Books or a Kindle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both have their place, but I find I pick up more second hand books as they're cheaper than e-books and I'm tight (but not a thieving bastard).

Kindle is a game changer though.

There are loads of books for free on the net, check out the Gutenburg project 54000 books free there, kindle for me now.I can read and turn pages one handed leaving the other one free for the whiskey.Used to have shelves of books, now they are either on my kindle or backed up on PC.

There are loads of books for free on the net, check out the Gutenburg project 54000 books free there, kindle for me now.I can read and turn pages one handed leaving the other one free for the whiskey.Used to have shelves of books, now they are either on my kindle or backed up on PC.
Clocked it.

Also on a kindle if you want to look up a word you just highlight it and it gives you a definition. Class.

What do people prefer/use these days?
I personally always use a physical copy, only once used a Kindle and didn't feel right so went back to proper books.
books , havent used my kindle for years , i need decent sized print because of my poor eye sight and setting the kindle up so its readable means theres very little on each page so am turning to the next page on the kindle constantly its a pain.

Love books but the Kindle is far more practical. Can read at night if I can't sleep, easy to carry around and has the ability to download a book as soon as you want it.

I still buy books, but they tend to be old ones that I want in my collection.

Just signed up to audible books and started listening to them instead of reading them.....Dead time driving is now spent listening to books that I never have time to read.....Didnt think it would be for me but really enjoying it.

Just signed up to audible books and started listening to them instead of reading them.....Dead time driving is now spent listening to books that I never have time to read.....Didnt think it would be for me but really enjoying it.
Dad was blind and he loved his audio books like although sometimes what was available was pretty poor.

Dad was blind and he loved his audio books like although sometimes what was available was pretty poor.

Everything I have looked for is available now, really enjoying it tbh. The audible books app also has a function that allows you to set a time limit on how long it runs in case you fall to kip when listening in bed....Normally set it for 15 mins on a night so if you drop to sleep easy to find your place again. Often too knackered to bother reading on a night, nice to find a way to enjoy "books" and literature without having to actually read it...Also get a better kip than when watching Netflix etc.

Couldn't switch to a Kindle fully till they were good enough in terms of resolution and decent backlight for night and my Voyage is great.

Though I allegedly don't like my purchased books being totally owned by Amazon. You lose your Amazon account your books are gone. The app Calibre gets past that and can also convert your books into epub for Apple iBooks and other ebook readers. It's a bit cranky to use but works really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back