this list.

17 Billionaires Who Started Out Dirt Poor

Last edited:
My vote goes to Wat Tyler.

- opposed the poll tax about 600 years before smelly leftist students.

- got better pay and working conditions for his marras.

- great name for an electrical wall decoration company.

Any other poor people worthy of a mention?
All true but the part I never took to was King Richard's marras "accidentally" killing the lad, lopping his head off and carrying it around on a spike.

Let's face it they killed the fucker for his insolence

Carpenter John Harrison for his contribution to the evolution of the timepiece and marine chronometer. A lifelong struggle against The Royal Society and the govt's Longitude Board for recognition and even for the prize money to which he was entitled. His struggle with his bête-noir Nevil Maskelyne didn't deter him. A brilliant man, one of my few heroes, who changed the world forever back in the 1700's.

Had it not been for Rodney finding H6 in the lock-up in Peckham the world may never have heard of him.

Wat Tyler for me too even though very few of the Peasant's Revolt were really peasants. He didn't survive to see them but his little movement enacted real change in the country at the time.

I also like the recent story of Phoolan Devi, the Indian Bandit Queen. Assassinated age 37, she led some life.

Back