Borussia Monchegladbach

They aren't amateurs, they are currently 3rd in the Austrian top flight and they were in last years Europa League as well, they played Dortmund.

Commentator on the stream I am watching said its thier first game. Apologies I did not check that or mis interpreted what he said, turns out they made the qualifying stages 4 years ago and that's when they played Dortmund. This was their first game in the UEFA League proper. Does not change the fact that the Germand fans remained positive in their support for their team though which was the point of the thread.

Commentator on the stream I am watching said its thier first game. Apologies I did not check that or mis interpreted what he said, turns out they made the qualifying stages 4 years ago and that's when they played Dortmund. This was their first game in the UEFA League proper. Does not change the fact that the Germand fans remained positive in their support for their team though which was the point of the thread.

They are a rock solid top flight side, your premise to have a pop at our fans was complete bollocks.

But carry on.

They are a rock solid top flight side, your premise to have a pop at our fans was complete bollocks.

But carry on.
Very true why would he even think an amateur side would be playing in Europe ? There from Austria hardly a backwater. Just another excuse to have a pop at the fans . Borussia fans need to show some balls getting beat four nil at home let them know what you think

Not sure what youre getting at here. There was absolutely zero booing in the stadium until final whistle the other night

Good try though

I had a full on stand up argument with three blokes behind me at Peterborough when I asked them to stop being so negative. Thankfully the majority around me agreed with me and the three concerned became hugely outnumbered. Ironicaly they spent the whole game telling everyone else how they were not helping by not abusing the side, and then they all left with 20 mins to go.

They spent the game hurling abuse at our team arguing with other fans for not doing the same and then left 20 mins early. Who needs fans like that?

Plenty of moaning and groaning around me on Tuesday night by the way. I really don't know why people can't seem to understand what the word 'supporter' actually means? People don't ask you which football team you abuse do they? They ask which team you support.

I had a full on stand up argument with three blokes behind me at Peterborough when I asked them to stop being so negative. Thankfully the majority around me agreed with me and the three concerned became hugely outnumbered. Ironicaly they spent the whole game telling everyone else how they were not helping by not abusing the side, and then they all left with 20 mins to go.

They spent the game hurling abuse at our team arguing with other fans for not doing the same and then left 20 mins early. Who needs fans like that?

Plenty of moaning and groaning around me on Tuesday night by the way. I really don't know why people can't seem to understand what the word 'supporter' actually means? People don't ask you which football team you abuse do they? They ask which team you support.

Dont believe you for one second

Plenty to moan about at peterborugh tbf we were horrid

Imagine seeing that Gladbach are 4 down at home to some Austrian side and your first thought is "how can I turn this into a criticism of Sunderland fans?"

Its highly ironic that those who don't take offense at so called Sunderland fans abusing our own team and manager, then take offense at criticism themselves. It works both ways this criticism lark......
Ross not doing his job according to many, so its OK to give him shit, but supporters who give that shit out are immune from any criticism themselves, despite not actually doing what they are supposed to do, which is to SUPPORT the team?

Last edited:
They aren't amateurs, they are currently 3rd in the Austrian top flight and they were in last years Europa League as well, they played Dortmund.
End of thread.
Its highly ironic that those who don't take offense at so called Sunderland fans abusing our own team and manager, then take offense at criticism themselves. It works both ways this criticism lark......
Ross not doing his job according to many, so its OK to give him shit, but supporters who give that shit out are immune from any criticism themselves, despite not actually doing what they are supposed to do, which is to SUPPORT the team?
Eh? Forget the end of thread comment! You think Ross is doing a good job?

Last edited:
Playing at home to an Austrian side who are amatuers and were in the Austrian 3rd tier 10 years ago. Its the Austrian sides first ever European game.

The Amatuers are 4-0 up and the Gladbach fans are still supporting their side. No booing at all. No doubt they will hold the inquest after the game, but maybe we could learn a thing or two from the Germans here?

Nothing at all to be gained EVER by getting on your own teams back.

Seems to me to be an ideal situation for fans to show their displeasure tbh.

That's the easy answer I expected, but can you point me to anyone at all whose productivity at work improves with criticism and abuse?

I don't know what you do for a living but would you be better at it if 20 or 30 people stood around your workspace all shift calling you a useless ****?

It's part and parcel of the sport. No one is massively passionate about the job I do, so I wouldn't expect anyone to come in booing me if I do shit at it, just like I never have "fans" of rival firms throwing bottles and flares at me. If you can't handle criticism/ pressure you don't get into the career of being a professional footballer. Just like how I didn't like the idea of being in life threatening situations so didn't join the forces or the fire brigade. I've never booed in the ground but I don't go around thinking I'm a better fan then people who do. Obviously some go on ridiculously but for the vast majority it is just occasional frustration. Expecting everyone to have your attitude, outlook and temperament just isn't going to happen.

