Bloat ware dell laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusty

Midfield
Just got a new dell inspiron 5000 series laptop and obviously comes with all of dells shite on.

Was going to just do a fresh install of win 10 to get rid of it. Few issues I'm considering is dell make there own drivers so will win 10 auto detect and install the correct ones?

Secondly it has office pre installed so how would I re download this as I have no product key?

And thirdly it comes with 20gb of Dropbox storage I'm assuming I would loose this too?

Any advice except format the fucker?

You'll keep your Dropbox storage surely, as it is cloud based and you'll have an account?

I imagine your Office product key would have come included in the box?

Failing that, I think it is registered to your Microsoft account now, so if you have one of them I think it may well remember that you have Office on it.

EDIT: I have just looked at my Microsoft account. If you register the copy of Office on your laptop at the moment to your Microsoft account, it should remember that you have a copy registered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Installing Win10 takes about half an hour. Far better to do a clean install and get the drivers. Win10 will get the ones it can find, any it doesn't you'll get from the Dell website (without the bloatware).

Whenever i buy a laptop i ALWAYS do a full re-install.
one of the laptop makers actually shipped a keylogger in with their "bloatware" FFS.

As already said i think office is linked via email addresses these days so as long as you've set it up with an email address you can log in on your new install and redownload. Win 10 will auto activate and should pick up the drivers, if not just head off to the dell website and enter the serial number and you'll get them that way.

When I got my HP laptop (it was five years ago now like) I couldn't believe how much shit had been crammed on it. I got rid of it all but still have a tiny partition named 'HP Recovery' that I've never been able to get rid of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back