Brazil variant

Friend of mine (journalist) flew back here from Sau Paulo friday via madrid. he is in a hotel for two weeks. Personally I would be in favour of him and anyone else returning from S America being refused entry.

Difficult to do with a uk citizen

Theres the potential for the vaccine to not work on new strains which is the problem. Could potentially make the 20m vaccinations redundant

Scientists have said it's never going to be a problem.

If it mutates so much it loses it's spike protein, it's game over for the virus.

If the vaccine becomes less effective then they change the recipe and have said this can be done easily and within a few months.

Booster shots will likely be required.

Scientists have said it's never going to be a problem.

If it mutates so much it loses it's spike protein, it's game over for the virus.

If the vaccine becomes less effective then they change the recipe and have said this can be done easily and within a few months.

Booster shots will likely be required.
That’s not quite what they’ve said. They said for all current mutations, the vaccine is still effective and they can theoretically change the recipe if they needed to. There’s always the potential for it to mutate into something immune to the vaccine and we can’t get away from that. Whole thing could go tits up tomorrow and we’re back to where we started. Obviously we all hope it won’t and the chances aren’t high that it will, but to rule it out as a possibility is naive at best

What you should have said is government scientists have played it down to prevent scaremongering (and rightly so)

😂 It's true tho. You know it ya lil tinker!

Is there? Can you quantify the % potential. Are we talking 20%, 10%, 0.0000000009%

How worried should we be?
Of course there is. That’s how every virus in the world works. Only need to see the flu virus each year and the need for an updated vaccine to see this happening in the world. Your pedantic reply is unnecessary though, obviously it’s not something that could be quantified and you know that.

Of course there is. That’s how every virus in the world works. Only need to see the flu virus each year and the need for an updated vaccine to see this happening in the world. Your pedantic reply is unnecessary though, obviously it’s not something that could be quantified and you know that.

Influenza mutations and corona virus mutations are very different.

Influenza mutations and corona virus mutations are very different.
Very different yet very similar at the same time. I’m not suggesting they are comparable in mutation frequency or likelihood, but they are comparable in the fact that they will both mutate and change and it’s very naive to suggest our vaccine is perfect and will kill all mutations ever likely to exist.

Cases going down, hospital admissions down, weather is nice, the end is in sight for restrictions.

Time for print media to start spreading bollocks scare stories. Because we can't let the common oiks get too comfortable can we?

I bet in the next week we'll see "new strain means no end for lockdown this year" or some such shit. I'm glad I never went further into journalism like, I hate the industry.

It takes years for a virus to fully outgrow a vaccine ordinarily.

They’re not even saying this variant is resistant to the vaccine just that it “might” be slightly less effective, which I’m sure can be countered in the second dose anyhow for some and initially for others.

If we’re expected to run scared at the sight of any variant, then we might as well stay locked down forever.

Seems these people all arrived back in the UK before the new red list and quarantine hotels were in place. Major Fuckup late again.

At least the vaccination programme is a success. Bit worrying that the Brazilian is causing concern over the current vaccines in use not being as effective.

This Covid is here for a while yet and a few more twists and turns before we re-discover normality.

It takes years for a virus to fully outgrow a vaccine ordinarily.

They’re not even saying this variant is resistant to the vaccine just that it “might” be slightly less effective, which I’m sure can be countered in the second dose anyhow for some and initially for others.

If we’re expected to run scared at the sight of any variant, then we might as well stay locked down forever.
Absolutely the opposite is true. It takes nanoseconds for the virus to mutate in a random event and to “outgrow” a vaccine. It isn’t a gradual process at all, it’s a random product of a chaotic system and can happen at any moment. Virus cells get hit with radiation or chemical reactions all the time, randomly, one of those will mutate the virus into something that is immune to the vaccine eventually.

Of course it’s statistically more likely to occur over a longer period of time (due to more of these events happening) but the event for it to happen is (almost) instantaneous and random. Can’t be predicted and can’t be prevented. So what my point was, is that the shit could hit the fan any day and all 20m vaccines done could prove useless tomorrow, or any other day. Or it could not happen for the next 1000 years.
And that’s what worries me. We could see a surge in cases unless those hard working scientists work on a strong enough vaccine.
All they can do is cover as broad a range of predicted mutations as possible and hope that it changes in a more predictable manner. Wouldn’t worry about it tbh, nothing you can do if it happens and the current coverage is apparently good enough for all current mutations which is all we can do atm

Last edited:
Absolutely the opposite is true. It takes nanoseconds for the virus to mutate in a random event and to “outgrow” a vaccine. It isn’t a gradual process at all, it’s a random product of a chaotic system and can happen at any moment. Virus cells get hit with radiation or chemical reactions all the time, randomly, one of those will mutate the virus into something that is immune to the vaccine eventually.

Of course it’s statistically more likely to occur over a longer period of time (due to more of these events happening) but the event for it to happen is (almost) instantaneous and random. Can’t be predicted and can’t be prevented. So what my point was, is that the shit could hit the fan any day and all 20m vaccines done could prove useless tomorrow, or any other day. Or it could not happen for the next 1000 years.

All they can do is cover as broad a range of predicted mutations as possible and hope that it changes in a more predictable manner. Wouldn’t worry about it tbh, nothing you can do if it happens and the current coverage is apparently good enough for all current mutations which is all we can do atm

The likelihood is that it won’t outgrow a vaccine in the short term, though. Something being possible and actually happening are totally different.

Back