Blade Runner 2049 Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this at the BFI Imax earlier today in 3D and loved it.
The visuals are simply stunning, so much so i don't think i really appreciated how good the soundtrack was.
I only watched the orginal a few weeks ago and i think this is defenitely another classic to go with it.

Seen it last night, a few thoughts:

- the cinematographer deserves an oscar, the visuals were stunning. Same goes for whoever scored it, the sound was superb.

- Harrison ford has aged tremendously well

- was slightly disappointed Jared Leto didn't get more screen time as his character was interesting and he acted the shit out of what little he was in

- would say it was 20 minutes too long and such scenes as the hooker sex scene were overly long

Agree about the oscar for the cinematography, amazing.

Would be a well deserved first for Roger Deakins as well, just look at the films he's worked on but never won http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005683/

Last edited:

Just back from the lunchtime showing, where to start.

The visuals are incredible, really takes the vision of Scott and ramps it up again with the scale of the thing (the views down into streets as he flies back to the police station the first time had me in mind of a city as a high tech flavela)

The plot itself is slowly paced and takes care to develop rather than rush like a lot of films seem to do (scene to scene hurtling towards a finish) Villneuve at times really seems to stretch out a scene, with the score building and building until the reveal and the tension in those scenes really pays off - imo.

That score, very very well done, plenty of nods to Vangelis, without being too precious about it - a very difficult balancing act.

Gosling, for me, seems to nail the introverted aspect of the character and it reminded me of his role in Driver. Jared Leto, his character seemed lifted straight from the big book of futuristic baddies, a al Deus Ex games. Nicely done.

Overall, probably the best film I've seen in a year - 9/10

The visuals are incredible, really takes the vision of Scott and ramps it up again with the scale of the thing (the views down into streets as he flies back to the police station the first time had me in mind of a city as a high tech flavela)

The plot itself is slowly paced and takes care to develop rather than rush like a lot of films seem to do (scene to scene hurtling towards a finish) Villneuve at times really seems to stretch out a scene, with the score building and building until the reveal and the tension in those scenes really pays off - imo.

That score, very very well done, plenty of nods to Vangelis, without being too precious about it - a very difficult balancing act.

Gosling, for me, seems to nail the introverted aspect of the character and it reminded me of his role in Driver. Jared Leto, his character seemed lifted straight from the big book of futuristic baddies, a al Deus Ex games. Nicely done.

It's class. Honestly don't know what people are thinking.

It's class. Honestly don't know what people are thinking.

Its mainly the pace for me. There were some cracking bits to it, but by the time it had been unnecessarily stretched out I got bored & kind of lost interest a bit. Each to their own, I can see why some people like it, but equally I can see why others didnt see much to it

I can't believe you didn't mention Joi! I thought that was very well done too. I was expecting to be irritated by any 'love interest' but I wasn't. I rather liked her yellow plastic mac too. :)

Its mainly the pace for me. There were some cracking bits to it, but by the time it had been unnecessarily stretched out I got bored & kind of lost interest a bit. Each to their own, I can see why some people like it, but equally I can see why others didnt see much to it
I didn't feel that it was stretched out at all. It felt like we were on the journey with him. I only looked at my watch once, towards the end.

I can't believe you didn't mention Joi! I thought that was very well done too. I was expecting to be irritated by any 'love interest' but I wasn't. I rather liked her yellow plastic mac too. :)
I did actually find myself thinking we're not far from that tech now, in terms of chat bots and augmented reality - give it 2 years and people will be able to do that stuff with their phones.
Preferred her black top combo personally, though the mac, and the sound effects to convince you she was real, were pretty good.

I didn't feel that it was stretched out at all. It felt like we were on the journey with him. I only looked at my watch once, towards the end.

Fair dos mate, admittedly I was a bit tired when I sat through it & whilst I thought the 1st blade runner was ok I never really got the massive love in for that either. Funnily enough I watched a Japanese manga animation recently - Gantz: 0, I personally preferred that to the blade runners

I enjoyed it, wasn't expecting it to live up to the original and it didn't, but it was very good for what it was, a continuation of the story that opened out the world a bit

The visuals are simply stunning, so much so i don't think i really appreciated how good the soundtrack was.
I only watched the orginal a few weeks ago and i think this is defenitely another classic to go with it.

Would be a well deserved first for Roger Deakins as well, just look at the films he's worked on but never won http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005683/

Spot on about Roger Deakins, as Mark Kermode says the Oscar academy clearly don't understand what cinematography is

Last edited:

And another thing. The cinematographer of the original Blade Runner Jordan Cronenweth DIDN'T EVEN GET NOMINATED. While f***ing Tootsie did.

Haven’t read through the whole thread. Is it a direct remake or completely different plot etc?

Straight sequel, continuing the story 30 years later. They have a new kind of replicant now, but the stuff that went on 30 years before comes back to bite everyone on the arse

Last edited:
And another thing. The cinematographer of the original Blade Runner Jordan Cronenweth DIDN'T EVEN GET NOMINATED. While f***ing Tootsie did.

Straight sequel, continuing the story 30 years later. They have a new kind of replicant now, but the stuff that went on 30 years before comes back to bite everyone on the arse
Cheers

Never bothered much with IMAX before this year but Dunkirk and now this in the last few months have both been superb. Blade runner might be considered a bit long for some folks but its a two and a half hour attack on the senses, Harrison Ford does very well and Goslings virtual totty is also good. I recommend getting the OST , it's available at all good stores or by the usual illegal means, doffs its cap to Vangelis in a big way!

When you say spoil it like with Mad Max, presumably you mean Beyond Thunderdome, because Fury Road was the hound's gonads

Its a good cinema film because of the visuals but basically its a vehicle chase across the desert. I enjoyed it at the cinema but suspect it will lose quite a lot watching it on tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back