And to be honest, although I don't think I'd respond well to being booed all day at work, there are times when I've not been putting enough effort in, just haven't been arsed and I have been criticised by a line manager which has made me snap out of it. Had I just had an army of people telling me how mint I am I'd probably have been even less productive. Anyway, I'd say Real Madrid fans are amongst the least patient and they seem successful enough, same with Brazil, so I don't think it makes a massive difference

The German mentality is to follow orders, kill efficiently and to only surrender when the home front has collapsed.

Imagine seeing that Gladbach are 4 down at home to some Austrian side and your first thought is "how can I turn this into a criticism of Sunderland fans?"

It wasn't my 'first thought' mate. I watched the whole game and it crept up on me bit by bit. Its just that the contrast between that and what I see regularly watching Sunderland was marked. Most of our fans are brilliant, as proven by the back up I recieved at London Road. Some others are angry beyond belief if the game goes against us and immediately look for a scapegoat when in reality, in any sporting event for every winner their needs to be a loser. I really don't understand how a grown adult can get that irate over some blokes kicking a bag of wind about. Its suppossed to be your entertainment time. If I got that wound up at the football I would stop going.

I realise as much as anyone when Sunderland are not performing. I just choose to talk about that in the pub after the game rather than hinder them still further by giving them grief during it.
The Germans mentality towards supporting their club is completely different to ours. It’s far far superior.

I agree and a few of us did our first German games earlier this year. We saw Fortuna Dusseldorf and Wuppertall and the fans were superb at both games. One with a huge 50,000 plus crowd and the other with a couple of thousand at best in the third tier, but they were both cracking experiences.
The German mentality is to follow orders, kill efficiently and to only surrender when the home front has collapsed.

Steroetypical, but wrong as I am sure you know. ;)

All the German football fans I have met have could just as easilly have been Sunderland fans had they been born in Pallion rather than Paderborn. They know and understand football every bit as much as we do and take it just as seriously.

Last edited:
It wasn't my 'first thought' mate. I watched the whole game and it crept up on me bit by bit. Its just that the contrast between that and what I see regularly watching Sunderland was marked. Most of our fans are brilliant, as proven by the back up I recieved at London Road. Some others are angry beyond belief if the game goes against us and immediately look for a scapegoat when in reality, in any sporting event for every winner their needs to be a loser. I really don't understand how a grown adult can get that irate over some blokes kicking a bag of wind about. Its suppossed to be your entertainment time. If I got that wound up at the football I would stop going.

I realise as much as anyone when Sunderland are not performing. I just choose to talk about that in the pub after the game rather than hinder them still further by giving them grief during it.

I agree and a few of us did our first German games earlier this year. We saw Fortuna Dusseldorf and Wuppertall and the fans were superb at both games. One with a huge 50,000 plus crowd and the other with a couple of thousand at best in the third tier, but they were both cracking experiences.

Steroetypical, but wrong as I am sure you know. ;)

All the German football fans I have met have could just as easilly have been Sunderland fans had they been born in Pallion rather than Paderborn. They know and understand football every bit as much as we do and take it just as seriously.
Yes they are fine. I got talking to some Braunsteig supporters at a service station on the way home from Devon, luckily I’d heard of their team from watching the programme that was broadcast on itv4 iirc.

Come back to me when Gladbach have just come off their worst league finish in their entire history, only for their fans to be told by the manager who led them to it that its essentially their fault and that they are, and I quote, "never satisfied".

Yes they are fine. I got talking to some Braunsteig supporters at a service station on the way home from Devon, luckily I’d heard of their team from watching the programme that was broadcast on itv4 iirc.

We will definately go back and see some more German games at some point. Looking at a Spanish trip early in the new year, having already done, Poland, the Czech Republic and the Netherlands in the last few years. Love a lads foriegn footy trip. Sometimes the smaler lower league games are the best. You meet some great football people at those matches.

My experience of German football, in which was a crunch relegation tie, was that they were less bothered about the match and more interested in jumping up n down singing some Twisted Sister song waving their flags about. Might look alreet on telly but it all seemed a bit put on and detached from events on the pitch to me, and not really conducive to a good, supportive atmosphere.

Come back to me when Gladbach have just come off their worst league finish in their entire history, only for their fans to be told by the manager who led them to it that its essentially their fault and that they are, and I quote, "never satisfied".

Its the menatllity that seperates them and us mate not the league position. We all know our recent history but we are still supposedly 'fans' or do we suddenly become 'ciritics' when things don't go well?

Back