Brewing under licence

On my last trip back from Paris the Eurostar ran out of the French 1664 and switched to the English-brewed cans. Massive difference.

The French gear is stronger like. At the end of the day the English market wants cheap cans so we make our own bed. Nice quality beer is out there if people are prepared to pay for it. I think I read that U.K. alcohol duty is very high too which doesn’t help.

Honestly if you can't tell the difference between original 5.2%stella and they 4.8 the make now .... . Wow

My point was he couldn’t tell the difference despite saying he could given he was and has been drinking the stuff that is brewed under liscence for ages.

Same. Surely if it’s brewed in the same way using the same products it’s the same beer...
I'm no brewer but the large UK brewers jack of all trades ,masters of non are set up how they want to.
These long standing European brewers will have processes passed down through their history .Give me a recipe and all the ingredients and ill still cook crap

The cans of Mahou I was supping on holiday were absolute nectar
Wops San Miguel
Hardly see San Miguel in Spain now

Last edited:
Same. Surely if it’s brewed in the same way using the same products it’s the same beer...
The water is the big factor as it is the main ingredient.
Burtonisation takes place when making some ales ( adding additional stuff to mimic water from Burton) .
I guess lagers have the same issue too but I don’t know what water they use.
Is Guinness still brewed at Park Royal in London? There was talk a few years ago of moving all production back to Ireland and it was partly because of this.

Lidls own lager called Perlenbacher used to be brewed in Germany ‘under German purity laws’ but I noticed a few months back it’s now made in France. Went to aldi on Saturday and they’ve got a German lager brewed in Munich under the same
Purity laws according to the label.
Germany knows lager so at four quid for 6 I wasn’t disappointed.

Back