Body Fat %

Yeah I agree. Wouldn’t take too much notice if those machines. Don’t think I’ll ever lose the bit fat around my lower abs although top ones aren’t bad for a 38 year old.

Yeah I have green beans, peas, asparagus etc with evening meal. The coffee is a must Man. :lol:

Thank fuck for that, was concerned for your colon there!

Losing fat is simple. Eat less calories than you burn. To maintain your muscle mass as much as possible eat a high protein diet (in the thread starters case about 160 grams per day) and do resistance training.

Basically @CornwallCat has about 16 weeks to drop 8% of body fat.
Currently you body fat weighs roughly 19kg.
To be 15% at your current weight you need to lose about 7kg of pure fat, whilst adding the same in muscle. That's just not going to happen without steroids.
So you need to lose weight to get your fat down to 15%.
If you were to lose pure fat, then you'd need to drop 8 kg to get to 15% body fat. But again that isn't going to happen is you are bound to lose some muscle.
So let's say you will also lose 2 kg of muscle. That means you've got to drop 10kg, of which we hope 8kg is fat and 2 kg is muscle (it wont be, as there is water weight etc, but this is just a guide).
By dropping 10 kg you'll weight 73 kg and if roughly 8 of those kg lost are fat, then you'll have about 11 kg of fat left.
11 (remaining fat in KG) divided by 73 (weight in KG after 16 weeks) is about 15%, which is your target fat %.
So you need to lose 10 kg or 22 lbs in 16 weeks.
22 divided by 16 is about 1.4.
So you need to target losing about 1.4 Ibs per week.
There are roughly 3500 calories that need to be burned to drop 1 lb in weight.
So to drop 1.4 lbs per week, you need to lose 1.4 x 3500 = 4,900.
So to find out what you need to drop your daily calories by just divide 4,900 by 7 = 700.
So, to achieve your goal by August, you should be trying to eat 700 calories less than you burn, whilst eating about 2 grams of protein per kg.
Next step is to find a calorie calculator to give yourself a good idea of what you need to be eating to maintain your current weight given your activity level etc.
Once you've done that minus the 700 and that is what you should eat per day. At least 10% should be fats, 640 calories worth should be protein and the rest carbs.

Good science there like. For me nothing is simple except me, but like your reasoning very helpful info, Cheers.

Measured my BF% on the new machine at the Gym last week and it said 23% (roughly what I expected). I’m 5’11 and 83kg.

Want to try and get down to somewhere around 15% before my holiday in August - reckon that’s possible? Been lifting 4/5x a week since consistently since January with 2x swims a week but I think I need to improve my diet to shift the fat now. Any tips?

Cheers

I’m at 14% now, happy to help if you still need it.

I’m at 14% now, happy to help if you still need it.
Cheers marra - I haven't been giving this as much attention as I should've been due to exams but still made some small improvements - I'm now 82kg and 20% according to the machine at the gym.

Got 3 months now to shift the last 5%. Still been hitting the gym just need to cut calories now. Should be easily doable? How did you get down to 15%?

Losing fat is simple. Eat less calories than you burn. To maintain your muscle mass as much as possible eat a high protein diet (in the thread starters case about 160 grams per day) and do resistance training.

Basically @CornwallCat has about 16 weeks to drop 8% of body fat.
Currently you body fat weighs roughly 19kg.
To be 15% at your current weight you need to lose about 7kg of pure fat, whilst adding the same in muscle. That's just not going to happen without steroids.
So you need to lose weight to get your fat down to 15%.
If you were to lose pure fat, then you'd need to drop 8 kg to get to 15% body fat. But again that isn't going to happen is you are bound to lose some muscle.
So let's say you will also lose 2 kg of muscle. That means you've got to drop 10kg, of which we hope 8kg is fat and 2 kg is muscle (it wont be, as there is water weight etc, but this is just a guide).
By dropping 10 kg you'll weight 73 kg and if roughly 8 of those kg lost are fat, then you'll have about 11 kg of fat left.
11 (remaining fat in KG) divided by 73 (weight in KG after 16 weeks) is about 15%, which is your target fat %.
So you need to lose 10 kg or 22 lbs in 16 weeks.
22 divided by 16 is about 1.4.
So you need to target losing about 1.4 Ibs per week.
There are roughly 3500 calories that need to be burned to drop 1 lb in weight.
So to drop 1.4 lbs per week, you need to lose 1.4 x 3500 = 4,900.
So to find out what you need to drop your daily calories by just divide 4,900 by 7 = 700.
So, to achieve your goal by August, you should be trying to eat 700 calories less than you burn, whilst eating about 2 grams of protein per kg.
Next step is to find a calorie calculator to give yourself a good idea of what you need to be eating to maintain your current weight given your activity level etc.
Once you've done that minus the 700 and that is what you should eat per day. At least 10% should be fats, 640 calories worth should be protein and the rest carbs.

