Brewdog

Part owned by Heineken now though. Whilst at the moment it appears to be purely for a better distribution of the beers, I wouldn’t put it past them to start changing them up in future.

Tiny Rebel are my favourite of the bigger independents.

To be honest, I can't blame the founders of breweries like Beavertown and Camden for selling out to the big boys. If I had created a business from nothing in a railway arch and was offered tens of millions then I'd take the money and run. Then do it again.

To be honest, I can't blame the founders of breweries like Beavertown and Camden for selling out to the big boys. If I had created a business from nothing in a railway arch and was offered tens of millions then I'd take the money and run. Then do it again.
Yeah I hold nothing against those 2 or Brooklyn (Carlsberg have struck a similar deal with them, and they’ve contract brewed for years anyway because their brewery is too small). I’d do exactly the same in their shoes.

Been numerous Sunday Times business reports on them over the years, unethical but not illegal practices from diluting the stakes of the 100,000+ original “equity punks” (lol) who put in £70m+ the moment they got institutional investment to threatening their marketing agency “you’ll never work in this industry again” style if their latest stunt flopped. Utter helmets but hyper successful ones.

My thought about that is that is was the typical response of an absolute thimblecock bully. "Fast-paced," "intense," "high performance culture" is the usual description you get from mega corporations whose environments aren't any more demanding than anywhere else except that the bosses are unabashed psychopaths.
"Fast-paced" - get it done yesterday and it's your fault we only told you 15 minutes ago
"intense" - you'll be expected to pick up three peopels jobs regardless of the impact on you in and out of work, if you stay till 5 hours past normal, tough titty
"high performance culture" - one word of complaint, or evena sigh and your cards marked

In my experience these terms are indicative of a workplace where bullying and backstabbing is rife
threatening their marketing agency “you’ll never work in this industry again”
I mind that story now you mention it, was around 2017/18 I think?

Last edited:
I mind that story now you mention it, was around 2017/18 I think?

That's right. I've seen a few of these pieces crop up over the years in the paper. Sort of seems like the knives are being sharpened in the press and will be well and truly out when (rather than if) they float on the stock exchange. The "fans" who originally bought stakes and continue to defend them to the hilt will sharp realise how badly they've been had.

If I'm not mistaken, "equity punks" can only trade their stakes on days specified by Brewdog management and even then can only trade to other "punks" but in the event of a float the institutional investors' (TSG?) stake will be sold first and for a higher price. Laughable.

Last edited by a moderator:
The story of most craft beer breweries who gain success. Start a microbrewery with a zany name and image, get popular, get into Tescos, water down your product &/or sell up to a big time player. Do it again.

Its like property development but with hops.
Whilst I agree with James that TR have dropped off, the majority of their stuff gets nowhere near supermarkets.

There are also some breweries that have told supermarkets to whistle.
5% is enough for a session beer. I really like a lot of those higher ABV crafty IPAs but they just sent me to sleep after a few.
Agreed. But plenty of breweries do good uns. BD are just poor truth be told.
Definitely but it is a lot more expensive.
For a reason.
I tend to avoid all the milkshake and marshmallow stuff anyway, but Clwb Tropica is always a nice reliable beer.
Their 99 stout is good.

Last edited:
The story of most craft beer breweries who gain success. Start a microbrewery with a zany name and image, get popular, get into Tescos, water down your product &/or sell up to a big time player. Do it again.

Its like property development but with hops.

Apparently Brew Dog applied to be on the first series of Dragons Den but weren't selected. They were looking for an investment of £100,000 which would have been worth hundreds of millions now.

Whilst I agree with James that TR have dropped off, the majority of their stuff gets nowhere near supermarkets.

There are also some breweries that have told supermarkets to whistle.

Agreed. But plenty of breweries do good uns. BD are just poor truth be told.

For a reason.

Their 99 stout is good.

Aye the reason being because it is better which I agreed with. :lol:

I do a lot of the graphic design work for Brewdog. I often have to go to their headquarters for meetings etc. They treat you like royalty and their staff are incredibly well looked after.

Money really is no object for them. As a worker, I don’t think their staff could ask for a better work environment.
are you the owner😎

And thus you shouldnt buy BD :lol:

A brew that tastes of dog.

If wanting to get hammered at a price point I like I will buy brews that taste of dog.

If I just want to enjoy a few really tasty beers I will buy some beavers that taste of towns.

Horses/Dogs/Beavers for courses.

I'm planning on drinking about 60 cans over the weekend to had to go down the brew dog route.

If wanting to get hammered at a price point I like I will buy brews that taste of dog.

If I just want to enjoy a few really tasty beers I will buy some beavers that taste of towns.

Horses/Dogs/Beavers for courses.

I'm planning on drinking about 60 cans over the weekend to had to go down the brew dog route.
Eight imperial Stouts, at 8 quid a can, and of abv 10-12% will also get you leathered but without the volume of liquid you're on about mind marra.

Back