Boomtown Rats

21:20 tonight on BBC 2 :
Citizens of Boomtown : The Story of The Boomtown Rats
Documentary telling the story of the Irish band led by Bob Geldof, who scored hits in the late 1970s and early 80s with the likes of Rat Trap and I Don't Like Mondays, before disbanding a year after Geldof's hugely successful Live Aid event in 1985. The group reformed in 2013 and released their seventh studio album in March 2020
Described in the write up of the documentary as"Irelands first rock band" Yeah righto.

Described in the write up of the documentary as"Irelands first rock band" Yeah righto.
I bet Thin Lizzy are dead chuffed about that.
21:20 tonight on BBC 2 :
Citizens of Boomtown : The Story of The Boomtown Rats
Documentary telling the story of the Irish band led by Bob Geldof, who scored hits in the late 1970s and early 80s with the likes of Rat Trap and I Don't Like Mondays, before disbanding a year after Geldof's hugely successful Live Aid event in 1985. The group reformed in 2013 and released their seventh studio album in March 2020
Heard this being talked about on the radio yesterday, glad you reminded me.

Loved the Rats at the time, first 2 LPs were great raw punk/new wave, but the 3rd (Fine Art of Surfacing) showed that they had a bit more depth lyrically and musically to them as well. I played the grooves off all 3. I never went to the infamous 78 gig, but remember the subsequent ban. Saw them a couple of years later at one of the University hall summer balls in Leeds.

Last edited:
I bet Thin Lizzy are dead chuffed about that.

Heard this being talked about on the radio yesterday, glad you reminded me.

Loved the Rats at the time, first 2 LPs were great raw punk/new wave, but the 3rd (Fine Art of Surfacing) showed that they had a bit more depth lyrically and musically to them as well. I played the grooves off all 3. I never went to the infamous 78 gig, but remember the subsequent ban. Saw them a couple of years later at one of the University hall summer balls in Leeds.
Me as well. TFTT was played to death. FAOS was equally as good.

Saw them at the Empire back in '78.
Hell on

Apologies for the Echo link;

Heard an interview on Radio Newcastle recently where Bob Geldof claimed this gig was in Newcastle.
I remember Geldof going crackers about the spitting which was also evident at the 1980 Mayfair gigs, Costello got covered as did Stranglers support band Headline who wore smart suits and had shaven heads.

Basically 30 minutes of Bob Geldof taking about how i don’t like Monday’s came about. Nobody knows any other songs or band members or cares for that matter :lol:
Give them a go mate, you might be pleasantly surprised.

I started to pay a bit more attention to them after I seen 1977 doing Rat Trap & realised it was a good tune. Looking After No.1 anarl.

Listened a bit because they were playing Kubix, where as has been mentioned, they were really good.

I need to investigate more like, so I’ve taped the documentary.

I still think Geldof is a massive prick like. He was on 6music being interviewed about 6 months ago. Was a knob. However, the new tune they were promoting was surprisingly decent.

I started to pay a bit more attention to them after I seen 1977 doing Rat Trap & realised it was a good tune. Looking After No.1 anarl.

Listened a bit because they were playing Kubix, where as has been mentioned, they were really good.

I still think Geldof is a massive prick like. He was on 6music being interviewed about 6 months ago. Was a knob. However, the new tune they were promoting was surprisingly decent.
I’ll have a listen with me first pint in a bit.

He is like..i was watching an interview with him a while back on You Tube..he seems a right pompous fka..he still gets reet upset about Hutchence porking his missus anarl.

Saw them at the Empire back in '78.
Hell on

Apologies for the Echo link;

Heard an interview on Radio Newcastle recently where Bob Geldof claimed this gig was in Newcastle.
I was there that night, seats being ripped up, and Geldof being gobbed on and saying over and over"we're not fcuking punks"...would have been around late October 1978. On the SAFC 100 years video theres a bit with the front page of the Echo on, and you can see an article/picture of this gig.

I was there that night, seats being ripped up, and Geldof being gobbed on and saying over and over"we're not fcuking punks"...would have been around late October 1978. On the SAFC 100 years video theres a bit with the front page of the Echo on, and you can see an article/picture of this gig.

I think the fallout of the gig shared next days front page of the Echo with the sacking of Jimmy Adamson iirc.

The extended version of the first album is very good. Some great extra tracks. Also off that album Close As You'll Ever Be and especially I Can Make It If You Can.
It's the better one of those so far recommended after having given them all a spin, without Geldof bias.

Might be a half decent LP - the first one that is.

Back