Blessing in Disguise

It's not a blessing in disguise as there have been plenty of well run smaller clubs than us who have thrived in the Championship and above. There is a real danger that we descend into a mediocre League 1 side, if we're not that already, and languish at that level for a few years. The enjoyment of playing different teams and winning a few games this season, which has seen excellent attendances home and away this year, will soon wear off next season as few have enjoyed the football.

No it's not. At the start of the season we all wanted promotion. Anything else is a failure.
I disagree. If someone told me on the way over the Wearmouth bridge to watch us against Charlton back in August that we were going to finish the season in - let’s just say for argument’s sake - 7th, I would have said “hmmm, well at least we’re going to stop the rot, not get humped every week and see a few wins, that’ll do”.

Of course I want better, but I wouldn’t regard failure to get promoted this season as a failure. Next season - assuming stability this summer in terms of club ownership and manager - it would be different.

I disagree. If someone told me on the way over the Wearmouth bridge to watch us against Charlton back in August that we were going to finish the season in - let’s just say for argument’s sake - 7th, I would have said “hmmm, well at least we’re going to stop the rot, not get humped every week and see a few wins, that’ll do”. :eek::eek::eek:

Of course I want better, but I wouldn’t regard failure to get promoted this season as a failure. Next season - assuming stability this summer in terms of club ownership and manager - it would be different.
:lol: You wouldn't regard failure as a failure eh? Are you the club's new spin doctor?

It's not a blessing in disguise as there have been plenty of well run smaller clubs than us who have thrived in the Championship and above. There is a real danger that we descend into a mediocre League 1 side, if we're not that already, and languish at that level for a few years. The enjoyment of playing different teams and winning a few games this season, which has seen excellent attendances home and away this year, will soon wear off next season as few have enjoyed the football.
See for example Sheffield United, who narrowly missed out in 2012 and stayed down 5 more years. You have to sieze your chances, you can't bank on having success 'next year'.

Last edited:
:lol: You wouldn't regard failure as a failure eh? Are you the club's new spin doctor?

See for example Sheffield United, who narrowly missed out in 2012 and stayed down 5 more years. You have to sieze your chances, you can't bank on having success 'next year'.

You’re missing my point mate. I’m saying that for me, looking at the situation last August, 7th would not have been a failure. I’d have been relieved that we had halted the nosedive.

This team would get thumped every other week in the championship.
Disappointed we've thrown two golden opportunities away this season which could have had us challenging for the title.
But failing to win in nearly half the games this season, after the money spent, smashing the league one record, just shows they aren't good enough.
I'd be amazed if we win the playoffs.
It wouldn’t be the same players if we got into the championship so don’t see your point.

But failing to win in nearly half the games this season

What an oddly negative slant to put on a season where we are on course for 90+ points, lost 3 out of 43 and scored close to 100 goals

I can see Charlton dishing out a proper hiding to us in the play offs. No blessing in disguise about it.
Havwe Charlton come to close to even beating us this season, never mind "thrashing" us?

Blessing? f***ing grow up you pansy.

We would lose more of our better players (McGeady) and would be stuck in this division another year buying nothing but Division 1 players and getting nowhere. We need to go up so we can attract players that will push the team forward, sitting in this division will not accomplish that.

f***ing hell, scared the team (which would be vastly improved upon I'd guess) won't compete in the Championship so lets not bother.. Lets just sit in this division forever eh because we *might* get beat if we go up..

Some of our "fans".....

What an oddly negative slant to put on a season where we are on course for 90+ points, lost 3 out of 43 and scored close to 100 goals

Havwe Charlton come to close to even beating us this season, never mind "thrashing" us?

They battered us in the 2nd half down there. Just a hunch, hopefully way off the mark.

Has a big affect money wise though, McGeady will go...plus others so no it’s not a blessing in disguise
Tell me mate. Sick of asking on here tbh but who is going to take McGeady’s contract on?

I can see Charlton dishing out a proper hiding to us in the play offs. No blessing in disguise about it.
Nah mate

We will make the final and spend another pile of cash on a defeat.
Be typical SAFC to build us all up in the play off semi then revert to type in the final

Last edited:
This team would get thumped every other week in the championship.
Disappointed we've thrown two golden opportunities away this season which could have had us challenging for the title.
But failing to win in nearly half the games this season, after the money spent, smashing the league one record, just shows they aren't good enough.
I'd be amazed if we win the playoffs.
Fuck off, man. I’m absolutely sick of these creeping justifications for us not getting promoted this season.

Back