Books or a Kindle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’ve tried tried kindle a couple of times tkmes and I just can’t get away with it so books all the time

Kindle for travelling, not even close.

Book club books , buy whichever is cheaper.

Atlases, recipe books, - want a real book.

A Kindle is in addition to real books you want to keep.

I’ve tried tried kindle a couple of times tkmes and I just can’t get away with it so books all the time
I have a chunky leather case for mine which makes it feel more book like to hold. I've just tried reading it without it on and it's horrible.

Kindle app on my phone. Generally read when on the train going somewhere for work, nice and easy to just read on my phone rather than carrying a book around. If I decide to read a different book again it's a lot easier to do that on the kindle. The other time I read is when I've gone to bed and I like that I can turn the light of and still read on the kindle app, find it more comfortable than holding a book too

At the moment use Kindle app as handy enough for when I am travelling, i.e. When on the ferry over to Scotland. Prefer actual books, but for convenience and space saving the kindle app is handy enough.

When the Kindle first came I was like it will never catch on and why bother when a book has a much better feel to it, then by chance I tried a one (friends Kindle ) because he had the Keane Bio on it, and I have never looked back just love the way you can carry a library around with you and I have gone from the original to the paperwhite now using the voyage and will probably move onto the oasis in time. The Kindle is great but cannot beat the feel of a real book which I consider to be precious and should be looked after and not just taken everywhere to be ruined by say rain or sand so I would say kindle for convenience and books to be used in safer environment (in your home )

Sitting at home on the sofa - proper book.
Sitting on a train or away for the weekend - Kindle

Although the Kindle definately is more convenient in most ways. You can can't quickly refer to the glossary, or quickly glance at the map in fantasy adventures. But in a printed book, you can't suddenly decide you want the print larger when your eyes are getting a little sore

Last edited:
i was another one who thought kindle's would be a gimmick. then i bought one and wouldn't be without it now.
it's a godsend when i go on holiday and means i don't have to take loads of books with me.

Kindle app on my phone. Generally read when on the train going somewhere for work, nice and easy to just read on my phone rather than carrying a book around. If I decide to read a different book again it's a lot easier to do that on the kindle. The other time I read is when I've gone to bed and I like that I can turn the light of and still read on the kindle app, find it more comfortable than holding a book too
The kindle app knackers your eyes after reading for like 10 minutes. A backlit led screen just isnt intended for spending a long time reading. I don't even like the kindle they put out with a backlit screen. Strains your eyes too much.
You need a light source seperate

Best part of the kindle for me is I can just see a book I want, download it almost instantly and have it on my kindle within minutes. I've read a lot more than I would have without it over the last few years.

What do people prefer/use these days?
I personally always use a physical copy, only once used a Kindle and didn't feel right so went back to proper books.
I always thought I’d struggle with a kindle, love the feel of a book. The first time I took a kindle on holiday I took books as well in case I couldn’t get away with the kindle.
Truth is I loved the kindle and I’ve never looked back, even if I do feel a bit of a heathen, also less books means more shoes in a suitcase :)

Kindle PaperWhite for me especially for holidays. Still have a lot of books in the house but when I decided to re read an old George Orwell Penguin paperback I found the text far too small for comfort.

Kindle for me for several reasons,

1, I have bad joints in fingers and hands making holding a book difficult and tiresome.

2, If I had purchased all the books I have loaded on the kindle, I would have needed a house extension by now.

3, Consequently simple to locate a particular book I wish to refer to again on Kindle, rather than raking through
endless shelves of books.

4, Handy to have any number of books readily available on Kindle while travelling for a long period, rather than humping piles of books about on aircraft or all over the knot end.

5, Last but definitely not least is the facility to read a sizeable section on Kindle free of charge, before coughing up,
rather than having forked out on a book you expected to be good only to quickly find it’s a load of shite and money down the drain.

Both have their place, but I find I pick up more second hand books as they're cheaper than e-books and I'm tight (but not a thieving bastard).

Kindle is a game changer though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back