Bittersweet Symphony

Bit lost here. In The Verve song there is nothing other than that loop.

Wasn’t it originally from a classical piece anyway, like The Farm’s All Together Now?

No. It's from the Stones The Last Time, used and sped up as an orchestral piece, that then got nicked by Richard.

Did the Stones ever admit to ripping Otis Redding off?

Myth, and also denied by the man himself (presuming you are referring to Satisfaction).

Last edited:
Who didn’t?

Otis. It was apparently by Cropper and Booker. But Wyman debunked it easily in his book, which showed in terms of timescales it was The Stones who wrote it first. Seems as if Otis heard it, didn't know who it was and knocked up some lyrics. Wasn't he often doing covers anyway?

Edit:
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Wikipedia

It seems he was trying to cover it but didn't know/fucked up the lyrics, so that's probably why it sounds the same :lol:

Last edited:
Have the stones only just had their own copyrights returned to them or summit?

Nah. Allen Klein died basically. He was the one they fucked the Verve over. Ashcroft will get all the coin like. If I remember the writing credits correctly from when I used to pour over the sleeve of Verve albums. All the songs pre Urban Hymns were just credited to The Verve. But given the way Urban Hymns came about, some songs on their were credit to Ashcroft, others credited to The Verve ie the ones that came out of jams. With BSS, it was credit to Jagger/Richards with lyrics by Ashcroft. Don’t think there was any credit for the Verve on there. I’ll see what Nick McCabe says about it, if he can draw himself away from moaning about everything.

Ashcroft doesn't seem to have had a problem with the Stones over this as he supported them on their tour last year.

I was at the Manchester gig and just before he played BSS he had a dig at Allen Klein saying this will give him a few more quid.

Still shift over 50k via digital downloads or so I was told a few weeks back. No idea what that is worth to an artist in real money but at least he will get something for one of the most iconic songs of my lifetime.
Love the stones but it always pissed me off they took 100% of the money, at least he has "his" property back now in the lyrics. Great stuff from the stones, justice finally done.

The dispute was about how much the verve used as they paid to sample the song. Pretty sure the stones didn't expect it to become the worldwide hit it became so it was a shite move to demand 100 per cent loyalties after its success.

Back