Blue badges

My wife has had fibromyalgia for over 20 years so I know what you mean. The problem is that you sister will be limited how far she can walk even with crutches and if the pain sets in because she has to walk too far then she will be stranded. So limiting how far she needs to walk is essential. People can't see pain.
People are so judgemental aren't they? Or perhaps they hate to see someone getting something they don't have, like a 'free' parking space. She uses a stick and often has to sit down when we go out somewhere. So by the time she comes out of a shop she can barely walk. So I feel for your wife having to cope with that for 20 years.

If you are perfect fly able to walk back and forwards to your car from a proper car parking bay and round town shopping you don't need a blue badge for FREE parking
I see people parking down the bottom of grey street and walking up into Newcastle city centre and round the shops all days yet claiming they are disabled and need free parking

And what area of disability medicine is your doctorate in?

What, you mean diagnosing disability requires a proper assessment by someone with medical or other subject matter expertise, rather than a quick glance from some nosy ignorant prick in a shopping centre?

I've tried to find the thing, possibly on The Poke, in which someone complained about a company's white van regularly using disabled parking spaces and the company response was, paraphrasing, "It's my business, I have an artificial leg, lost the original in Iraq".

People are so judgemental aren't they? Or perhaps they hate to see someone getting something they don't have, like a 'free' parking space. She uses a stick and often has to sit down when we go out somewhere. So by the time she comes out of a shop she can barely walk. So I feel for your wife having to cope with that for 20 years.

If the distance is too far then even the two crutches are no good so we use her wheel chair. Even then the disabled bays are essential because they give you more space to get in and out the car.

PS: She was given the wheelchair by Social Services 20 years ago but my wife had a new assessment of need recently and the OT said they don't issue free wheelchairs anymore, you have to buy them for about £70 for a basic one.

Last edited:
Sunderland Councils policy on the issue of blue badges are that they will only issue a blue badge to disabled people who have the relevant number of points relative to the actual restrictions in a persons mobility such as difficulty in walking or blindness which requires a personal helper or such
As far as I am aware deafness and other disabilities which don’t affect a persons mobility do not count towards getting a badge as far as Sunderland Council goBlue Badge scheme - Sunderland City Council

Last edited:
I get sick of people complaining about this. My sister has fibromyalgia and has one. On a good day if she isn't in pain and manages to go to the shops she uses it. And there are plenty of morons who feel the need to comment about what they perceive to be her lack of a disability. Absolute gobshites.
I have a friend with that painful disease, some people think they have more knowledge than any consultant and better eyesight than anyMRI scanner.

If the distance is too far then even the two crutches are no good so we use her wheel chair. Even then the disabled bays are essential because they give you more space to get in and out the car.

That's a major thing for many people who can use the spaces.

As far as I know, disabled toilets are simply a facility suitable for use by disabled people, not exclusively for their use.

Totally correct.

I get sick of people complaining about this. My sister has fibromyalgia and has one. On a good day if she isn't in pain and manages to go to the shops she uses it. And there are plenty of morons who feel the need to comment about what they perceive to be her lack of a disability. Absolute gobshites.
Yes.
This world is full of people that seemingly 'know best' , whilst actually knowing fuck all about what they're spouting about.

I have a friend with that painful disease, some people think they have more knowledge than any consultant and better eyesight than anyMRI scanner.
People can be horrendous. I was in a taxi the other day and the driver said he has got a blue badge as he has MS but he barely uses it as he gets too much abuse from people thinking he's pulling a fast one. He even told one abusive bloke he had MS who said 'Well if you really had MS you wouldn't be able to drive.' Unbelievable.

People can be horrendous. I was in a taxi the other day and the driver said he has got a blue badge as he has MS but he barely uses it as he gets too much abuse from people thinking he's pulling a fast one. He even told one abusive bloke he had MS who said 'Well if you really had MS you wouldn't be able to drive.' Unbelievable.

But that's the selfish, paranoid society we live in...

One-legged Afghan war hero criticised for parking in a disabled spot | Daily Mail Online

Forgive the DM link, but saw this on Facebook. Sounds like the sad old twat who tried to report the lad is in the same boat as the OP.

That's the one I was looking for earlier...

Abuse.....using someone elses badge, like grannys when she isnt there should be hammered.
Get more enforcement out there.

So, we need to pay more tax or reduce services elsewhere?

Back