Blackface - Ben Cook

Aituk7

Striker

Atlantic Records UK boss Ben Cook who discovered Ed Sheeran quits after dressing up as member of hip-hop group Run DMC at a birthday party seven years ago

"The British music boss admitted he had made the 'terrible mistake' seven years ago at a party when guests were asked to come dressed as their favourite musical icon. "

"But he was defended by grime MC Wiley, who worked with him on the 2008 hit Wearing My Rolex and tweeted: 'Ben Cook is not racist. Give that man back his job."

It doesn't actually say in the article he blacked up his face but I've got to assume that's what's happened.

Obviously dressing up as a minstrel or trying to take the piss with blackface is racist and wrong because it was historically used as a tool to dehumanise black people.

But that aside, is it always offensive no matter what? Even if you just want to go to a fancy dress party dressed as one of your idols who happens to be a different race to you?

How on earth could you go to a party as your favourite pop icon without blacking your face if it was Bob Marley or stevie Wonder. I’m the most PC person going but that’s ridiculous

The worst example of this was the bloke who went to the darts as Dianne Abbott. Without making his face black he just looked like a crossdresser who was shit at maths.
A mate of mine who is way more liberal PC than I'd ever be, super non-offensive bloke genuinely said I need to get some makeup for a party once cos he wanted to go as the fresh prince of bel air.

I stopped him and explained that people could interpret that really badly etc. so probably not worth doing but it did make me think why can't he do it? It's not offensive and lasses put on fake tan all the time.

I went to an 80s themed party as LL Cool J, I didn't get blacked up and a lad stopped me at the hotel reception and told me I looked like Gadget off This Is England :lol:

When I went in a lad I knew was dressed up as Mr T. Fully blacked up. I guess political correctness hasn't reached Wallsend yet.

A mate of mine who is way more liberal PC than I'd ever be, super non-offensive bloke genuinely said I need to get some makeup for a party once cos he wanted to go as the fresh prince of bel air.

I stopped him and explained that people could interpret that really badly etc. so probably not worth doing but it did make me think why can't he do it? It's not offensive and lasses put on fake tan all the time.
It's a hard one to find the balance since blackface has been used to badly in the past. And in a world of social media and an ability to instantly take a hundred photos, such fun that may be taken the wrong way in the public eye is usually going to come out.

It's a hard one to find the balance since blackface has been used to badly in the past. And in a world of social media and an ability to instantly take a hundred photos, such fun that may be taken the wrong way in the public eye is usually going to come out.
I think we need to get past it for the good of society and progress.

It think some people see something to do with race and assume therefore it's racist.

If we are to be truely equal we should be able to emulate or impersonate each other, and equally the same for black peopel wanting to dress up as a white person for a party.

I think it's safe to say that there is a difference between being dressed as someone and doing a minstrel style offensive thing
I dressed my lad up as the Hulk when he was a bairn...I'm so sorry if I've offend any green people out there...
Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:

Atlantic Records UK boss Ben Cook who discovered Ed Sheeran quits after dressing up as member of hip-hop group Run DMC at a birthday party seven years ago

"The British music boss admitted he had made the 'terrible mistake' seven years ago at a party when guests were asked to come dressed as their favourite musical icon. "

"But he was defended by grime MC Wiley, who worked with him on the 2008 hit Wearing My Rolex and tweeted: 'Ben Cook is not racist. Give that man back his job."

It doesn't actually say in the article he blacked up his face but I've got to assume that's what's happened.

Obviously dressing up as a minstrel or trying to take the piss with blackface is racist and wrong because it was historically used as a tool to dehumanise black people.

But that aside, is it always offensive no matter what? Even if you just want to go to a fancy dress party dressed as one of your idols who happens to be a different race to you?
If he was invited to come as his favourite musical icon he could be accused of disrespecting him by portraying him as white

I understand why someone blacking up for the sake of it gets stick but not in this situation

Back