Brewdog

One of my friends is one of the 45 unnamed. Has told me stories long before. It sounds like a shit place to work. I’ve always found their staff quite arrogant and not very friendly from my local Brewdog too so it’s quite unsurprising.

Tiny Rebel are all over Sainsburys. Always find them next to Beavertown.
They're not really when you look at their range. You only see the old stuff like pump up the jam and the marshmallow porter. Usually the daft little tins as well.

The expensive good stuff has never featured.

That's right. I've seen a few of these pieces crop up over the years in the paper. Sort of seems like the knives are being sharpened in the press and will be well and truly out when (rather than if) they float on the stock exchange. The "fans" who originally bought stakes and continue to defend them to the hilt will sharp realise how badly they've been had.

If I'm not mistaken, "equity punks" can only trade their stakes on days specified by Brewdog management and even then can only trade to other "punks" but in the event of a float the institutional investors' (TSG?) stake will be sold first and for a higher price. Laughable.
That's exactly right. One trading day a year at the discretion of James Watt, but not if it is an equity raising year. You can sell to people who don't currently own shares though, and if you can find a willing buyer yourself outside of those days you can sell to them whenever you like.

I bought one share in round 3, specifically to access the discounts when buying beer in bulk (back when Punk tasted nice and they talked a good game about doing things differently, which has turned out to be bollocks). I can't complain as I ditched them (they split the one share I bought into 50 shares during my time of ownership) in 2018 with a 1,000% return. People buying them in the first round would have been c.3,000% return at that point.

However I think the people who bought in later rounds (certainly 5 onwards) will get fucked. Stuck in my throat that they sold a big chunk to TPG (private equity) at a big discount to what they had just charged their customers / fanboys in the previous funding round.

Their model is based on exponential growth, but I can't see craft beer (the latest in a long line of drinking fads) lasting forever. Surely anyone who wants to drink modern real ale is already doing it, and most of the more serious craft beer drinkers wouldn't touch BrewDog now they are so mass market and watered down. Not sure their coals-to-Newcastle foray into America (Columbus Ohio, the equivalent of launching your UK operation in Derby) is going to have the impact they think it will, and China, who knows?

They're not really when you look at their range. You only see the old stuff like pump up the jam and the marshmallow porter. Usually the daft little tins as well.

The expensive good stuff has never featured.
Sorry Tony but you are wrong. Theres currently 4 on the website which are always on the shelves. Plus the 2 you named, plus a lime lager which I bought yesterday and there was a red lager which i cant remember the name. Thats 8 beers. Tiny Rebel is a staple of Sainsburys beer section.

Sorry Tony but you are wrong. Theres currently 4 on the website which are always on the shelves. Plus the 2 you named, plus a lime lager which I bought yesterday and there was a red lager which i cant remember the name. Thats 8 beers. Tiny Rebel is a staple of Sainsburys beer section.

Not in the Sainos round here like. Not that I'm arsed as I've already said they've fallen off and not expensive enough for me.

Been numerous Sunday Times business reports on them over the years, unethical but not illegal practices from diluting the stakes of the 100,000+ original “equity punks” (lol) who put in £70m+ the moment they got institutional investment to threatening their marketing agency “you’ll never work in this industry again” style if their latest stunt flopped. Utter helmets but hyper successful ones.
Threatened a Birmingham pub called 'Lone Wolf' to change its name (Lone Wolf was BD's vodka brand), forced them into rebranding, then backed down after public outcry throwing their lawyers under the bus for being 'too trigger-happy'..by which time the pub had spent its money on new name and signage.

Came out days later that they'd also sent legal threat to planned pub in Leeds which was going to call itself Draft Punk.

Aye, 'punk' as fuck, BrewDog. Not at all just another corporate machine, oh no.

It's sounds like some of the staffchavevans are going through hell, and if so I genuinely feel for them. Not sure accusing a business of being 'business led' will be an effective tactic, but I guess it it is promoting the cause, and its up here for a start.

What's a session beer/session IPA? I had some that were under 4%. Is it the strength that defines whether they're "session" or not?

My idea of a session is necking as many premium lagers as possible and being sick in my pants.

Anyway, the Brewdog slurps I've had aren't that impressive, especially at the prices.

Back