Blade Runner

Or right ?
Potnentially right in that some species of animal are disappearing at a rate of knots but no artificial animals have been created that I know of. Blade runner and the book it came from looked like it could happen 37 years ago but it never happened. Will it ever happen ?

In fairness, it was a work of fiction... magnificent film, of course!
It was but you somehow wondered if it would come true. It hasn’t. It remains the best sci fi film I’ve ever seen and I’ve watched them all, shite, good and brilliant.

Peerless from the genre.

Rutger Hauer was unreal mind

Edit: Oh go on then

Fabulous sequence.

Last edited:
Potnentially right in that some species of animal are disappearing at a rate of knots but no artificial animals have been created that I know of. Blade runner and the book it came from looked like it could happen 37 years ago but it never happened. Will it ever happen ?

I think this is about as far as artificial lie has come:

Craig Venter creates synthetic life form

From a societal point of view, not sure it will happen with anything beyond single cell lifeforms.

It was but you somehow wondered if it would come true. It hasn’t. It remains the best sci fi film I’ve ever seen and I’ve watched them all, shite, good and brilliant.

Peerless from the genre.

Fabulous sequence.

On this subject, i saw a "Ted talk" a few weeks back that demonstrated that artificial life has already been created. I'll have a quick search and see if i can find it. But on topic, Blade runner just looks like a foggy night out in newcastle.

Just seen Arkles post.

Last edited:
I think this is about as far as artificial lie has come:

Craig Venter creates synthetic life form

From a societal point of view, not sure it will happen with anything beyond single cell lifeforms.
This is how it starts. Someone has an idea, puts it out there are someone runs with solving the problem. There are some massively clever people out there and I’m convinced that one day what sci fi predicts will ultimately come true.

Last edited:
Blade Runner is of course brilliant, but lots of science-fiction predictions were miles off present day reality. We’ve a feeble human presence in outer space, haven’t had a manned mission to Mars, no ray guns, no personal robots, no hoverboards, no flying cars, no space elevators or transatlantic tunnels and not many monorails.

I think that what none of the great sci-fi writers like Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke and Philip K. Dick foresaw was the rise of the internet, and that much effort and brain-power has gone into that, because it makes lots of money. But the way the internet has gone, with the relentless nastiness and stupidity of social media, has been depressing. Also none of the authors above predicted the resurgence of fundamentalist religious conflict. They were too intelligent and humane for that.

Rutger Hauer was unreal mind

Edit: Oh go on then

A comment on this. You create a human, call it a replicant and in its final moments it ultimately reverts to having human emotions. It goes from being a killer to a saviour. How did that happen? Clearly it’s a film but it raises a question about how beings ultimately react at a crucial points in their existence.do people and animals ultimately all have a humane streak in them?

Last edited:
Always found it vastly overrated despite how good it looks.
Everything boils down to personal preference but having watched literally hundreds of sci fi films since becoming fascinated with the moon landings this is, in my opinion, the greatest sci fi film ever. It has everything. A wonderfully evocative film that asks all sorts of questions about where humanity is headed. Philip k Rick produced a genius book, although the film did veer from it at times.

The cinematography is simply stunning. It took a vivid imagination to turn the book into the film.

The story behind the dialogue in this clip is interesting like.

I've downloaded loads of audio clips from this film that I use in my DJ mixes recorded at home.
I love this audio as well as the clip.

'We were made for each other'. Gan's in my soul music mixes.:D

I’ve never seen that clip ever. Where did you pull that from ?

Last edited:
Everything boils down to personal preference but having watched literally hundreds of sci fi films since becoming fascinated with the moon landings this is, in my opinion, the greatest sci fi film ever. It has everything. A wonderfully evocative film that asks all sorts of questions about where humanity is headed. Philip k Rick produced a genius book, although the film did veer from it at times.

The cinematography is simply stunning. It took a vivid imagination to turn the book into the film.

Don't get me wrong it looks amazing still today, just always thought the story for a bit meh.

They didn't set it far enough ahead is what went wrong. Although we're not far from it. Maybe 2050.

The documentary on making it is better than the film itself.

2049 was class anarl
It was and raised an even more important question about what happens if robots reproduce. What does that then say about life and how it comes about? The sequel was long but villeneuve did another superb visually stunning film. I hope that there is a third instalment because the story took an interesting twist that deserves to be explored.

Every sci-if film worthy of the name since Blade Runner owes it a huge debt.

A comment on this. You create a human, call it a replicant and in its final moments it ultimately reverts to having human emotions. It goes from being a killer to a saviour. How did that happen? Clearly it’s a film but it raises a question about how beings ultimately react at a crucial points in their existence.do people and animals ultimately all have a humane streak in them?
I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I was looking at cave paintings from over the world. Every one I saw they drew the animals they killed beautifully but the hunters themselves were just stick men.

Skip forward 30,000 years or so and its self portraits, selfies, the works. Technology and humanity aren't the best mix and replicants symbolise that in a way.

I think we all have it in is to let go of all the bullshit at these crucial times, where we realise we're just stickmen and prioritise what's important

Barry Norman out

Back