Absolutely Incredible

Cheers marra - I haven't been giving this as much attention as I should've been due to exams but still made some small improvements - I'm now 82kg and 20% according to the machine at the gym.

Got 3 months now to shift the last 5%. Still been hitting the gym just need to cut calories now. Should be easily doable? How did you get down to 15%?

Mainly protein based diet (fatty protein in the morning (eggs) and evening (salmon/steak) and lean protein (chicken breast or white fish) twice a day (either side of a post workout lunch protein shake).

Green veg with every meal, spinach in the morning eggs, beans, broccoli, super snaps, peas etc

3-4 litres of water per day without fail.

Zero carbs/sugar/alcohol/dairy (other than a few carbs from the greens) and some healthy fats (olive oil, avocado, olives, nuts)

Whole body work out four times per week on push/pull basis with Wednesdays off. Some light cardio at the weekend but nothing that would impact recovery.

Heading for 12% and then maintain with a few cheat meals.

.5% body fat per week/fortnight is realistic...consistency is key

Add a few morning light cardio sessions (incline walking) to burn additional 400-500 calories or the odd fasting day to make it happen quicker now but be careful of overcompensating with additional calories as your body will crave something to fill the gap rather than use fat stores.

Ideally you are already taking supplements every morning?

I take:

2 x omega 3 fish oil
1 x multivitamin
2 x 20billion probiotic
Magnesium
Vitamin D (I’m ginger)
l-Carnitine (this one is important...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mainly protein based diet (fatty protein in the morning (eggs) and evening (salmon/steak) and lean protein (chicken breast or white fish) twice a day (either side of a post workout lunch protein shake).

Green veg with every meal, spinach in the morning eggs, beans, broccoli, super snaps, peas etc

3-4 litres of water per day without fail.

Zero carbs/sugar/alcohol/dairy (other than a few carbs from the greens) and some healthy fats (olive oil, avocado, olives, nuts)

Whole body work out four times per week on push/pull basis with Wednesdays off. Some light cardio at the weekend but nothing that would impact recovery.

Heading for 12% and then maintain with a few cheat meals.

.5% body fat per week/fortnight is realistic...consistency is key

Add a few morning light cardio sessions (incline walking) to burn additional 400-500 calories or the odd fasting day to make it happen quicker now but be careful of overcompensating with additional calories as your body will crave something to fill the gap rather than use fat stores.

Ideally you are already taking supplements every morning?

I take:

2 x omega 3 fish oil
1 x multivitamin
2 x 20billion probiotic
Magnesium
Vitamin D (I’m ginger)
l-Carnitine (this one is important...)

Cheers that’s helpful.

I know - it’s all in the diet isn’t it, I just need to be consistent and stricter with myself. Did you not even have any complex carbs after exercise? Do you find it hard to stick to?

In terms of gym I’m doing similar - minimum 4 sessions a week (chest/tris, back/bis, shoulder/abs, legs) with a 80 length swim and some football thrown in.

I’m taking nothing in the way of supplements except Whey shakes. Does taking that stuff make much difference? Might need to invest if so.

12% would be excellent, have you been that low before? 0.5% a week seems reasonable for me and would enable me to hit the goal in time - I’ll keep you updated on progress!

Cheers

Cheers that’s helpful.

I know - it’s all in the diet isn’t it, I just need to be consistent and stricter with myself. Did you not even have any complex carbs after exercise? Do you find it hard to stick to?

In terms of gym I’m doing similar - minimum 4 sessions a week (chest/tris, back/bis, shoulder/abs, legs) with a 80 length swim and some football thrown in.

