Boring thread klaxon - What can I do with bread?

Best Before - why would that be no good for a food bank.

Use Before, or Sell Before, sure. Best Before just means it might be past its best, not at all that its no good.

Try making croutons. You’ll get more life out of them.

Could knock easily a couple of thousands of croutons a day.

Package them up and sell artisan croutons to hipsters in coffee shops for £2 a bag.

If a loaf of bread is 800g, and you have 14 loaves, that’s 224x 50g bags of artisanal sea salt and rosemary croutons.

With that £448 you can hire more bodies and widen both your loaf acquisition and crouton distribution networks.

Once you’ve built a well sized network you’re in the perfect place to enter the drug dealing business

Best Before - why would that be no good for a food bank.

Use Before, or Sell Before, sure. Best Before just means it might be past its best, not at all that its no good.
I think there's issues with it being an organised charity. They will accept it if there's a guarantee that the food is acceptable. I can't give them that. There's even issues donating it to farmers for cattle apparently (although I think the farmer I spoke to thought it was waste bread rather than packaged untouched from a supermarket.)
I get all kinds that are a day or two past best before, things like crisps which are perfectly fine for a month or two after best before and peopld always ask for them just got a load of bread going spare.
Before Covid, I'd take it to work for patients and staff but can't share anything at the moment.
I think the last two weeks I've thrown over 20 kilos of it to birds.

Back