Borneo Bistro

Surprised you're not a fan. I quite like it, actually. Certainly can't whack it for what you pay, like.
It's pretty cheap like but I find it really greasy and not that tasty. Just a big carton of nowt. I nearly tagged you to prove I don't just blindly like everything mind. :lol:

Thankfully for his business I seem to be in the vast minority so happy days.

Only a matter of time before jolene and her crew are reviewing it on the fb foodies page. Hope it’s still piping hot and massif fresh porshuns, hun.

Only been the once. Agree that it was OK but nowt particularly special.

Will try again.

OK chips + rice are standard fare but the flavours are quite exceptional and the meat components are very generous.
The Rendang is possibly the nicest dish I've had in the UK.
My other favoruite which trumps it is Tex-mex in Texas...

Kev told me he employed chefs from the Shangri La Chain of 5*+ hotels...hence the high quality nash....not so sure the average takeaway can say that i.e. your'e wrong!

OK chips + rice are standard fare but the flavours are quite exceptional and the meat components are very generous.

Kev told me he employed chefs from the Shangri La Chain of 5*+ hotels...hence the high quality nash....not so sure the average takeaway can say that i.e. your'e wrong!
Done well to entice such skilled people to a little street cafe on Hylton road mind. Surprised he could compete with their wage structure and prestige but fair play.

Done well to entice such skilled people to a little street cafe on Hylton road mind. Surprised he could compete with their wage structure and prestige but fair play.
Indeed.

As I say I'll certainly give it another go.

Last edited:
E-mail them mate. ;).

Out of interest, does that sound like a normal change in direction for a number of chefs in a 5* + hotel to you? Wonder which Shangri-La hotel they were previously at?
And where do they go next? :lol:
I’m just imagining 5* hotel owners in Shangri-la waving their fists in the air and screaming “we’ve lost another one!!!!”
My other favoruite which trumps it is Tex-mex in COOPER ROSE

Tidied

Last edited:
I met one of his chefs, I have been to sunderland once in X number of years, ended up being taken into their kitchens to meet the guy doing the cooking that day as I used to work in zamboanga where he was from, kev met his wife in sabah hence the Borneo name though she is also from Mindanao.

He’s a nice bloke
Nice place
Average food
Great price point
Massive portions.

Not for me but seems a popular place. Mind putting two types of food on one plate isn’t for me either. Don’t know if they still do that but good luck to him.

It's basic concept is a turo-turo restaurant, a filipino eatery, though the food in the PI isn't as appetising, I was in one in cebu, saw chalked on the board "Star" meat, asked the guy serving what it was, he smiled and said read it backwards.... :eek:

I enjoy it 4x more when having it to eat in. The take away cartons and the moisture they create ruin some of the dishes. The tin foil ones are alright like.

It's basic concept is a turo-turo restaurant, a filipino eatery, though the food in the PI isn't as appetising, I was in one in cebu, saw chalked on the board "Star" meat, asked the guy serving what it was, he smiled and said read it backwards.... :eek:
I'd try that! :lol: Heard it's not too bad, actually...

What else have you eaten in this country? Out of interest.

Im an interanational business exec who has dined the world. The two places that have set my taste buds alight the most are in Houston and Sunderland:cool:!
Worked for a French co. for 6 years and spent half my time there.... as way of reference justification to the wizard that you are.
E-mail them mate. ;).

Out of interest, does that sound like a normal change in direction for a number of chefs in a 5* + hotel to you? Wonder which Shangri-La hotel they were previously at?

Probs Manila? I've stayed at the one in Sing..

Last edited by a moderator:
Im an interanational business exec who has dined the world. The two places that have set my taste buds alight the most are in Houston and Sunderland:cool:!
Worked for a French co. for 6 years and spent half my time there.... as way of reference justification to the wizard that you are.

Congratulations on dining the world while also finding the time to be an international business executive mate. Anything else?

Back