Bloody dross!!! What would you pay for good work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ajax_andy

Been doing a little looking around and have come across a fair few 'pro togs' around the North East who are charging more or similar prices to me, yet their work is utter garbage! I'm talking selective colouring, no use of flash, out of focus shots, plastic portrait pro faces... the list goes on and on and is seriously all the things someone who bought an entry level DSLR put it on auto and went 'wayhey I'm a wedding photographer!' would do.

I'm not prepared to post any links but I just don't understand how and why people book these clowns! I bet most don't have insurance, and aren't registered with the tax man... in fact I'm so certain a large part of me is tempted to compile a list and send to HRMC.

Ok they probably aren't stealing any potential clients from me as they are largely shooting fat chavs in ugly venues, but it's starting to annoy me a little (more than a little)... and then you look at their testimonials page and they have glowing references from happy clients... WTF?!

Looking at what they charge vs what I charge, then looking at the fuck all effort they've put in to learning even the basics, the shit equipment they have (and don't know how to use) and the lack of effort put in to PP I'm starting to think I should up my prices... so here's the question my rant is leading too...

As a semi normal member of society what would YOU pay for a wedding photographer for a full day i.e bridal prep to 1st dance. Don't base this on my current prices or what you think is normal... just genuingly what you'd feel you would shell out.

Edit - Pics on disk (roughly 350 - 400) in high and low res, no album included

effort where it is needed marra, I wouldn't even bother wasting your energy worrying about them.

They're shit, and basically assist better, pro photographers by providing perspective.

I'd pay around a grand for a full days graft from a pro photographer; but in reality I've loads of mates who do it so would get it for nowt.

Yep, spend your time winning business rather than worrying about them

Plenty in my trade too, but I just think fair play, you're obviously a better salesman than me

effort where it is needed marra, I wouldn't even bother wasting your energy worrying about them.

They're shit, and basically assist better, pro photographers by providing perspective.

I'd pay around a grand for a full days graft from a pro photographer; but in reality I've loads of mates who do it so would get it for nowt.

Aye just annoys me a bit... I guess it's the problem with unregulated industries and anyone can do it, just lots don't bother to learn how to do it properly. I think the thing that's winding me up is I'm too cheap and need to put my prices up, but at the same time haven't really got the rep yet to allow me to do it. Still I think I'm going to up it to around what you said soon... I've applied to go part time at work so I'm starting to look at how to pay the bills with the combined day job & photography so need to start earning more from the photography really[DOUBLEPOST=1377082646][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yep, spend your time winning business rather than worrying about them

Plenty in my trade too, but I just think fair play, you're obviously a better salesman than me

Aye I guess anyone with a camera can set up and start charging people... I'm getting a decent level of business and know things are moving in the right direction, just shocks me how much someone with an entry level DSLR on Auto dares charge

did see something similar on Facebook yesterday, half the shots were OOF, Canon starter DSLR with a kit lens, no flash, bad editing - totally over saturated etc. I think a lot of the time the majority of people don't know what a good shot is.

My sister is getting married in Florence, she asked if she'd get a decent photography for 5k.......yes, yes you would.

Aye just annoys me a bit... I guess it's the problem with unregulated industries and anyone can do it, just lots don't bother to learn how to do it properly. I think the thing that's winding me up is I'm too cheap and need to put my prices up, but at the same time haven't really got the rep yet to allow me to do it. Still I think I'm going to up it to around what you said soon... I've applied to go part time at work so I'm starting to look at how to pay the bills with the combined day job & photography so need to start earning more from the photography really

money is short these days and people probably look at a photographer as secondary to the day. I had booked another wedding off the back of the last one (his best man) but he cancelled saying he couldn't afford it! hey ho.

The yanks pay fortunes for photographers for everything, we don't seem to have this culture.

Aye just annoys me a bit... I guess it's the problem with unregulated industries and anyone can do it, just lots don't bother to learn how to do it properly. I think the thing that's winding me up is I'm too cheap and need to put my prices up, but at the same time haven't really got the rep yet to allow me to do it. Still I think I'm going to up it to around what you said soon... I've applied to go part time at work so I'm starting to look at how to pay the bills with the combined day job & photography so need to start earning more from the photography really[DOUBLEPOST=1377082646][/DOUBLEPOST]

Aye I guess anyone with a camera can set up and start charging people... I'm getting a decent level of business and know things are moving in the right direction, just shocks me how much someone with an entry level DSLR on Auto dares charge

I suppose in my line it's far harder to find business, so fewer try. I think you just need to find the correct routes to advertising yourself and you'll do ok

Nobody ever makes much from photography anymore without a long building process for a business[DOUBLEPOST=1377082950][/DOUBLEPOST]
money is short these days and people probably look at a photographer as secondary to the day. I had booked another wedding off the back of the last one (his best man) but he cancelled saying he couldn't afford it! hey ho.

The yanks pay fortunes for photographers for everything, we don't seem to have this culture.
Always an interesting question why yanks will pay thousands for landscape work too

I think it's because they don't have the tradition of landscape painting that we do

Wouldn't surprise me if Joe Cornish prints go for many thousands in 100 years or so. Not much use now

I suppose in my line it's far harder to find business, so fewer try. I think you just need to find the correct routes to advertising yourself and you'll do ok

Nobody ever makes much from photography anymore without a long building process for a business

Pro photographers have opened shops on Tynemouth highstreet and Royal Quays. Both decent, and I'm lead to believe the one on Tynemouth high street is doing very well.

Having seen your work it's much better then theirs, immeasurably better TBH. Ever fancied an open gallery?

did see something similar on Facebook yesterday, half the shots were OOF, Canon starter DSLR with a kit lens, no flash, bad editing - totally over saturated etc. I think a lot of the time the majority of people don't know what a good shot is.

My sister is getting married in Florence, she asked if she'd get a decent photography for 5k.......yes, yes you would.

Hmm £5k you say? Interestingly that's what I'm putting my prices up to... can you recommend me? ;-D

In all seriousness I'd jump at the chance to do a wedding in Florence... would cost more than my usual packages as you basically lose the day before and after due to travel, but it'd definitely come in considerably under £5k :)[DOUBLEPOST=1377083123][/DOUBLEPOST]

Aye that's true like... especially up here. Plan is to start targeting Edinburgh as well eventually and move to the borders and do Northumberland and Edinburgh where the money is good[DOUBLEPOST=1377083193][/DOUBLEPOST]

Nobody ever makes much from photography anymore without a long building process for a business

Yeah I suppose they'll not be around in a few years and I still will be... you're right about the long process of building a sustainable business and it's something I've tried to do from day one.

Pro photographers have opened shops on Tynemouth highstreet and Royal Quays. Both decent, and I'm lead to believe the one on Tynemouth high street is doing very well.

Having seen your work it's much better then theirs, immeasurably better TBH. Ever fancied an open gallery?
It's a constant yes/no debate

A gallery is expensive, tying etc etc[DOUBLEPOST=1377083364][/DOUBLEPOST]
bite the bullet on a cheap front in York man - you'd do well.
There's no cheap in York

My best option is partnerships, and finding the right one

do the royals not like flash? Can't understand why they've blown the background to expose them correctly...

do the royals not like flash? Can't understand why they've blown the background to expose them correctly...

Flash isn't allowed as it affects their cloaking device and shows them up to be the reptilian overlords they really are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back