Boro and wycombe suing Derby County

Our CEO, who has just left for the PL, after we were relegated said he was astounded at the amount of backstabbing and 'grassing' that is going on in the Championship, with clubs literally falling over themselves to try and get other clubs in trouble. After what we are seeing here, it wouldn't surprise me one bit. It hurts me to the core that there is no solidarity amongst clubs in what is a fake landscape of PP's and FFP. Literally any club could fall foul of this and i'm half expecting my club to be in trouble over the next few seasons.

Fair cop if we get a points deduction, end up in League One with a team of kids. I've personally had my highs over the last 15 years in the PL. All I ask though, as a fan, is just give me a club to support at the end of it whatever state it is in.

It simply can't be good for our game to happy clap clubs out of existence.

They all know the Championship is a financial shitshow from start to finish. Few, if any clubs, have wages less than 100% of turnover, which is fiscal insanity defined. But they're all too scared to change it, and reduce their shot at the promised land. The Championship desperately needs a cap like L1/L2 SCMP of, say 65% of income.

Exactly. We still had to win the playoffs. And we were inside the playoff places (4th place actually) after the last match we played that season against Doncaster. A few teams overtook us the next weekend when we had our bye week (due to Bury's liquidation), hence the game-in-hand and the ultimate PPG drama
People hate the PPG thing because you claimed it was too unsafe to play, so voted to end the season. But also knew that ending the season got you in the play offs, where you had to play at least 2 games.

Don't think Boro really have much to claim for you can't get compensation from hypothetical loss surely?

As for Wycombe they actually do have a point about Derby submitting papers late on purpose.

Last edited:
Our CEO, who has just left for the PL, after we were relegated said he was astounded at the amount of backstabbing and 'grassing' that is going on in the Championship, with clubs literally falling over themselves to try and get other clubs in trouble. After what we are seeing here, it wouldn't surprise me one bit. It hurts me to the core that there is no solidarity amongst clubs in what is a fake landscape of PP's and FFP. Literally any club could fall foul of this and i'm half expecting my club to be in trouble over the next few seasons.

Fair cop if we get a points deduction, end up in League One with a team of kids. I've personally had my highs over the last 15 years in the PL. All I ask though, as a fan, is just give me a club to support at the end of it whatever state it is in.

Agree with all that. One of the biggest critics of Derbys overspending have been Bristol City fans, they've got 60+ page thread spitting fury about it, seems like now they're in for a period of not been able to buy anyone and having to get out of a mess. I fear for Stoke and Sheff Utd as well. Reading about the Blades, seems they've borrowed against their parachute payments to bring expensive players in but now look more likely to go down than up, Wilder's left them in a right mess. The championship is full of desperate clubs and it's only going to get worse. For anyone who thinks we e not been punished enough I'm not sure what else they think we deserve, 21 point deduction, two years of transfer embargoes, losing players, a third of home fans gone maybe for good.

I've seen us in the Prem, the Championship and the old third division, I don't care what league were in as long as I have a club to support and were at least competitive.

Last edited:
Why? Derby cheated and Boro didn’t. There has to be some repercussions surely?

I believe it’s for the season before last, where Derby got to the play off final by spending more than they had and gambling. Funny if they won that game against Villa these problems probably wouldn’t of even come to fruition.

Doubt Leeds will be bothered as they went up the year after. If they were still languishing in the championship you could bet your bottom dollar they’d be claiming foul play, especially after the spygate stuff.

Don't you see the irony though that Villa won despite breaking the rules so nothing was able to be done about it. Same when QPR went up at Derby's expense before that

I actually agree with this. From what the Wycombe fans are saying it sounds like they have a decent case. Equally I don't dislike them over the PPG thing. I think it was a disgrace like but I firmly blame the EFL for it. They are meant to run the league, they should have decided how to finish it. Allowing clubs to vote when the majority had nowt to play for so might as well stop, and others would benefit from stopping, meant they just passed the buck for the decision which they knew was coming.

If we had been in Wycombe's position and we'd voted to play on I'd have questioned those running the club, their responsibility is to their club. Similar to how I'm a bit miffed that we seem to be one of the only clubs trying to play on (dropping vital points as we go) when we had the option to postpone. Teams should be forced to play, but if others aren't playing fair we shouldn't either. For both situations I blame the soft cocks at the EFL, not the individual clubs
The EFL don’t run the league, they govern it on behalf of its members - the 72 clubs.

