Boxing Day - Should shops be shut?

Keawyeds

Striker
I've never understood why people - probably still full/pissed from Christmas Day - would want to drag themselves out of the house to go shopping on Boxing Day.

Football match, a nice festive wander to the pub, I can understand, but shopping - sales shopping at that - seems massively unnecessary.

If you're a small local shop, then I suppose it's fair enough if you want to open for a few hours etc, but I don't get why retailers can't wait 1 day so their staff (and the sad bastards frothing at the mouth at their doors) can just chill the fuck out.
It's the staff I feel sorry for. Poor bastards don't really get much of a Christmas break at all.

Yes I get people like a bargain etc, but surely said bargains would still be there if you went shopping on the 27th.

We all just need to get a pint, sit down and watch a film, piss about with presents etc before the football comes on.

Used to be a big thing the boxing day sales. It's now a waste of time due to internet shopping and being able to find the same thing cheaper in a couple of clicks. Each to their own I guess but personally for me shut the shops and enjoy a couple of days off

Most people are back at work the 27th.

I agree though, there's no need for it. the last thing I'd want to do on my days off over Xmas is go shopping.

I've never understood why people - probably still full/pissed from Christmas Day - would want to drag themselves out of the house to go shopping on Boxing Day.

Football match, a nice festive wander to the pub, I can understand, but shopping - sales shopping at that - seems massively unnecessary.

If you're a small local shop, then I suppose it's fair enough if you want to open for a few hours etc, but I don't get why retailers can't wait 1 day so their staff (and the sad bastards frothing at the mouth at their doors) can just chill the fuck out.
It's the staff I feel sorry for. Poor bastards don't really get much of a Christmas break at all.

Yes I get people like a bargain etc, but surely said bargains would still be there if you went shopping on the 27th.

We all just need to get a pint, sit down and watch a film, piss about with presents etc before the football comes on.
Who serves the pint? Who keeps the TV station running?

Yes. Last year I worked Boxing day, I wouldn't have minded if people had come out specifically to buy sales things as that's the only reason to shop Boxing day IMO, anything else can wait for one day.

There was only about 5 shops open in the town where I worked, and after about an hour we'd had 3 customers, one bought deodorant another toothpaste and another some shampoo.

It took till the 3rd one to hear the dreaded "isn't it awful you have to come to work on Boxing day" :evil:took everything I had not to snap back, "well f***ing go home and I wouldn't have to be here!!! "

It was literally people coming out for a walk and seeing the shop was open and they decided to pop in:rolleyes: we shut early and probably cost us more to open than we made. Of course it'll be exactly the same this year, and when I left the area manager was on about wanting us to open New years day this year :eek: . Thankfully now I'm in a better job and we're shut from the 24th to 28th then again from 30th to the 3rd :D

Yes, the only people that should be working are emergency services and bar staff

More or less this. ^^^^^^^^. I'm not in favour of too much regulation on opening hours, but once the decision has been made for them, i think most retail staff would appreciate an extra day off. Small shop owners can open if they want and work if they want.

More or less this. ^^^^^^^^. I'm not in favour of too much regulation on opening hours, but once the decision has been made for them, i think most retail staff would appreciate an extra day off. Small shop owners can open if they want and work if they want.
That'd be the ideal but there's staff needed for football matches, pubs, restaurants, service stations. They're not essentials but the public demand them on a boxing day. It's not fair on the shop staff at all but the demand is clearly there. I could think of nowt worse personally

I don't see the difference between staff working in a shop or a footy ground or pub. Think of all the poor stewards standing in the freezing cold, at least in a shop staff can be warm.

Either completely across the board (except emergency services) or not at all.

Back