Blue badges

If you are perfect fly able to walk back and forwards to your car from a proper car parking bay and round town shopping you don't need a blue badge for FREE parking
I see people parking down the bottom of grey street and walking up into Newcastle city centre and round the shops all days yet claiming they are disabled and need free parking
My dad's got Parkinson's some days his walking is fine sometimes it isn't so you think he shouldn't have one.

It makes my life a shit load easier. I have crippling but random fatigue from chemo and susceptible to infection if I overdo it - which has happened and it's a twat on top of the rest.

I don't look like I need one, but I can lash out my mangled up abdomen from the operations, "baby-foggy "incisional hernia protruding like a f***ing rugby ball wrapped up under the NHS corset they gave me to make me less mutant on the out, oh and the chest port protruding from my chest skin as a bit of evidence of the shit going on inside.

Sorry I'm not bald, ashen and rake thin like my illness stereotype..

It makes my life a shit load easier. I have crippling but random fatigue from chemo and susceptible to infection if I overdo it - which has happened and it's a twat on top of the rest.

I don't look like I need one, but I can lash out my mangled up abdomen from the operations, "baby-foggy "incisional hernia protruding like a f***ing rugby ball wrapped up under the NHS corset they gave me to make me less mutant on the out, oh and the chest port protruding from my chest skin as a bit of evidence of the shit going on inside.

Great post.

And sorry to hear that btw, sounds horrific.

Last edited:

Why lad are you just on here whinging again?

The amount of doctors/consultants who hang about in car parks amazes me.

When I was younger I would get stopped all the time by arseholes asking me why I was parking in a disabled bay basically because I wasn't 70. They soon shut the fuck up when I got out of car and looked at the clip of me walking. It's a badge for people with a disability not old age

To those moaning about blue badges - my wife (no) has been in crippling pain for 25 years and gets so depressed she often contemplates suicide. She even finds sitting in the car too painful for anything but short journeys. Our lives have been completely derailed because of her illness, and I have my own problems as well.

If anyone wants her blue badge, they are welcome to it - provided they’re happy to take on her condition, of course. She’d prefer to have her life back.

The tests for things like blue badges and DLA are very stringent. Of course, people can use disabled people’s badges illegally, ie not transporting the badge holder. It happens, it’s hard to police. I’m just as concerned about arseholes who park in disabled bays illegally because they’ll ‘just be a few minutes’. I despise those selfish bastards, the punishments should be much harsher.

I’m tired of idiots stigmatising vulnerable people. It’s cowardly.

I’ve no complaint about blue badge holders. I feel it is a good scheme and I’m glad to see the comments regarding hidden disabilities.

The two routes to eligibility are either automatic entitlement via qualifying benefits or an assessment by a therapist. Both require reviews of medical conditions.

The abuse for me not so much the badge but when the benefit is used for the car mobility scheme and then used by othes and not to the benefit of the person with the condition.

You could argue there are hidden benefits, but there are other people who may have caring responsibilities which are unable to benefit like this and this is what is unequal.

People are so judgemental aren't they? Or perhaps they hate to see someone getting something they don't have, like a 'free' parking space. She uses a stick and often has to sit down when we go out somewhere. So by the time she comes out of a shop she can barely walk. So I feel for your wife having to cope with that for 20 years.

Nail on head for me, lots of people can't stand the fact others are allowed to do things they can't.

Blue badges should be means tested. Fair enough make parking as close to entrances as possible but why free for all? I've worked with a few people who've legitimately qualified for a blue badge due to disability but were earning in excess of £50k. Why should they park for free? Especially in this day and age with contactless payments, etc.

My dad who is 75 and since suffering a stroke is a badge holder, will drive to the local supermarket and if he's not getting out whilst Ma Leg goes shopping he'll park in a normal bay.

The blue badge scheme is really abused.
its not about free parking, it is about being able to park nearer the ameniety

Should move the parent and child ones further away to tackle youth obesity, why should the fat little fuckers get to park up closer to the supermarket?

Anyone parking in a normal space with kids under 16, should be fined.
Not sure how my two one year olds can walk to the supermarket across the car park like, but I suppose it’s never too old to tackle obesity in babies who’ve only just stopped drinking milk.

The parent and child bays are as much about the extra space to get kids out as they are about not having kids running around a busy car park.

Not sure how my two one year olds can walk to the supermarket across the car park like, but I suppose it’s never too old to tackle obesity in babies who’ve only just stopped drinking milk.

The parent and child bays are as much about the extra space to get kids out as they are about not having kids running around a busy car park.

Never too young to make sure they are hitting 10k steps a day. Much more effective a policy than any sugar tax imo.

the most openly abused benefit around
Good Friday was sitting in the car outside of st Marys church waiting for wife who had run round to m and s
Yes I had paid for my ticket
of the 3 cars parked in the bay's and 4 cars parked in the loading bay and disabled bays there was only one person who looked anywhere near disabled an old guy trying to walk with sticks
One women got out of the car and ran across the road to avoid a bus coming down fawcett street
Everyone of them fraudsters
Most are using them as free parking and relying on people been too afraid or embarrassed to challenge them
Today in morrisons bloke and wife and kid who had obviously been walking on the beach dodged in front of me and all three climbed that small wall up into the car park and got into a car with blue badge being displayed
Government needs to think this one through again as it openly and blatantly abused

others with valid reasons for using blue badges should be doing their bit and challenging the fraudsters as they are giving the genuine users a bad name
Do you really care?

Not every disability is visible.

I've had the same crap off people for using disabled toilets because "I don't look disabled" :neutral:
@becs I totally forgot to tell you about my last experience in a disabled loo.

Was at a service station on the A1, waiting outside the disabled loo that (of course) was also the baby changing. The person inside was taking f***ing ages and the kids were starting to whinge.

Eventually, the door opens, an almighty waft if disgusting shitey smell seeps out and a very sheepish looking Steven f***ing Taylor creeps out without even an apology for having a massive smelly dump in the disabled/baby changing.

(Googled later and he’s at Peterborough now and they were playing Blackpool, the team bus was outside)

I wasn’t quick enough to make my objections known and call him a smelly mag, but I was livid.

Steven Taylor’s shite f***ing stinks and he uses disabled loos.

@becs I totally forgot to tell you about my last experience in a disabled loo.

Was at a service station on the A1, waiting outside the disabled loo that (of course) was also the baby changing. The person inside was taking f***ing ages and the kids were starting to whinge.

Eventually, the door opens, an almighty waft if disgusting shitey smell seeps out and a very sheepish looking Steven f***ing Taylor creeps out without even an apology for having a massive smelly dump in the disabled/baby changing.

(Googled later and he’s at Peterborough now and they were playing Blackpool, the team bus was outside)

I wasn’t quick enough to make my objections known and call him a smelly mag, but I was livid.

Steven Taylor’s shite f***ing stinks and he uses disabled loos.
:lol: This has legs

Unlike poor Colin the spider.

Back