Blue badges

So you're proposing to undertake means testing of all disabled people for *one part* what they receive from the state, so that in *some cases* when parking is free for disabled people and charged for everyone else, those on a higher income will have to pay? Notwithstanding that only a minority of disabled people are going to be in that income bracket, you're also going to have to have different badges for those people, and train parking people in public and private car parks to tell the difference, *and* have a regular review procedure for people whose income changes. All because some of the people who've received help with their disability (and still need it) haven't been prevented from doing all right?

Yes to all of the above. It's one extra question when applying for a badge "What is your income?" It nowt man! :rolleyes:

If all the normal toilets were in use at the time so they used the disabled one.

Obviously if all the normal ones were free then there’s no excuse.

If you're able bodied there's no excuse to use a disabled toilet man. I used to feel awful changing the bairns nappies in the dual purpose ones with changing facilities in and finding a someone in a wheelchair waiting outside when we left.

Different scenarios as we’ve already established that in many cases disabled toilets are not exclusively for use by disabled people

Not all different scenarios. Would you park in a disabled parking bay?
Why do the majority have locked doors only opened with radar keys?

Yes to all of the above. It's one extra question when applying for a badge "What is your income?" It nowt man! :rolleyes:

Oh I SEE! This isn't the old fashioned means testing where you actually have to provide a lot of documentation for verification and it requires resources and regular review. This is the new MIRACLE means testing where you just ask a quick question and get complete and reliable information that doesn't ever need to be verified or updated.

I'm sure it's not the shittest idea you've ever had, but I'm not sure I want to read any of your shitter ones

And I think that is unfair. Society, where possible, should be inclusive not exclusive. I fully support that disabled people should be able to access facilities and services as readily as those without disabilities. However, if you can afford to, tgen you should pay your own way.

you are excluding those (on a very good wage admittedly) from the blue badge scheme
if you are a blue badge holder, its not about free parking, it is all about being near to an amenity in order to use it.
The fact a person has wealth has nothing to do with it.
apart from administration, it really does not cost the public purse anything.

I can park opposite Gillbridge for the match and I am in agony after the hobble over and afterwards the pain is incredible. I have had this issue for years so I am pretty pain tolerate, but it is sheer agony.

I can also park on the sheepfolds on double yellows. It hurts and after walking back it hurts again but the pain is just bearable but nowhere near as bad as if had walked the extra.

that has nothing to do with money, its not about money, its about being able to participate

Most blue badge holders will be in the same boat as me, or have an even worse disability. My heart goes out to them as their is nothing worse than being physically restrained from participating

If you're able bodied there's no excuse to use a disabled toilet man. I used to feel awful changing the bairns nappies in the dual purpose ones with changing facilities in and finding a someone in a wheelchair waiting outside when we left.
We had a disabled toilet in the offices I used to work at and it was accepted protocol that you used the standard toilets if they were free but if they were all occupied then use of the disabled toilet was ok.

It worked, and there weren’t loud tuts issued if you came out of the disabled toilet.

Like the majority in pubs, clubs and public places then. The situation you talk of is in small work places etc..
Yeah.

Last edited:
We had a disabled toilet in the offices I used to work at and it was accepted protocol that you used the standard toilets if they were free but if they were all occupied then use of the disabled toilet was ok.

It worked, and there weren’t loud tuts issued if you came out of the disabled toilet.

Yeah.
Would you use a disabled toilet in a pub if the men's were all busy and somebody have left the disabled toilet unlocked? Is that okay in your view?

Again I sympathise with your condition and accept that disabled facilities are necessary for you to use, but are you suggesting that a disabled toilet should remain unused possibly all day everyday until a disabled person comes along, alternatively looking at it from the other extreme angle how would you manage if you went to use the facility and there was a queue of disabled people waiting?

It's a much lower probability of there being a queue of disabled people waiting to use the disabled toilet. From experience, it's usually vacant.

There is often a queue in the ladies toilets. If all the ladies started using the disabled toilet because it was free, then it too would have a queue which defeats the object for people who can't wait in line for medical reasons.

Would you use a disabled toilet in a pub if the men's were all busy and somebody have left the disabled toilet unlocked? Is that okay in your view?
For a quick piss possibly yes

I would think many would do similarly at a footy match at half time

If however someone asked if they could use it as they had a disability, I would naturally let them go ahead.

It’s called being practical

Last edited:
I have one for the old man but wouldn’t dare use it without him in the car. However wife has had a total hip replacement recently and they can’t offer temporary badges for her so have been using it so she doesn’t have to walk too far and has enough room to get in the car. Am I going to hell?

you are breaking the rules and are running the risk of the badge being withdrawn / prosecuted. a guy on the ground could turn a blind eye (correctly I think), but if it became official ...

If however someone asked if they could use it as they had a disability, I would naturally let them go ahead.

Sorry you're wrong, it's called being arrogant and having a fuck you attitude.

Defeats the object of there being a disabled toilet.

Only an absolute prick would use it, rather than just wait for a normal toilet to become available imo.

you are breaking the rules and are running the risk of the badge being withdrawn / prosecuted. a guy on the ground could turn a blind eye (correctly I think), but if it became official ...
It’s a wrap sheet I can live with and not think twice about.

Defeats the object of there being a disabled toilet.

Only an absolute prick would use it, rather than just wait for a normal toilet to become available imo.

Nah, if I’m at a customers business and need the bog they often say just use the disabled one.

Good thing about disabled bogs are they are very spacious - enough room to swing a cat.

Yeah.
We have a disabled toilet at work. I dare say it will be fine using it at 4 in the morning when the chances of a disabled person requiring it are nil. If no one in your office was disabled and the likelihood of disabled visitors is slim then happy days. I think the beef is with the twats who use disabled facilities in public places when they're more than capable of using the regular bogs...

Back