I’m taking nothing in the way of supplements except Whey shakes. Does taking that stuff make much difference? Might need to invest if so.

12% would be excellent, have you been that low before? 0.5% a week seems reasonable for me and would enable me to hit the goal in time - I’ll keep you updated on progress!

Cheers

No worries.

Yes, it’s mainly in the diet. High protein and working out just ensures your weight loss is fat and not muscle.

Don’t miss carbs at all. I have 5 filling meals per day (protein and fats are filling) so never hungry and feel I’m in the best physical and mental shape in my life. Carbs make you fat and dopey and both sugar and alcohol are toxins.

No, 12% is my target and I’ve never been at that level before. I just don’t think single digit body fat is maintainable while having a nice life.

Supplements def make a MASSIVE difference for a natural lifter (ie not on steroids). It’s pricey but worth it. Along with the vitamin content of the green veg you will feel amazing after three weeks of taking them every day.

12% will give me four cheat meals and two nights with a glass of wine or two per week, while sticking with the diet the rest of the time.

Remember, as for as the diet is concerned, consistency and boring are good. Try for 12 week’s but even if you go four to six weeks with just one blowout/drinking session that’s

No worries.

Yes, it’s mainly in the diet. High protein and working out just ensures your weight loss is fat and not muscle.

Don’t miss carbs at all. I have 5 filling meals per day (protein and fats are filling) so never hungry and feel I’m in the best physical and mental shape in my life. Carbs make you fat and dopey and both sugar and alcohol are toxins.

No, 12% is my target and I’ve never been at that level before. I just don’t think single digit body fat is maintainable while having a nice life.

Supplements def make a MASSIVE difference for a natural lifter (ie not on steroids). It’s pricey but worth it. Along with the vitamin content of the green veg you will feel amazing after three weeks of taking them every day.

12% will give me four cheat meals and two nights with a glass of wine or two per week, while sticking with the diet the rest of the time.

Remember, as for as the diet is concerned, consistency and boring are good. Try for 12 week’s but even if you go four to six weeks with just one blowout/drinking session that’s

@supersesh @Titus

Is this true??

No not at all. Biggest pile of shite I've read on here.

No worries.

Bullshit

Bullshit

Bullshit

Bullshit

Delusional

Spent my life as a young'n reading and listening to absolute shite like this above, for years man! Please accept you know absolutely fuck all about what you're talking about and shouldn't at all be posting advice.

Anyone reading it please disregard it completely.

P>S I am on 450g of carbs a day lean all year round and at roughly 9% body fat. Natural - but that means fuck all.

Spent my life as a young'n reading and listening to absolute shite like this above, for years man! Please accept you know absolutely fuck all about what you're talking about and shouldn't at all be posting advice.

P>S I am on 450g of carbs a day lean all year round and at roughly 9% body fat. Natural - but that means fuck all.

Think you need to stop taking the roids. Seems to be making you a bit irate there.

You literally have no idea who I am or what I know, so how about you accept that you’re talking complete bollocks and shut your f***ing mouth?

Think you need to stop taking the roids. Seems to be making you a bit irate there.

You literally have no idea who I am or what I know, so how about you accept that you’re talking complete bollocks and shut your f***ing mouth?

From reading your posts it appears that you are the one talking complete bollocks. With bullshit advice flowing so freely from your mouth like that it wouldn't surprise me if you are one of the slimming world marjories

It doesn't matter who you are. It matters what you've wrote, and that shows what you know. You're gonna cause people who are perhaps new to fitness ( like I was one time ) to believe and follow your stupid shit, thus getting no results.

Some one asked my opinion. My opinion is you're talking complete bullshit.

Others will be along soon to say the same.

just take it on the chin pal, I'm not into this keyboard warrior stuff.

It doesn't matter who you are. It matters what you've wrote, and that shows what you know. You're gonna cause people who are perhaps new to fitness ( like I was one time ) to believe and follow your stupid shit, thus getting no results.

You’re the one who started off being aggressive so don’t wince when you get it back.

Getting no results? I’ve just done the exact thing the lads trying to do.

Imgur

Surely what works for one person may not be the best way for another - if someone achieves the results they want it’s difficult to tell them it’s wrong. I’m open to a variety of opinions.

What would you advise in my position @supersesh @duff_man

Back