Decisions, rules, etc are decided by its members, the EFL simply implement them.

Our claim, just so you know, is because after the season had finished Mel Morris admitted in an interview that he delayed getting the finances in on time on purpose, as he knew that would then mean that Derby were deducted points this season rather than last, so they would stay up instead of us, so they could then claim the 6 million TV money. That's what prompted our claim, unfortunately its a bit of an American thing I think, like our owner. Like I say most of us don't want it, we went down because we ddnt get enough points. You'll find quite a few Derby fans actually think we have more of a claim than Boro, who's claim is ridiculous. Derby have been cheating horrendously for years, and the fans were quite happy to put up with it while Morris was there. But I do not want them to go bust over it
Probably not going to be popular on here, but I think Wycombe have more of a case than Boro. What Derby, sorry Mel Morris, did was pure self interest and the league should have stamped on it straight away. I do have sympathy for Derby fans as they’re a good bunch and always good crack when I’ve been.

They all know the Championship is a financial shitshow from start to finish. Few, if any clubs, have wages less than 100% of turnover, which is fiscal insanity defined. But they're all too scared to change it, and reduce their shot at the promised land. The Championship desperately needs a cap like L1/L2 SCMP of, say 65% of income.
I've enjoyed reading your thoughts on the whole business mate, you seem to have a good grasp of the situation. Can you see a way out of this mess for Derby and football in general. There are 260+ pages about it on our forum but tbh it's getting so close to us not existing anymore that it's just mass hysteria

Don't you see the irony though that Villa won despite breaking the rules so nothing was able to be done about it. Same when QPR went up at Derby's expense before that
The Villa Derby play-off final was labelled by some in the media as ‘winner hits the jackpot, loser goes bust’.

Derby knew the repercussions of not going up that season yet we’re still happy to take the gamble.

Wolves and Villa (and QPR for a while) won the gamble, Derby and Sheff Wed didn’t.

Agree with all that. One of the biggest critics of Derbys overspending have been Bristol City fans, they've got 60+ page thread spitting fury about it, seems like now they're in for a period of not been able to buy anyone and having to get out of a mess. I fear for Stoke and Sheff Utd as well. Reading about the Blades, seems they've borrowed against their parachute payments to bring expensive players in but now look more likely to go down than up, Wilder's left them in a right mess. The championship is full of desperate clubs and it's only going to get worse. For anyone who thinks we e not been punished enough I'm not sure what else they think we deserve, 21 point deduction, two years of transfer embargoes, losing players, a third of home fans gone maybe for good.

I've seen us in the Prem, the Championship and the old third division, I don't care what league were in as long as I have a club to support and were at least competitive.
We wrote a load of crystalised player amortisation / debt off due to COVID out of last years accounts and Kieran Maguire (who is normally good) seems to think we could run it close this year. We haven't announced our accounts yet and i'm a bit fearful of why. I am betting we have gone over and we are delaying it to allow us to bring players into the club in January, before being hit with an embargo for the rest of the season with the hope we sort out any issues by the summer.

Given our ownership model, their primary business (gambling) and how many noses we put out of joint whilst in the PL, I can see quite the queue when it comes to our turn. :lol:

Not true…
They are a little shit pot club
So what does that say about Sunderland then?

Cringeworthy mate, you sound about 12.

Last edited:
We wrote a load of crystalised player amortisation / debt off due to COVID out of last years accounts and Kieran Maguire (who is normally good) seems to think we could run it close this year. We haven't announced our accounts yet and i'm a bit fearful of why. I am betting we have gone over and we are delaying it to allow us to bring players into the club in January, before being hit with an embargo for the rest of the season with the hope we sort out any issues by the summer.

Given our ownership model, their primary business (gambling) and how many noses we put out of joint whilst in the PL, I can see quite the queue when it comes to our turn. :lol:
I hope not but it sounds like Gibson and his gang will be all over you soon.

I think you're right though a lot of Derbys problems began by Morris taking on the EFL about other issues and pissing them off, TV Rights etc, Birch & Gibson have long memories

They are a little club. You seem upset by that. Takes all sorts of clubs to make the system work.
A little club who are that well ran that they can outperform a club the size of Sunderland.

Accrington, Morecambe, etc. Tiny clubs but certainly not tin pot (or shit pot as this fool keeps on saying), quite the opposite. They wouldn’t be where they are if they were tin pot.

Back