Boiler breakdown cover....advice needed.

Snaggletooth

Midfield
Hi all, hoping for a bit advice.
Had boiler, central heating, and plumbing and electrics cover with British gas for years, but over the years the price has kept creeping up. Just had this years and it's gone up by £140 to £520 a year!!
Not paying that.

Looking on various comparison websites for similar cover, seems there is quite a few alternatives.
Anyone use or have experience of any of the following....

24/7 Home Rescue
Plusheat
Your Repair
Hometree

Or any other suggestions would be most welcome.
Just to add, we aren't covered through our home insurance or as a bank account benefit.

How old is the boiler? I think most of the policies have a beyond economic repair clause in them beyond a certain age on the boiler. So if it does breakdown and the repair costs more than the value of the boiler, they'll not carry out a repair. I think the options are then to cover the cost of the repair yourself (parts become harder to get hold of and more expensive the older the boiler) or fork out for a new one.

We are with Homeserve I think. My mam and Dad are with Domestic and General and we have had a good few quid out of them recently and they sorted stuff quickly.
Our water company sent through an offer for homeserve plumbing and water pipe cover - £12 for a year.

When we had an older boiler then I’d alternate cover between homeserve and British Gas.

Though it’s probably better to own a newer boiler that is still within the guarantee.

Or make friends with a decent heating engineer.

£1.80 a month with a free service.

Depending on the age of the boiler, I'd be very careful with these types of deals. Speaking from experience you may end up paying the call put fee just for them to say it's beyond economic repair. You may also find you book in the service, only for it to be cancelled on the day a few times..

Depending on the age of the boiler, I'd be very careful with these types of deals. Speaking from experience you may end up paying the call put fee just for them to say it's beyond economic repair. You may also find you book in the service, only for it to be cancelled on the day a few times..

£1.80 including a service isn't bad, just hope it doesn't go wrong. 😂

To be fair, if a boiler is too old it's going to be written off if anything major goes wrong. If the offer is still on when mine needs a service I'll get it just got that, even though it's under warranty.

Last edited:
Maybe try and haggle with BG?
We took cover out with BG in September, £20 a month including an annual service. Covered for boiler, heating system, all plumbing and drains. Also I'm sure some repair costs are covered with that too

Back