Bloody teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.

nz joe

Striker
My 12 year old grandson has had a great season ,leading the stats in batting ,bowling and number of catches for his club side. Regularly scores 25 retired and had two 50 retired in an area tournament .
Gets selected for a national primary school qualifying tournament ,where there are no retirements and you can bat as long as you like .
He's on 84 not out after 49 balls and his daft bloody teacher retires him ,without even giving him one more over to get his ton .
I know the teacher wanted to give some others a bat but the next four batsman mustered 10 between them .
Still can't get my head around him denying a 12 year old the chance to score a century.

My 12 year old grandson has had a great season ,leading the stats in batting ,bowling and number of catches for his club side. Regularly scores 25 retired and had two 50 retired in an area tournament .
Gets selected for a national primary school qualifying tournament ,where there are no retirements and you can bat as long as you like .
He's on 84 not out after 49 balls and his daft bloody teacher retires him ,without even giving him one more over to get his ton .
I know the teacher wanted to give some others a bat but the next four batsman mustered 10 between them .
Still can't get my head around him denying a 12 year old the chance to score a century.

Teacher did the right thing. If your grandson is a decent cricketer he will get plenty more opportunities to score 100s. Its important that all kids under 12 are given a fair crack of the whip to keep them interested in the game, regardless of whether they could only muster 10 runs.

Cricket loses enough young players through disinterest and although Im sure it would have given you and the family something to be proud of if he got that ton, the teacher was looking at the bigger picture.

Who'd be a teacher or a coach eh?

Maybe one of those who mustered 10 between them, wouldn't have returned next time if they didn't get to even have a bat.

Exactly the sort of answers ,I expected from the PC brigade . He knows it's a team game ,has no trouble every week in retiring to give his mates a go . He captains his club side and knows the importance of giving everyone a go.
The teacher had highlighted the fact ,that in this particular tournament ,there would be no retirements , so that the better players would get the chance to build an innings .
At least he should have given him another over, it's not as though he had opened the innings and taken up all the overs ,there were still 8 to go .
If he didn't mean it he shouldn't have said it .
Interesting that the teacher did nothing to have a word with the little darlings who threw tantrums when they were out ,which several of them did . But that's okay isn't it you want them to come back .

If he's scored 84 he's clearly been given the chance to build an innings and done so. Mission accomplished so now let someone else have a go. Nothing wrong with a 12 year old having a bit of a tantrum when he's out- shows he cares. Just think you're taking it a bit too intense nzjoe. Just my opinion, no offence intended and sincere apologies if any has been taken.

If he's scored 84 he's clearly been given the chance to build an innings and done so. Mission accomplished so now let someone else have a go. Nothing wrong with a 12 year old having a bit of a tantrum when he's out- shows he cares. Just think you're taking it a bit too intense nzjoe. Just my opinion, no offence intended.

Just a bit pissed off that he ,the teacher didn't tell him ,have one more over and then you can retire . Especially as he had made the point before the start that there would be no retirements . My Grandson had been down to bat at 11 in the first game ,so the others had already had a chance to bat . I'm not disagreeing, with the teacher changing the order around to give them all a go ,just his inconsistency.
To my grandson's credit ,he was dissapointed but didn't moan or anything like that .

Exactly the sort of answers ,I expected from the PC brigade . He knows it's a team game ,has no trouble every week in retiring to give his mates a go . He captains his club side and knows the importance of giving everyone a go.
The teacher had highlighted the fact ,that in this particular tournament ,there would be no retirements , so that the better players would get the chance to build an innings .
At least he should have given him another over, it's not as though he had opened the innings and taken up all the overs ,there were still 8 to go .
If he didn't mean it he shouldn't have said it .
Interesting that the teacher did nothing to have a word with the little darlings who threw tantrums when they were out ,which several of them did . But that's okay isn't it you want them to come back .

Not sure what political correctness has to do with it mind.

It's more a case of keeping young cricketers in the game and not allowing them to become disheartened. If your grandson at 11 can bray 84 from 40 odd he will get more opportunities. Unfortunately, his knock doesn't do a lot for the opposition or his team mates at that age. Good and responsible Coaches / teachers should take that type of thing into consideration.

Another positive of him not being allowed to continue to his ton is that it will keep him hungry.

Just a bit pissed off that he ,the teacher didn't tell him ,have one more over and then you can retire . Especially as he had made the point before the start that there would be no retirements . My Grandson had been down to bat at 11 in the first game ,so the others had already had a chance to bat . I'm not disagreeing, with the teacher changing the order around to give them all a go ,just his inconsistency.
To my grandson's credit ,he was dissapointed but didn't moan or anything like that .
Good - he'll meet disappointments and perceived unfairness and has to learn to deal with them. Best wishes to him for the future -hope he gains as much pleasure from cricket as I've had.

Good - he'll meet disappointments and perceived unfairness and has to learn to deal with them. Best wishes to him for the future -hope he gains as much pleasure from cricket as I've had.

Yeah , I have calmed down about it now and would of been quite happy if they had had to retire at 50 as that is achievement enough. It's just that by letting him carry on to where he was realisticly just an over away from a ton was a bit of a downer for him .
He's a good lad and I'm pretty sure he will carry on at High School as he loves the game ,his Dad was a good first grade cricketer .

how many overs were left when the lad was retired?

Maybe one of those who mustered 10 between them, wouldn't have returned next time if they didn't get to even have a bat.

They all batted the previous game as the usual batting order was reversed ,grandson didn't bat . It was a tournament of 4 games over two days . Over the 4 games everybody got to bat at least twice and all bowled some overs .

Last edited:
with 8, I feel he could have let one over more and then retired or out

Just rang him to clarify..........he wouldn't have picked you:D
:lol: I played once for the cricket team. Football was my main focus but I didn't play for the school between the first and fifth years but by playing well in inter house games forced my way into the school team. I had a "teenage rebel mode going" with a few other characters during the 2,3,4th years.

always got an "A" for PE though

scored a canny few goals anarl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back