bowel cancer screening

My mams partner has been given an appointment at the hospital for a couple of weeks time after having his hoop checked, doctor said something isn’t right and to take someone with him. Bloody bastard of a disease in every form.
Just a little update on this, it did turn out to be prostate cancer but he’s had his operation yesterday so hopefully everything will be ok now. Been to see him and the poor bugger looks half deed and is in immense agony, he’s in massive debt to his doctor who persuaded him to have his prostate checked on the spot.

In a perfect world everybody aged 60 would have a colonoscopy and a repeat every 3-5 years after that ..sadly the economic price of this is to much for the NHS......the nhs does have a sigmoidoscopy screening service in some areas but this only looks at one side of the colon and whilst the poo samples are better than nothing the growths only bleed when they are established.....

In a perfect world everybody aged 60 would have a colonoscopy and a repeat every 3-5 years after that ..sadly the economic price of this is to much for the NHS......the nhs does have a sigmoidoscopy screening service in some areas but this only looks at one side of the colon and whilst the poo samples are better than nothing the growths only bleed when they are established.....
the big one they removed from my hoop was on the turn.. would of turned cancerous.. high grade polyp it was described as.. but as you say if i hadnt been bleeding id never of known

the big one they removed from my hoop was on the turn.. would of turned cancerous.. high grade polyp it was described as.. but as you say if i hadnt been bleeding id never of known
I'm assuming here you've had a colonoscopy rather than just a sigmoidoscopy? One of the problems of a sigmoidoscopy is that if they find something they do a risk calculation to decide whether they go on to look at the complete colon via a colonoscopy......

I'm assuming here you've had a colonoscopy rather than just a sigmoidoscopy? One of the problems of a sigmoidoscopy is that if they find something they do a risk calculation to decide whether they go on to look at the complete colon via a colonoscopy......
ive had both mate been in twice removed polyps on both occasions..

ive had both mate been in twice removed polyps on both occasions..
I thought that would happen as its best practice to do so !In my case they found using sigmoidoscopy a 7mm tubular adenoma in the descending colon and removed it ..it was a low grade low dysplasia adenoma with low risk statistically.....however here is the rub if it had been 1mm longer they would have referred me for a colonoscopy to look at the ascending colon as well ....50% of the population have adenomas present in their colons but only 8-10% go on to become cancerous. The likelihood is because i have had an adenoma removed from my descending colon i will more than likely have a adenoma present in the ascending colon but the gamble they are taking is that because my adenoma in the descending colon was less than 8 mm if present on the other side it has a 90% chance of being non cancerous....basically they are gambling I'm not one of the 8% ers and whilst that makes complete economic sense (as coloscopies are more expensive )on an individual level I would prefer a colonoscopy for piece of mind.

I sent off a routine sample to the Bowel Cancer Screening programme in March last year. Within days I had a reply letter saying that they had found blood in the sample and had arranged a colonoscopy at Harrogate hospital - I can confirm that the gut cleansing powders are disgusting and I couldn’t get mine down without retching! Orange flavour my arse!
Anyway, it saved my life. A contained tumour near my appendix was removed in April (together with that nearby appendix and a polyp). The surgeon tested twenty one lymph nodes, and found no trace of cancer.
Longish story short: after more tests and scans, three months of chemotherapy (just in case any cancer cells were roaming looking for a home to settle), I have been declared cancer free.
All that came completely out of the blue as I had no symptoms whatsoever. Last year was a bit of a whirlwind - but without the screening programme that cancer could have still been there growing and spreading.
I am now on a five year monitoring programme of blood tests, CT scans, and colonoscopies
The moral of this post is :

DON’T LEAVE THE SCREENING TEST UNOPENED ON THE MANTLEPIECE!

Give the postman a treat and stick the completed test in the nearest postbox.

Had a polyp removed 3 yrs ago after my sample showed abnormalities. Returned in January this year and it had Returned quickly and bigger than before. Upshot is I've just had a right side hemicolectomy removing part of my large bowel and joining to small bowel. It was 2and a half weeks of pain and discomfort in hospital. Now back home recovering slowly. 1st biopsy 3yrs ago was turning cancerous, still awaiting the histology results on this one. Get ya poop checked when your 60 it might just save your life.

Had a polyp removed 3 yrs ago after my sample showed abnormalities. Returned in January this year and it had Returned quickly and bigger than before. Upshot is I've just had a right side hemicolectomy removing part of my large bowel and joining to small bowel. It was 2and a half weeks of pain and discomfort in hospital. Now back home recovering slowly. 1st biopsy 3yrs ago was turning cancerous, still awaiting the histology results on this one. Get ya poop checked when your 60 it might just save your life.
Sorry to hear that fortunately I am a surviving Bowel cancer patient. I gave a like for your check your poo

Please everyone take this seriously it can certainly save your life

Seems to be a while since I was sent a test kit. Do they send them out regularly ? I've never had a camera up there but I've had 5 down the throat to add to the fun of pneumonia and one up the charlie accompanied by a surprise thumb up the bum. After the charlie one I think I could cope with the bum one.

Seems to be a while since I was sent a test kit. Do they send them out regularly ? I've never had a camera up there but I've had 5 down the throat to add to the fun of pneumonia and one up the charlie accompanied by a surprise thumb up the bum. After the charlie one I think I could cope with the bum one.
I think you get one at 60then reviewed every 3 years. At least that's what has happened with me. Just go to doctors and ask for a kit.

Back