Bomb discovered under Police Car in Belfast

Dungiven isn't Belfast.
I was living in NI when Ronan Kerr was murdered. I'll always remember listening to a Republican on the radio whose niece joined the Psni describe her a valid target after someone planted a bomb under her car.
Proper hit home how some are so entrenched in the struggle that they have probably lost sight of what's worth fighting for

The explosive devices are usually constructed in Dublin.
I don't mean that and I would disagree, they are normally made up in countryside hideouts.
What I meant was both sides of the divide lie a lot, I often wonder how many of these bombs are made up for whatever reason at the time.

I knew what you meant.

On your second point bombs are usually made up for blowing things up - people/places that sort of thing.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the culprits are arrested within a couple of days. It's not like the 70s and 80's when technology was limited and terrorists only had to avoid potential road blocks and informers tipping off the security forces. Even in the early 90s it was getting harder for the IRA to operate.

I sometimes wonder how much of this stuff is actually made up in Belfast.

Not sure about now but during the troubles wasn't quite a lot of it made local, they had their own bomb technicians who were using parts from RC planes iirc. Doubt much has changed with regards to where it's made. Probably easier to assemble a bomb local than have it come in from elsewhere.
Wouldn’t be surprised if the culprits are arrested within a couple of days. It's not like the 70s and 80's when technology was limited and terrorists only had to avoid potential road blocks and informers tipping off the security forces. Even in the early 90s it was getting harder for the IRA to operate.
This was my thinking, the control and surveillance we have today should mean most of the people involved in this are known.

Back