Blackface - Ben Cook

I think we need to get past it for the good of society and progress.

It think some people see something to do with race and assume therefore it's racist.

If we are to be truely equal we should be able to emulate or impersonate each other, and equally the same for black peopel wanting to dress up as a white person for a party.

I think it's safe to say that there is a difference between being dressed as someone and doing a minstrel style offensive thing
There is a difference, but the problem comes from any of us on the outside of the scene looking in. Seeing blackface looks wrong. Watching a best of Not The Nine O'Clock News and it was a little jarring to see Pamela Stevenson in blackface doing a Moira Stewart impression. It wasn't done to take the piss out of her, just a comic fully impersonating a newsreader for satirical headlines.

There is a difference, but the problem comes from any of us on the outside of the scene looking in. Seeing blackface looks wrong. Watching a best of Not The Nine O'Clock News and it was a little jarring to see Pamela Stevenson in blackface doing a Moira Stewart impression. It wasn't done to take the piss out of her, just a comic fully impersonating a newsreader for satirical headlines.
Well hopefully over time it becomes less jarring until eventually no one cares.

He did that once. He also found at least two other reasons to do it. :lol:
Yeah I suppose when you're just blacking up to go to the shops it becomes a little suspicious.

I loved that headline 'Trudeau doesn't know how many times he blacked up' :lol::lol::lol:
The worst example of this was the bloke who went to the darts as Dianne Abbott. Without making his face black he just looked like a crossdresser who was shit at maths.
Logon or register to see this image

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
I went to the Queen’s silver jubilee party as a Chinese man. Are my employers going to dig that one up now? After all, the boss is Chinese, he might be outraged by it.

I went to the Queen’s silver jubilee party as a Chinese man. Are my employers going to dig that one up now? After all, the boss is Chinese, he might be outraged by it.
Have you ever tried to sneak in a cheeky Herro without him noticing?

The fact that I don't have the irresistable need to do this anymore shows to myself I'm slowly maturing. Dissapointing really.

Atlantic Records UK boss Ben Cook who discovered Ed Sheeran quits after dressing up as member of hip-hop group Run DMC at a birthday party seven years ago

"The British music boss admitted he had made the 'terrible mistake' seven years ago at a party when guests were asked to come dressed as their favourite musical icon. "

"But he was defended by grime MC Wiley, who worked with him on the 2008 hit Wearing My Rolex and tweeted: 'Ben Cook is not racist. Give that man back his job."

It doesn't actually say in the article he blacked up his face but I've got to assume that's what's happened.

Obviously dressing up as a minstrel or trying to take the piss with blackface is racist and wrong because it was historically used as a tool to dehumanise black people.

But that aside, is it always offensive no matter what? Even if you just want to go to a fancy dress party dressed as one of your idols who happens to be a different race to you?
Somebody 'blued-up' on Strictly a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure how any Smurfs reacted. The public saw through it though and he's been eliminated.

Atlantic Records UK boss Ben Cook who discovered Ed Sheeran quits after dressing up as member of hip-hop group Run DMC at a birthday party seven years ago

"The British music boss admitted he had made the 'terrible mistake' seven years ago at a party when guests were asked to come dressed as their favourite musical icon. "

"But he was defended by grime MC Wiley, who worked with him on the 2008 hit Wearing My Rolex and tweeted: 'Ben Cook is not racist. Give that man back his job."

It doesn't actually say in the article he blacked up his face but I've got to assume that's what's happened.

Obviously dressing up as a minstrel or trying to take the piss with blackface is racist and wrong because it was historically used as a tool to dehumanise black people.

But that aside, is it always offensive no matter what? Even if you just want to go to a fancy dress party dressed as one of your idols who happens to be a different race to you?
Is it fuck . The world has quite literally gone mad .

Back