Brewdog

:eek: Fuck me. This is Gerald Ratner scale fuck up
:lol: That speech fascinates me. Clever bloke, unbelievable business. The things he says about their business model,figures etc are truly incredible. If he just didn’t say those things that night and lied telling people the quality of the products was second to none that business would have continued thriving. He paid the price of telling the truth

Last edited:

:lol: That speech fascinates me. Clever bloke, unbelievable business. The things he says about their business model,figures etc are truly incredible. If he just didn’t say those things that night and lied telling people the quality of the products was second to none that business would have continued thriving. He paid the price of telling the truth
Arrogance in the extreme tbh. Much like James Watt.

Exactly. If you can sell cheap shit at a massive mark up, you've struck an unbelievable capitalist heaven gold mine of a business model until you tell people that the stuff you're selling is cheap shit.

That's exactly right. One trading day a year at the discretion of James Watt, but not if it is an equity raising year. You can sell to people who don't currently own shares though, and if you can find a willing buyer yourself outside of those days you can sell to them whenever you like.

I bought one share in round 3, specifically to access the discounts when buying beer in bulk (back when Punk tasted nice and they talked a good game about doing things differently, which has turned out to be bollocks). I can't complain as I ditched them (they split the one share I bought into 50 shares during my time of ownership) in 2018 with a 1,000% return. People buying them in the first round would have been c.3,000% return at that point.

However I think the people who bought in later rounds (certainly 5 onwards) will get fucked. Stuck in my throat that they sold a big chunk to TPG (private equity) at a big discount to what they had just charged their customers / fanboys in the previous funding round.

Their model is based on exponential growth, but I can't see craft beer (the latest in a long line of drinking fads) lasting forever. Surely anyone who wants to drink modern real ale is already doing it, and most of the more serious craft beer drinkers wouldn't touch BrewDog now they are so mass market and watered down. Not sure their coals-to-Newcastle foray into America (Columbus Ohio, the equivalent of launching your UK operation in Derby) is going to have the impact they think it will, and China, who knows?
Brewdog are already all over China mate. I don't drink their beers any longer as they have had a remarkable drop off in quality, but you can find Elvis Juice, Punk IPA, and Quench quake at a few supermarkets here.

I quite like the beers. Cheap in the supermarkets so decent fridge fillers. Ridiculous prices in the bar though. Think cheapest pint was 5.95 when in the other week.

Seems to be a few accusations going round different breweries at the moment. Quite a few about sexism and Marble brewery’s CEO resigned recently.

don’t think James watts response is the best like. No doubt they’ll look to make a beer out of this
Whinging Underperformers Farmhouse Saison perhaps.

The whole thing does bang on and on and on without really saying much. They allude to "women" early in the diatribe as if hinting at harassment but don't then specifically expand on it other than one unspecific mention of misogyny.

I expect the lack of content is deliberate and based on legal advice. Doubt it'll be their last legal bill!

Whinging Underperformers Farmhouse Saison perhaps.

The whole thing does bang on and on and on without really saying much. They allude to "women" early in the diatribe as if hinting at harassment but don't then specifically expand on it other than one unspecific mention of misogyny.

I expect the lack of content is deliberate and based on legal advice. Doubt it'll be their last legal bill!
The stories are all out there on social media, but with legal threats flying around all over the place it's not surprising that this letter doesn't repeat the details.

I did quite a bit of work for them and met loads of their staff and all were canny. But there always seems to be a big turnover which is never a good sign.
Can't say I'm surprised in general.

Think they started out with good intentions but all the success has probably gone to the head of 'the captain' as he likes to be known.
I hated them from day 1. I remember reading a press release in either 07 or 08 when they opened their first pub which included the line "UK Beer is sick and we are the f***ing doctor" as if
A) There weren't hundreds of microbreweries all over the country making delicious stuff and
B) That wasnt just a completely cuntish way to talk.

Anyone with any familiarity with UK brewing at that point knew their wasnt a shortage of brilliant pints.

What there *was* a shortage of was commercially available obnoxiously marketed and branded beer that wasnt lager and that made wankers feel special for drinking.

top man as always appeared as a cringeworthy cock but I do like the beer... similar to Spoons but interesting the difference between this and the Spoons thread where people pile to pledge never to darken their door again for something that didn't happen but very little of the same here

top man as always appeared as a cringeworthy cock but I do like the beer... similar to Spoons but interesting the difference between this and the Spoons thread where people pile to pledge never to darken their door again for something that didn't happen but very little of the same here
Well in fairness the Brewdog bosses have got some way to go to reach Tim Martin bellendery. He'll have to wade in on politics and will need a slot on Question Time or something too.

That response letter is really telling. Just shows, in one fell swoop, how true what was being said in the original letter.

Is that not largely because Weatherspoons pubs are ubiquitous and Brew Dog pubs aren’t?

It has changed loads. Gone from 6% to 5.6 down to 5.4 now. Recipe has changed so that they can maximise profit. I think it might even be 5.2% on tap now.
5.1% in the cans now. In fairness to Brewdog, the price of 4 Elvis Juice has also been reduced to £5.
Works out at around £12k a day in duty due to the scale they brew at.
I detest the obsession with reducing ABV on the part of most mass brewers and even some of the smaller ones. Why they'd make their product taste like piss so they can charge 50p less for it I don't know. Not so long ago they would openly sneer at such cynicism BrewDog Bar Pricing (2013). They're just another brewer now with a tired zany marketing pitch and a bang average offering.

Brewdog said:
Carling is now 4% so they can pay less beer duty

There are plenty of beers on the market made by people trying to keep costs down and cut corners. We care about making awesome beers

It doesn't take a huge drop in sales to wipe out a saving of £12,000 a day. This is a company that used to be the darling of the craft beer world, at one point they could piss in a can and call it "Golden Shower" and still charge twenty quid for 12.

It's a lot easier to keep your existing customers happy than to replace them when they stop buying from you, this is true in every business.

I hated them from day 1. I remember reading a press release in either 07 or 08 when they opened their first pub which included the line "UK Beer is sick and we are the f***ing doctor" as if
A) There weren't hundreds of microbreweries all over the country making delicious stuff and
B) That wasnt just a completely cuntish way to talk.

Anyone with any familiarity with UK brewing at that point knew their wasnt a shortage of brilliant pints.

What there *was* a shortage of was commercially available obnoxiously marketed and branded beer that wasnt lager and that made wankers feel special for drinking.
post of the day, have a super-like:D

Back