Boiler advice

You mean TRV - settings on each rad? Those are just "limiters" for each room.

I'm talking about the setting on the boiler itself.

Rads are basically on or off. You're right that the TRV settings are basically individual thermostats.
Ah right . It's a new ideal and it's set just above "eco", fitter said to do that as eco is a bit low and can lead to bacteria.
As you can tell I know next to fuck all about plumbing and heating

Ah right . It's a new ideal and it's set just above "eco", fitter said to do that as eco is a bit low and can lead to bacteria.
As you can tell I know next to fuck all about plumbing and heating
Sounds like that's your hot water tank. Different system to your central heating, that's a closed loop.

I think he means that solely gaseous water is invisible, but if its condensing at the same time, you can see water droplets being carried with the gas.
Maybe?

Not sure this is what "water vapour" is, but I get his point. Although if you're going to be a pedant.....

I think he means that solely gaseous water is invisible, but if its condensing at the same time, you can see water droplets being carried with the gas.
Maybe?

Not sure this is what "water vapour" is, but I get his point. Although if you're going to be a pedant.....

The steam gets wet as it cools and becomes visible. Steam is still water in a gas even if it's invisible.
I mean if you have a dinner or a cuppa put down in front of you and it's hot you don't say "I'll leave that to cool off a bit, there's still water vapour rising from it".
"A nice steaming cup of coffee" isn't referred to as "a water vapour emitting cup of coffee" .

I think he's right tbh
" Both vapour and steam are gaseous states of matter. ... Water vapor is little water droplets that exist in the air, "

in my old house, i used to have a worcester condensor and loads of white steam used to come out of that when it was cold. Seen cold days where i`d be hanging out the window with a hairdryer trying to defrost it

I think he's right tbh
" Both vapour and steam are gaseous states of matter. ... Water vapor is little water droplets that exist in the air, "

In Commando when Arnie sticks that pipe through the bloke and water vapour comes out, he says "Bennet, let off some steam". Good enough for me.
in my old house, i used to have a worcester condensor and loads of white steam used to come out of that when it was cold. Seen cold days where i`d be hanging out the window with a hairdryer trying to defrost it

White water vapour ffs

That sounds a lot like, I have a 23 year old potterton boiler - so about as inefficient as possible, 3 bed det, 4 adults all at or WFH. Its like the illuminations in our sitting room on a night, I pay £105 pm wit Avro energy, sounds like your on a high tariff mate, I know next to nowt about condensing boilers but as others have said you need to get it checked out, you also should do a comparison for your energy Cheap Energy Club - Compare Gas & Electricity and Save
Similar here £110 a month, 4 bed house, three adults at home all day with a 27 year old potterton boiler

Simple terms.
The radiators are on a loop. Hot water goes in, then through every rad, then back into the boiler as less-hot water before being reheated.

In a condensing boiler, the "lost" heat from the flame is sent through a heat exchanger, and the cooled-water goes through that first, before going into the actual boiler. You recover some of the lost heat.
But the condensing temp of the gas is about 60C, so if the cooled-water is still above about 55C, it can't take much (or any) heat from the condenser

My rads are set to 60C. So for sure, the return water is able to get the most out of the condenser. Its 10-15% more efficient that setting them high like we used to with old boilers.

(I didn't look up the condensing temps, but feel free to confirm it for yourself. I did set mine to 60c based on the real numbers, though)

So if mine is set to 77c it's wasting energy and money?

Back