Bolton have postponed game v Doncaster over fears

• Thread starter Deleted member 6830
  • Start date

It's a bit shit for our club too as it looks like the vast majority of our fans won't be seeing any festive football this year. It will also take a big financial hit over this. The club should be compensated imo

If a Sunday morning team did this they’d be fined loads and have points deducted.
As much of a shit situation it is for their fans ultimately they must fulfil their fixtures even if it means playing kids.
Plenty of Donny fans will have made arrangements.
If the league let this slide they’ll do it again.

If a Sunday morning team did this they’d be fined loads and have points deducted.
As much of a shit situation it is for their fans ultimately they must fulfil their fixtures even if it means playing kids.
Plenty of Donny fans will have made arrangements.
If the league let this slide they’ll do it again.

It's not that simple.

Kids can't play three times in a week against seasoned pros.

That much should be apparent to the EFL given that the club have twice asked them to postpone fixtures this season.

It's not that simple.

That much should be apparent to the EFL given that the club have twice asked them to postpone fixtures this season.

It is though, as I’ve already said and u agreed that by saying u can’t play 3 times a week u are admitting that u are unable to fulfil your fixtures, as such efl has no option but to expel u, the administrator has a very little time left, days in fact, to sort a takeover out or you’re gone I’m afraid

Even if a takeover is completed you’ve then got the daunting problem of putting a squad together.

If clubs have plenty of notice then maybe Saturdays freed up by cancelled Bury and Bolton games can be used for fixtures rearranged due to international commitments.

If we lose four fixtures will that stop the talk of 100 points ?

Last edited:

It's not that simple.

When I was 17 I played football every day for hours. The 17 year olds at every club train every day and some in that age group at other clubs go on to play almost every game a season. The simple solution is to reduce their training hours and focus them on the games. Using these players is the only way Bolton can currently fulfil their fixtures. It’s either that or pull out / be kicked out of the league.
I do feel for the fans but there’s a competition here which Bolton have entered. There can’t continually be shitting on fans of other clubs as they have done with Doncaster.

Plenty people not thinking this through. There but for the grace of God etc. Imagine if it was us! Not easy for league's rulers either. If they fold, do you delete all points gained against them/award everyone 3. Does the season become pointless for many clubs in the division? The EFL obviously wanted to give both clubs a chance to survive despite already effectively condemning them to relegation. It is a mess. I wonder how many clubs are close to a similar predicament.

When I was 17 I played football every day for hours. The 17 year olds at every club train every day and some in that age group at other clubs go on to play almost every game a season. The simple solution is to reduce their training hours and focus them on the games. Using these players is the only way Bolton can currently fulfil their fixtures. It’s either that or pull out / be kicked out of the league.
I do feel for the fans but there’s a competition here which Bolton have entered. There can’t continually be shitting on fans of other clubs as they have done with Doncaster.
When u were 17 you weren’t playing against technically better players who were also both physically and mentally stronger than u in front of x thousand fans, it is a completely different scenario and Bolton have a duty of care to their youngsters which they are not fulfilling by continually using them to fulfil fixtures.

As to your second point I agree and unless the administrator manages to sell the club in the next few days the efl will have no option but to expel them from the league as they clearly can’t fulfil their fixtures
Plenty people not thinking this through. There but for the grace of God etc. Imagine if it was us! Not easy for league's rulers either. If they fold, do you delete all points gained against them/award everyone 3. Does the season become pointless for many clubs in the division? The EFL obviously wanted to give both clubs a chance to survive despite already effectively condemning them to relegation. It is a mess. I wonder how many clubs are close to a similar predicament.
Rules are in place already if both bury or Bolton cease to exists all results would be expunged

Last edited:
Im not sure i agree but can understand where you are coming from. From what i gather they are mostly 18/19 year olds. Half of tgem will probably fade out the game if they never had this chance, so its great for them to have it on their cv
Was listening to radio Sheffield yesterday and ac ouple of Donny fans made some legitimate points. One of which wa sthe fact that by the time they eventually play Bolton, they will be able to field a much better squad. Now for arguments sake Doncaster get beat in the rearranged fixture that they would most likely have won against, as you say, young lads. Clubs miss out on signing players, players get injured etc. Imagine cancelling games if you thought you might lose due to having a weakened squad due to injuries. I know its not quite the same but many would surely make that argument.
The answer would surely be this.. if Bolton cant play a team due to the welfare of their youth set up, they default the game as a loss 1-0. Donny get the points, and should the worst happen and they go out of business, any points gained in this matter are expunged.

If clubs have plenty of notice then maybe Saturdays freed up by cancelled Bury and Bolton games can be used for fixtures rearranged due to international commitments.

If we lose four fixtures will that stop the talk of 100 points ?
Not if we're awarded 3-0 forfeit wins. Some of Boltons fixtures have been played so not sure how the EFL will work it out
The answer would surely be this.. if Bolton cant play a team due to the welfare of their youth set up, they default the game as a loss 1-0. Donny get the points, and should the worst happen and they go out of business, any points gained in this matter are expunged.
1-0 isn't enough i think as they've just lost 5-0

Last edited:
Not if we're awarded 3-0 forfeit wins. Some of Boltons fixtures have been played so not sure how the EFL will work it out

1-0 isn't enough i think as they've just lost 5-0

The rules are very clear; if a club fails to complete the season, then its record is expunged. It's as if their games never happened. At non-league level, South Shields benefited from this when a club went bust, and they were the only one of the promotion candidates who had dropped points against them. They dropped fewer points when the record was erased.

It is the medical team that have raised objections.

There's a huge difference in physicality between kids that have only ever played Academy games and the players they're coming up against.

They're concerned about them playing three games in a week at a far greater intensity than they're used to.

You should be fulfilling fixtures regardless.....

It’s tragic, but them and Bury should be thrown out of the league, it’s a total farce

This 100%.

It's awful and that's the last thing that any football fan wants, however Tranmere were basically given a 5-0 walkover victory at the weekend. If Bolton are taken over and sort themselves out then how is it fair that from that point teams play a stronger Bolton side? The entire thing calls into question the integrity of the league imo. They should be thrown out, along with Bury and have their couple of results scrubbed from the record.

Back