Blyth Gigaplant

Seems strange, what with the impending demise of the UK car industry as foretold on here.

More than cars use batteries. I fully expect batteries at home to become more of a thing, like the Tesla powerwall. The idea being you generate power from solar panels during the day when your out at work, store it, then use it on a night when your home but the sun has gone down.

Could it be a big incentive for Nissan to build its next gen of electric vehicles here?

That's what I was wondering, if it was part of the plan to keep them here by bringing a lot of the supply chain closer. I know there has been a lot of work behind the scenes around this

That's what I was wondering, if it was part of the plan to keep them here by bringing a lot of the supply chain closer. I know there has been a lot of work behind the scenes around this
They already have a battery plant at Nissan though? The liquid lithium solution comes from billingham.

More than cars use batteries. I fully expect batteries at home to become more of a thing, like the Tesla powerwall. The idea being you generate power from solar panels during the day when your out at work, store it, then use it on a night when your home but the sun has gone down.
The headline is a bit of a giveaway for its intended use. 8,000 jobs to be created as £2.6bn electric car battery 'gigaplant' heads to Blyth

Last edited:
They already have a battery plant at Nissan though? The liquid lithium solution comes from billingham.

Once we go full electric, they'll need a lot more capacity? Currently electric cars are only a very small portion of new sales.

I've no idea how batteries Nissan make themselves & how much capacity they have to increase that when the demand will increase mind

The headline is a bit of a giveaway for its intended use. 8,000 jobs to be created as £2.6bn electric car battery 'gigaplant' heads to Blyth

headlines are there to grab attention. The plant is there to build batteries, they will end up used for various things.

Article says £1.2 billion funding still needed.Haway Boris unleash coffers.
headlines are there to grab attention. The plant is there to build batteries, they will end up used for various things.
Correct,cannot be solely for cars.

Last edited:
Once we go full electric, they'll need a lot more capacity? Currently electric cars are only a very small portion of new sales.

I've no idea how batteries Nissan make themselves & how much capacity they have to increase that when the demand will increase mind
I stand to be corrected but I don't think the battery plant up there is wholly owned by nissan, it's someone else.

Hope it comes off
I remember Samsung at wynyard and Siemens at cobalt opening to similar fanfare

It's good news for NE - bad news for Wales following in from the ineos/ Ratcliffe decision to build inn France

It's a start up in competition with the big boys..... so excitement needs to be muted until it actually happens.

But good news for NE and (potentially) 1 reason to argue that Nissan may want to continue here
....( to counter the big arguments gathering on the other side of that see saw)

We need battery manufacturing in UK to cement any hope of a future automotive industry post 2030 when all new designs will be electric

Can you imagine if we could become virtually energy self sufficient in our homes. The energy supply companies will be apoplectic.
Why build it there rather than the AMP if all the output was designated for Nissan? Good news for the region but we might need another Tyne Tunnel.
A bigger site maybe?

Back