Block paving

Our old concrete drive is looking bit shabby now , few neighbours have block paving but they look bit Shite after couple year , lose colour , dip and get weeds. That patterned concrete sounds a canny idea mind , I hasn’t considered that
do you live in sunderland

Did you need it for kerb ?

If you're still on a site that is still currently under construction, no, not for a dropped kerb.

If the council have adopted the land, then you need permission for anything that would affect a public highway.

I can message you the number of the bloke at the council if you will need it. He will tell you if you need any permissions, who the inspectors are, or if you just need to go ahead and get it done

if you have a look at hastings hill, Sevenoaks drive at the junction with Kirkwood ave there are a few examples of modernised drives. it is all open plan, so don't have to peer over fences etc. It may just give you an idea for you to find your preference

Had our block paving took up and replaced with imprinted concrete last year.
Really happy with it and it looks spot on.

Thinking about doing the same with ours mate... haven't measured it up properly but guessing at about 7m x 7m .. going off what you paid any chance you could give me a ball park figure ish ? Cheees. ...

Also adds to the likelyhood of localised flooding due to the fact the concrete doesn’t allow water to sink through quick enough
Requires permission now due to this.if a surface is non permable adequate drainage must be provided it seems.Mine just runs off straight into a surface water drain on the roadside.

Does that need treating every year?
If you like the shiny look yes.I don't, itlooks too false for me.never sealed mine in years.like the rustic look.:)

What he says....block paving is out of date now...printed concrete is the way to go...adds value
to your house unlike block paving
You must factor in the liklihood of ever having to dig it up for pipes or cables. You cant patch the imprinted concrete, its Fucked for good, cant be repaired.

Last edited:
Requires permission now due to this.if a surface is non permable adequate drainage must be provided it seems.Mine just runs off straight into a surface water drain on the roadside.

If you like the shiny look yes.I don't, itlooks too false for me.never sealed mine in years.like the rustic look.:)

You must factor in the liklihood of ever having to dig it up for pipes or cables. You cant patch the imprinted concrete, its Fucked for good, cant be repaired.

I had a mains gas leak under my garage floor and driveway.

The “repairs” that network gas did have sank 2 years later. Funnily enough they only guarantee for 12 months.

Had to pay for the drive to be patched up

Back