Bittersweet Symphony

Loved The Verve, remember seeing them at Haigh hall in Wigan, cracking homecoming gig. Slept in a park over from Wigan rugby stadium that night. 18 years old, fuck, where's the time gone
Saw them at the Mayfair supporting Ride years ago when they were still called Verve. Great show.

Still shift over 50k via digital downloads or so I was told a few weeks back. No idea what that is worth to an artist in real money but at least he will get something for one of the most iconic songs of my lifetime.
Love the stones but it always pissed me off they took 100% of the money, at least he has "his" property back now in the lyrics. Great stuff from the stones, justice finally done.
People still buy downloads?????

Licensing deals to use the song will be worth a bit though, they use it on ITV International Matches IIRC

About bloody time. Not the Stones' finest hour. Greedy fuckers
It was their management more than anything, not Mick and Keith.

Thought it was a band co-write but, actually, yeah, it's all Ashcroft's. FOur songs on Urban Hymns were co-written by the band. The previous two albums had largely been co-written by the band.
And Mick and Keith's (and Andrew Loog Oldham's). ;)

:lol: He's not exactly humble mind is he... He went on to thank Jagger and Richards for acknowledging he was responsible "for this [expletive] masterpiece".

Last edited:
It was their management more than anything, not Mick and Keith.

A̶n̶d̶ ̶M̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶K̶e̶i̶t̶h̶'̶s̶ ̶(̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶A̶n̶d̶r̶e̶w̶ ̶L̶o̶o̶g̶ ̶O̶l̶d̶h̶a̶m̶'̶s̶)̶. ;)

:lol: He's not exactly humble mind is he... He went on to thank Jagger and Richards for acknowledging he was responsible "for this [expletive] masterpiece".
David Whitaker.

They could have easily told their lawyers to drop it. Or they could have passed on the royalties anyway. They chose not to.
Maybe so but the publishers are a different commercial entity and probably thought they were ensuring that their income stream was being maximised. It's unlikely that the Stones could influence that.

Aye that orchestral version came from the Rolling Stones song which sounds very similar to one from The Staples Singers. Yet David Whitaker, the bloke who did the orchestral bit got fuck all!
(watch it all as canny interesting or watch from 4:36 to hear the compare)

Last edited by a moderator:
Keith Richards once said of Bittersweet Symphony.."If he (Ashcroft) can write a better song,he can have the money for it ." Ironically of course the original none-orchestrated version of The Last Time heavily incorporates a riff played by Brian Jones...I'm sure Keef still sleeps at night fine enough.

Back