Blyth Gigaplant

It lives another day…

Ah great news. If we’re ever to rely on renewable energy, battery tech HAS to be improved. The news of this failing earlier today really made me question whether the Uk had the ability to run a large scale r&d and manufacturing business anymore.

Sorry but I don't think this one has legs. It stank from the start (mansions etc) and signs like Mini Cooper moving production to China will not help investors' confidence.

The good news is it seems like the site is attracting a lot of interest.

Isn't the site at Nissan (IAMP I assume?) slated to have a similar capacity and that's actually being built? I wonder if having two so close together is what's putting investors off?

Isn't the site at Nissan (IAMP I assume?) slated to have a similar capacity and that's actually being built? I wonder if having two so close together is what's putting investors off?
No, even with those two we will be under capacity for the UK. We need more plants like this. It appears from the outside that the original owners may been get-rich-quick merchants who were chansing funding. It seems to be a lack of faith in the company rather than the market. Boris Johnson has a track record for taking in charlatans.

Having spent a lot of my life favouring the idyl of Country Durham I am warming to Nortumberland. It has so many facets. The country and the sea. Meat and the fish. The Roman and the Alglo Saxon/Medieval. But the one thing it has always lacked in the industry. Nothing really IN the county that boosts the economy of the region. The Airport is probably the closest to being based in Northumberland that helps the region's economical might. We need big modern industries.

Having spent a lot of my life favouring the idyl of Country Durham I am warming to Nortumberland. It has so many facets. The country and the sea. Meat and the fish. The Roman and the Alglo Saxon/Medieval. But the one thing it has always lacked in the industry. Nothing really IN the county that boosts the economy of the region. The Airport is probably the closest to being based in Northumberland that helps the region's economical might. We need big modern industries.
Egger in Hexham is canny big. York at Prudhoe another.

Egger in Hexham is canny big. York at Prudhoe another.

Also Akzo Nobel in Ashington (might not actually employ that many people)

Port of Blyth I think does ok including the offshore catapult (NAREC) or whatever it’s called.

Biggest issue with Northumberland is the geography of the county and population density.

I don't believe a word BV say to be honest.

At least work has started on the cable factory across the road. That is very big in its own right were it not adjacent to the gigaplant

Back