Boredom

dead red

Central Defender
I am currently running five times a week for an hour each time. Ive listened to all the music i want to listeto.. My question is are there any techniques to keep boredom at bay and while keeping motivation ?

Podcasts for me, Rich Roll and Joe Rogan the main ones theres a few others as well Finding Mastery is decent as well. Tend to be long form interviews with some interesting guests.

I am currently running five times a week for an hour each time. Ive listened to all the music i want to listeto.. My question is are there any techniques to keep boredom at bay and while keeping motivation ?
Do something else other than running to vary it a bit during the week. Cycling? an hours swim? maybe a gym class (non gay one), or try a competitive sport? squash or badminton are great cardio workouts and much less boring than running everyday.

Your own thoughts, the sound of the birds singing, cars that maybe gonna knock you over.....I can't listen to anything when out, maybe on a treader.
When I trained for half marathons I often felt like I entered a meditative state of mind from listening to my breathing and surroundings, I’d often switch off and run automatically.

I thought that someone could write a book about meditation while running and when I searched the interweb iirc the first published was in the 1960s but there have been plenty since then.

This looks good

Running Free by Richard Askwith | Waterstones

Last edited:
When I trained for half marathons I often felt like I entered a meditative state of mind from listening to my breathing and surroundings, I’d often switch off and run automatically.

I thought that someone could write a book about meditation while running and when I searched the interweb iirc the first published was in the 1960s but there have been plenty since then.

This looks good

Running Free by Richard Askwith | Waterstones

His book ‘Feet in the clouds’ is a very good read.

While out cycling I listen to audio books, gone from no time to read or digest books to reading a book every week for the last 6 months.......Audio books far better for staying aware of your surroundings too as natural pauses mean you hear more of what is around you......Audible is an excellent way to do this.

When running I prefer no music/sound, just enjoy my surroundings..To be fair if I ran roads I might be more likely to listen to music/books as boring but on trails just love to feel the trail.

Back