Books or a Kindle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

My kindle just went kaput! Halfway through mill on the floss.

I read a lot of fiction (and own a lot of novels) but I love my Paperwhite to bits. I tend now only to buy novels that I want to keep (mostly authors whose every book I know I'll buy) and read everything else on the Kindle. I like having a really big choice of things to read next to suit my mood, my eyes love the ability to change the text size, and I love the ability to read in the dark/very dim light - my eyes have aged dramatically in the last six months and reading in dim light is a strain now. Not with the Paperwhite, and it's so much nicer to read from than a tablet.

And...although I do love books and bookshops and books as fetish objects, as a writer I sometimes wince a little at the love-the-smell-the-feel-etc...what matters most is the words, and if I'm reading something really good the medium becomes invisible.

Kobo mainly, still read some paper books but don't have to bother with reading glasses with the Kobo.

Tablet, kindle and phone nowadays. Used to love collecting books but just more convenient getting digital as I can get what I want when I want. Also the space I'm saving now.

What do people prefer/use these days?
I personally always use a physical copy, only once used a Kindle and didn't feel right so went back to proper books.
Kindle when you are in transit, otherwise books.

Books and kindle. I use the kindle for general reading, and just buy my keeping books. I love the free books section on Amazon, it’s a good way of finding new writers.

By the way, thanks for the thread, it’s reminded me to go and plug my kindle in as it was moaning at me last night that it needed recharging. I fell asleep and forgot last night, and forgot again this morning before coming downstairs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back