Brian May

Bullying a photographer after he posted their picture without permission and was made to take it down.

You’d think he’d be well aware of copyright laws.

The ignorance in some of the comments is amazing.

https://instagram.com/p/BbcE6PejIwQ/
I`d be flattered if Brian May used my photograph. I had an email from Buck Dharma from Blue Oyster Cult asking if he could use a couple of my photos a couple of months back. Buck is one of my all time favourite guitarists and to have him e-mail ME and ask if he could use my photos was a real honour. I`ve had many free tickets and time for interviews with them so it was the least I could do.

Much as I'm not a fan of the poodle headed fretman, it looks like he usually credits photographers and forgot in this instance. Whilst May's response is a bit dickish, I think the photographer has been a bit heavy handed in their approach. Looks like he's been touch with her and they've sorted it out anyway.

Let's be honest - gig photography is nearly always just a case of turning up and shooting what's presented for you on stage. There's not exactly a huge amount of creative merit in it beyond the basics (sorry, like). Did this gig photographer (or any, for that matter) ever credit the set/lighting team for making their photo look good? Or May's hairdresser and stylist? :lol:

Much as I'm not a fan of the poodle headed fretman, it looks like he usually credits photographers and forgot in this instance. Whilst May's response is a bit dickish, I think the photographer has been a bit heavy handed in their approach. Looks like he's been touch with her and they've sorted it out anyway.

Let's be honest - gig photography is nearly always just a case of turning up and shooting what's presented for you on stage. There's not exactly a huge amount of creative merit in it beyond the basics (sorry, like). Did this gig photographer (or any, for that matter) ever credit the set/lighting team for making their photo look good? Or May's hairdresser and stylist? :lol:
Ahem !!!!

Ahem !!!!
Well, it's true isn't it? In the grand scheme of taking photos, it's about as easy as it gets - hardly a struggle for anyone with a half decent DSLR.

Turn up, shoot a few thousand or so photos on auto, get in the way of the crowd, hoy some 'film-like' filters on the best ones and get abused by Brian May's fans. ;):lol:

Sure, there are some really good photographers who'll do gigs, but they're the exception rather than the norm.

Close to home this sort of thing. It is quite a ironic that a musician of his stature has is complaining about copyright.

Well, it's true isn't it? In the grand scheme of taking photos, it's about as easy as it gets - hardly a struggle for anyone with a half decent DSLR.

Turn up, shoot a few thousand or so photos on auto, get in the way of the crowd, hoy some 'film-like' filters on the best ones and get abused by Brian May's fans. ;):lol:

Sure, there are some really good photographers who'll do gigs, but they're the exception rather than the norm.
I'll bite:
Got to say I disagree with you 100%. Stick a camera on auto and you'll struggle to get anything usable. A constantly changing lighting environment, uncertain movements by the subject, smoke, only having about 2m of space to work with. Half the time the artist will be almost entirely back-lit. Granted, I do make it look easy. ;)

The fact is, the photo was obviously good enough for him to want to use it on his official Instagram account. Look at it from the photographer's point of view. It doesn't really matter whether he usually does credit photographers, that doesn't help her out. FWIW she did try to message him beforehand but a) didn't get a response and b) already missed the boat with getting any sort of recognition or "exposure" has some like to call it.

Last edited:

Might be a tad easier taking photos of a flower that doesn`t move, you can get the right light and take all the time in the world getting the perfect pic rather than trying to frame a constantly moving object, lights going from black to glaring white in a nano second, getting jostled around in a crowded photo pit, having beer and other liquids thrown about and stage divers/crowd surfers to contend with.........and that`s just for Neil Diamond:lol: By the way, auto is an absolute no no.....you`ll never get anything decent doing that.

Back