Brewing under licence

Just noticed recently that Birra Moretti seems to have gone from an imported beer to a one brewed under licence by Heineken UK. Stands to reason I supposed, as it’s much more prevalent on draught now compared to a few years back.

This got me thinking, can you actually tell the difference between the original and ‘copy’ or is it marginal? I like a beer but I’m not exactly a conneseur, so just wondering.
Loads of things to consider:

1 - Water - Yes, they do analyse the original water to see what minerals are dissolved in it, and they do try their best to match them - but is it really the same?
2 - The mash - The composition of the water makes a huge difference how the malt is mashed
3 - The malt - It might be the same variety of malt, but do they source it from the same location? If not, it's not going to taste the same. And even if they do, does the journey affect it?
4 - The Hops - Same as #3
5 - The Process - Is the process the same? Same methods used, same care and attention, same holding temps, same time to condition etc

And that's before they make changes, such as targeting a new ABV for local tax laws etc.

Can you make the same beer somewhere else that tastes 99% the same - sure.
Do they? Probably not.

I can tell the difference , especially when they change the abv. Stella was ruined by moving production here. Looks like I’ll have to give Moretti a swerve now too.

The don`t move it here, they just brew pisswatta which bears the same name as the continental beers and hope nobody notices. Why they don`t just brew decent lager in this country I'll never know...

:lol:
You f***ing idiot.
Just my opinion based on my visits there the beer very gassy little choice in most establishments, the wine not the expensive type is drinkable, not the best prefer French, Spanish and new world wines at the average price range. All wine producing country produce good wine Italy included, only drink it with a meal on a night only ever been to north and central Italy so can't comment on the southern regions

From a quote by the MD of Asahi UK:

How do you make people aware of your premium beer brands?

“‘World Beer’ is an industry term that has traditionally been used to describe higher-end beers, typically imported from the continent and beyond. The emergence of UK Craft at the top end of the market and continental flavoured lagers has diluted the term ‘world’.

A premium is happily paid so long as the ‘worth-more’ credentials of a brand are clear to the consumer - great tasting beer, combined with authentic heritage and genuine provenance.

“The term ‘Super Premium’ unites such brands - heritage beers, craft and genuine imports. Created in 1963 as a symbol of quality, style and distinction, Peroni Nastro Azzurro still carries the same Italian passion, creativity and excellence. Every bottle and keg of Peroni Nastro Azzurro is brewed in Italy using the same ingredients now as they were then.

From a quote by the MD of Asahi UK:

How do you make people aware of your premium beer brands?

“‘World Beer’ is an industry term that has traditionally been used to describe higher-end beers, typically imported from the continent and beyond. The emergence of UK Craft at the top end of the market and continental flavoured lagers has diluted the term ‘world’.

A premium is happily paid so long as the ‘worth-more’ credentials of a brand are clear to the consumer - great tasting beer, combined with authentic heritage and genuine provenance.

“The term ‘Super Premium’ unites such brands - heritage beers, craft and genuine imports. Created in 1963 as a symbol of quality, style and distinction, Peroni Nastro Azzurro still carries the same Italian passion, creativity and excellence. Every bottle and keg of Peroni Nastro Azzurro is brewed in Italy using the same ingredients now as they were then.

Nastro Azzurro is the gaseous, tasteless never thought they could be a worse beer than Moretti

Back