Boat Honker

I haven't lived in Sunderland for nearly 50 years do they still sound the Bull Horn off Roker pier on a foggy day? When I was growing up in the town you certainly heard ships horns and the ship yard buzzers sounding the start and end of work every day. I can even remember a few steam train whistles.

On a foggy day though the Bull Horn would carry all over the city. You could hear it in Marley Pots from the end of Roker pier. It sounded like a great beast at the gates of hell and ended its groan with a deep WHUMMMMPH. (All fog horns had their own distinctive voices so mariners could tell which one it was). A fantastic sound in the stillness of a foggy day.

I haven't lived in Sunderland for nearly 50 years do they still sound the Bull Horn off Roker pier on a foggy day? When I was growing up in the town you certainly heard ships horns and the ship yard buzzers sounding the start and end of work every day. I can even remember a few steam train whistles.

On a foggy day though the Bull Horn would carry all over the city. You could hear it in Marley Pots from the end of Roker pier. It sounded like a great beast at the gates of hell and ended its groan with a deep WHUMMMMPH. (All fog horns had their own distinctive voices so mariners could tell which one it was). A fantastic sound in the stillness of a foggy day.

fog horn is still off Roker pier, the Souter lighthouse ones are no longer used operationally.

That aside they also transport the smaller cranes by road from the Deptford plant along then down the High Street..there’s a video of it being done..all the traffic gets stopped and it’s bit of a chew on manoeuvring it down the high street to the docks.
But the new road was to provide unfettered access to the port!!!
Wonder how much you pay in Postage and Packaging for one of them.
Or to send it back cos you don’t like colour

You thought wrong my friend - international regulations for preventing collisions at sea, ships and all craft that are under way – moving in the water – are required to signal their presence in fog with a foghorn.
Seems to be a very old fashioned thing these days
The fog horn we hear isn’t on a vessel is it
Is warning of rocks or a lighthouse

You thought wrong my friend - international regulations for preventing collisions at sea, ships and all craft that are under way – moving in the water – are required to signal their presence in fog with a foghorn.
I won’t lose sleep not having to do any IRPCS tests for the next year or so.
Seems to be a very old fashioned thing these days
The fog horn we hear isn’t on a vessel is it
Is warning of rocks or a lighthouse

the boat leaving the quay is turning into a blind corner so any incoming vessels are unable to see them or be seen themselves.

Last edited:

Back