Blyth Gigaplant

Interestingly, the local authority in Coventry, a location which Britishvolt were considering in setting up, are pressing ahead with plans to build their own 'gigafactory' and are bidding for government funding (£500M available). Is it between Coventry and Blyth or is there demand for both?

The access and roads round there are shite for that number of prospective employees
Why do all that work round Datsun and testos and not build it their
Oh that's right harry hill is the new Tory mp!!

Its great news for the area but you're right, the access roads to blyth are horrendous, i sued to worj there a few years ago, and whther its blyth or Cambois (North Blyth) its a nightmare to get in and out of

Interestingly, the local authority in Coventry, a location which Britishvolt were considering in setting up, are pressing ahead with plans to build their own 'gigafactory' and are bidding for government funding (£500M available). Is it between Coventry and Blyth or is there demand for both?

Given that all cars produced in 2030 will likely be mandated to have a largish battery on board - then yes a big manufacturing effort for batteries is required-
this one looks like a fishing expo for a big boy.

There are already about a dozen battery plants being built across Europe - with the epicentre around central EU / Germany

Given that all cars produced in 2030 will likely be mandated to have a largish battery on board - then yes a big manufacturing effort for batteries is required-
this one looks like a fishing expo for a big boy.

There are already about a dozen battery plants being built across Europe - with the epicentre around central EU / Germany

Battery technology has come on leaps and bounds over the last decade; a given size of battery offers loads more range than in 2011 and costs a hell of a lot £/kWh less (I believe that's one way of measuring it). Hopefully it's not like the semi-conductor scenario posted earlier in the thread whereby the market soon becomes saturated.

Battery technology has come on leaps and bounds over the last decade; a given size of battery offers loads more range than in 2011 and costs a hell of a lot £/kWh less (I believe that's one way of measuring it). Hopefully it's not like the semi-conductor scenario posted earlier in the thread whereby the market soon becomes saturated.
I doubt it

A single battery costs several £k

You woukd only build them to satisfy a specific order

The access and roads round there are shite for that number of prospective employees
Why do all that work round Datsun and testos and not build it their
Oh that's right harry hill is the new Tory mp!!
Its great news for the area but you're right, the access roads to blyth are horrendous, i sued to worj there a few years ago, and whther its blyth or Cambois (North Blyth) its a nightmare to get in and out of

Port access for starters and I don't know how your getting there but it's built on a high quality single carriageway connected to a dual carriageway about 500m down the road... Exactly the same as Nissan was until about a year ago. The only problem area is Moor Farm but Nissan has Whitemare Pool / Washington Galleries for anyone coming from the West anyway.

As someone from the area both replies here sound petty and jealous that it's not being built in Sunderland. Do you want all the investment in the North East? You's are getting Amazon aswell, not to mention the IAMP for even more jobs.

Port access for starters and I don't know how your getting there but it's built on a high quality single carriageway connected to a dual carriageway about 500m down the road... Exactly the same as Nissan was until about a year ago. The only problem area is Moor Farm but Nissan has Whitemare Pool / Washington Galleries for anyone coming from the West anyway.

As someone from the area both replies here sound petty and jealous that it's not being built in Sunderland. Do you want all the investment in the North East? You's are getting Amazon aswell, not to mention the IAMP for even more jobs.
You's😀

I’m from ashington, so the plant is a big deal for this area, and the dual carriageway feeds into a nightmare road beyond that, if the plant was in actual blyth, road wise it’s horrendous getting in and out, I used to work at kitty Brewster estate so know it well.
If it’s at Cambois/north blyth coming off the dual carriageway it is all going to depend on the number of people working on shift at any one time.. so could cause some issues at busy times, again, depending on how many people will work there at any particular shift..

I’m from ashington, so the plant is a big deal for this area, and the dual carriageway feeds into a nightmare road beyond that, if the plant was in actual blyth, road wise it’s horrendous getting in and out, I used to work at kitty Brewster estate so know it well.
If it’s at Cambois/north blyth coming off the dual carriageway it is all going to depend on the number of people working on shift at any one time.. so could cause some issues at busy times, again, depending on how many people will work there at any particular shift..

think it’s in Cambois on the north side of the road which ran past the old blyth power station site. Road would need to be duelled but baring in mind the investment in BV and what they are doing in the dock I doubt that would be a fraction of the cost - surprised they would be doing it for the port anyway. Agree blyth is good awful to get in and out of.

Ah fair enough not sure how well you know the road to Cambois but it's going to be build to the North of that roundabout to nowhere just as you get off the spine road. So shouldn't be too bad. Agreed with Cowpen Road though, I do believe there's plan for a Bypass though to avoid it. Haven't heard much on it lately tho. No doubt get done in 2024, they'll need something just before the election 😂

Job stopped ?

Not heard anything recently but have heard historically that some of the subbies had walked away (not sure if permanently or temp) but this was a while ago.

Would imagine with inflation and risk across the construction industry the viability of the scheme would be difficult, however always thought Britishvolt was bit of a start up and looking to sell its position or get bought out by a larger company.

Back